+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kathleen Madigan, Contestant

That's actually an old joke of hers. it's a joke I haerd her do from one of her older sets. It is a funny joke, and since she's not used it thus far, I can see why she'd throw it in.

FORT Fan
    i seriously doubt she was the first person to come up with the fish/alien abduction bit.....
    her performance at the roast spotlighted everyone's writing ability and ability to come up with new material.....and she did a craptacular job (as she did at most challenges....john was right about the kid challenge in that whoever went last would win since the kids had zero attention span)

/i was figuring she would burn through her best material since she hasn't had to use any in the house, and she would probably make it to the top 3 (with alonzo and john), then she would have a poorer performance next week, leaving it between alonzo and john, who can both write good material.

I loved the John Kerry Joke...

To win the election the day before the election Kerry needs to have a commercial...

All he has to say is that if he isn't elected we are taking away your Ketchup!

Keith S. :{)>

If I were in Italy Italian Idol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard
    To win the election the day before the election Kerry needs to have a commercial...

All he has to say is that if he isn't elected we are taking away your Ketchup!

I only laugh at jokes like that when there is some validity to it. I can totally realte to what John H, Alonzo and Todd G talk about in there sets because there is some validity to it. Kathleen, not funny!
    "I come from humble grounds. I was never spoiled, so I know how to appreciate things given to me"

What more validity...

His wife is the heir to the Heinz Ketchup fortune...although I doubt she controls the operation...but it was funny...

John had his worst set yet...a married guy talking about single life, and it was not that funny...Alonzo I like but I thought he would do better...instead he went out of the mainstream for the South Park humor...Todd continued to disappoint in the competition...his unprepared act might not have been one...

Too cold to run away! Burntcrow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Italian Idol
    I only laugh at jokes like that when there is some validity to it. I can totally realte to what John H, Alonzo and Todd G talk about in there sets because there is some validity to it. Kathleen, not funny!
    it is just youre opinion..Kathleen was funny to me.....Alonzo no.

If I were in Italy Italian Idol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard
    His wife is the heir to the Heinz Ketchup fortune...although I doubt she controls the operation...but it was funny...

John had his worst set yet...a married guy talking about single life, and it was not that funny...Alonzo I like but I thought he would do better...instead he went out of the mainstream for the South Park humor...Todd continued to disappoint in the competition...his unprepared act might not have been one...

I knew that, but there are other ketchup manufacturers other than Heinz. Just face it, she's not on the same level as the other comedians. Makes me look forward to what the comics from LCS1 are going to do to her when they go head to head with her.
    "I come from humble grounds. I was never spoiled, so I know how to appreciate things given to me"

FORT Fan
    I only laugh at jokes like that when there is some validity to it. I can totally realte to what John H, Alonzo and Todd G talk about in their sets because there is some validity to it. Kathleen, not funny!
    Idol, the kind of validity you're talking about is subjective. If you couldn't relate to Kathleen's jokes, fine. But that doesn't mean she's not funny. It just means her perspective wasn't something that resonated with you.

I, on the other hand, could relate to very little of Alonzo's set because I'm not a Black man living in a white-person-dominated culture. His jokes weren't as funny to me. But you obviously enjoyed him.

Laugh and let laugh. It's all subjective, anyway.

I knew that, but there are other ketchup manufacturers other than Heinz. Just face it, she's not on the same level as the other comedians.
    Well, obviously that was a joke and everyone realizes that Ms. Kerry couldn't do that or that Heinz is the only Ketchup. But a lot of jokes are exaggerations. Just like John Heffron's joke about the guys marking their territory; obviously they don't stand in front of women like that and whatever. Comedians twist things to make them funny.

Anyway, on to your point. She's actually more established than most of them in there, so I don't know how you can say she isn't on the same level. You may not find her as funny, but she's no amateur. You could see in her goodbye video that she was very respected and actually feared by the others as far as head-to-heads go. I think if she had been challenged she would have had the chance to gain a fanbase and could have actually done a good job in the Finals.

FORT Newbie
    Just wanted to say how disappointed I was that Kathleen did not make it to the final three. I saw her about 8 months ago on a Comedy Cental cable special featuring women comdedians-and I just loved her style. First, I loved that she was an "equal opportunity" ethnic "jokester"-there was not one ethnic, religiious, etc. population, that she could not find humour in, and in her humour, one realized she was really commenting on the insanity of all bigotry, and the just plain funny aspects within all cultures. I also love the fact that there is not one misogynist (even Tammy makes these kinds of jokes) or sexist (towards males or females) joke/s in her repretoire-no use of slut, "ho" etc. I am not a prude by any means, but I am so weary of people using lazy language to get across "comedy" and somehow, as I get older, more offended by what I feel, even if "funny" sometimes, are jokes that perpetuate cultural norms in subtle ways (sometimes not so subtle) and we just laugh, laugh, laugh, not realizing that maybe there is a whole, new refreshing way to do this. I understand that Corey, and some others who were the worst offenders in this vein were sometimes trying to make a point by doing this, but I fear this goes over the head of many people watching.

Well, just my two cents. At this point, I don't much care who wins. Gary just is not funny enough for me, though pleasant. I guess I would have to give my vote to A., who for the most part has seemed to get better over time, and more refined. But I miss KATHLEEN!!! And I Really did love Jay's brand of humour, though he tended to recycle the same schtick over and over-he stil would have been a second choice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast