+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kathleen Madigan, Contestant

I have been quite disappointed with Kathleen lately. At first I thought she was the strongest contestant out there, and her act was good. The rehearsed one that is. If it is not rehearsed, it is just not worth seeing. I still like her, but I do not think she is the equal of some of the men in the competition who can adapt to the situation far better than she can. Still, I would not mind seeing her in a sitcom (I'd look forward to it), but I don't think she should win this competition.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    I was disappointed as well, Trlittan. When she said that she doesn't like to do roasts, I was surprised. It made me question her ability to come up with new material quickly. I mean, how hard is it to make fun of Jay London? "When I first met Jay I thought he had a familiar look about him, but I couldn't place it. Then he turned back into Doctor Jeckyl." or "Jay approaches personal hygene a little differently than most. My first clue was when he made a trip to Petco when he ran out of shampoo."

Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    I was disappointed as well, Trlittan. When she said that she doesn't like to do roasts, I was surprised. It made me question her ability to come up with new material quickly. I mean, how hard is it to make fun of Jay London? "When I first met Jay I thought he had a familiar look about him, but I couldn't place it. Then he turned back into Doctor Jeckyl." or "Jay approaches personal hygene a little differently than most. My first clue was when he made a trip to Petco when he ran out of shampoo."
    I was disappointed at the Roast as well, especially since she's one of my favorites. But the problem may not have been that she couldn't come up with the material, it may have been that she wasn't comfortable saying the material. I know I could think of some funny (and admittedly cruel) material about a lot of people, but I would never be able to say it publicly, especially with them around. I'd be too afraid they'd take it personally, even if I knew that they were well aware it was a joke. That's just my personality, and maybe that's the way she is as well. If you noticed, most of her rehearsed material is like that too...she's not one to insult or direct her jokes toward a particular person, but rather the topic as a whole. Although I saw her special on Comedy Central and she had some funny material about the hillbillies that aliens meet when they land...oh well, she's still one of my favorites, even if she can't insult people.
    Shows I'm Watching: CSI, Survivor, Without a Trace, Third Watch, X-Play

Quote Originally Posted by l_dogg
    I was disappointed at the Roast as well, especially since she's one of my favorites. But the problem may not have been that she couldn't come up with the material, it may have been that she wasn't comfortable saying the material. I know I could think of some funny (and admittedly cruel) material about a lot of people, but I would never be able to say it publicly, especially with them around. I'd be too afraid they'd take it personally, even if I knew that they were well aware it was a joke. That's just my personality, and maybe that's the way she is as well. If you noticed, most of her rehearsed material is like that too...she's not one to insult or direct her jokes toward a particular person, but rather the topic as a whole. Although I saw her special on Comedy Central and she had some funny material about the hillbillies that aliens meet when they land...oh well, she's still one of my favorites, even if she can't insult people.
    I think that's a big part of it - insults just are not her thing. And she may not be the world's greatest at improv. She's a good standup, though, and that's what this is supposed to be about.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    I think she's just too nice...and there's no way she has the
    personality for a roast. That doesn't mean she's not talented.
    In fact, one of the judges said something like "roasts aren't
    your thing."

Quote Originally Posted by pudman13
    I think she's just too nice...and there's no way she has the
    personality for a roast. That doesn't mean she's not talented.
    In fact, one of the judges said something like "roasts aren't
    your thing."
    I had the same feeling, Pudman. I could feel her discomfort so poignantly that I actually felt beads of sweat trickling into my eyes! (Okay, that was a bit of hyperbole.) But seriously, I have never enjoyed "Roasts"...I know they're all in good fun--but mean, insulting humor turns me off in most cases. Self-deprecating humor, on the other hand, is, as one of the comedians mentioned, funny. I guess that's why fat people making fat jokes is different from thin or average-looking people making fat jokes, or Ant making gay jokes doesn't bug me, etc., etc.

Corey's remarks about the back of Jay's head smelling like pit bull afterbirth, for example, were not at all funny to me. And Gary's "Who the F..k is Norm Crosby?"...the look on Norm Crosby's face was thinly-veiled humiliation. He was clearly discomfited by that offensive remark.
    Last edited by PIKATSSO; 07-08-2004 at 12:22 PM.
    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant

FORT Newbie
    I saw Kathy last night in an Atlanta comedy club. I thought her set was very good. I really couldn't tell she was that funny by watching the show. But, now I hope she does make it to the end.

Too cold to run away! Burntcrow's Avatar

Kathleen is my favorite even though she didn't do much in the house...

I hope she has a strong set to wow the crowd and make it into the top three...It is going to be tough, but I know I will vote for her..

Who is Kathleen Madigan and what show is she on?

FORT Newbie
    Is Kathleen funny? How would we know? She's never even gone up against anyone. I don't think it's fair she's in the top 6. She just kind of sits around. She even complained about not liking the Roast or doing the kiddie clown thing. She really didn't do much of anything so it's hard to measure her talents against the others. She's kind of a whiner. Not really funny to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast