+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Jay London, Contestant

Quote Originally Posted by zapata
    I don't think there is anything wrong with laughing at your own jokes- plenty of stand-ups have done that- Roseanne comes to mind- she did pretty well, Joan Rivers laughed at all her jokes- I didn't even notice- it depends on your style, he can get away with it,.
    I think whoever it was that criticized Jay's laughing at his own jokes was intimating that for Jay's type of humor, the more deadpan, the better. Just because that is Steven Wright's way of doing it, doesn't necessarily make it "right," and while I mostly agree, I'm not certain I subscribe 100% to that theory...I prefer a comic to laugh a little (not obnoxiously, like that Jessica Korin comic) at his/her joke(s) than to explain the joke(s).

In any case, I LIKE Jay's quirky little smile, and the pathetic tone in his voice when he quips: "It's almost over" or "You'll never see me again, sir." JMnotsoHO
    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant

Vertically Challenged LiLSprout's Avatar

Am I old?

I don't know about you Pikatsso but I keep seeing people talking about Jay's humor as old-school blah blah blah old this old that. I'm only 31 and I didn't think I was ready for the home just yet and I find him halarious! Oh great, now i'm tired I think I need a nap.............

Jay is doing something that no one else is doing right now and that is dangerous since we have a world full of followers, but he does it well! I read an interview with him and he said that a well known executive years ago told him to cut his hair and change his clothes..... he didn't and this person apologized a while later when he saw he was wrong. Rumor is it was Barry Katz???? But Jay wouldn't give out any names.

LiL'Sprout
    Stalker for Hire!
    If you hear a noise outside your window..... don't worry....... it's just me.... could you put a step out there for me?

Quote Originally Posted by LiLSprout
    I don't know about you Pikatsso but I keep seeing people talking about Jay's humor as old-school blah blah blah old this old that. I'm only 31 and I didn't think I was ready for the home just yet and I find him halarious! Oh great, now i'm tired I think I need a nap.............

Jay is doing something that no one else is doing right now and that is dangerous since we have a world full of followers, but he does it well! I read an interview with him and he said that a well known executive years ago told him to cut his hair and change his clothes..... he didn't and this person apologized a while later when he saw he was wrong. Rumor is it was Barry Katz???? But Jay wouldn't give out any names.

I think if you come right down to it, Sprout, ALL humor is "old school" revisited and revamped. Don't start loading up your medicine cabinet with Geritol and Metamucil just yet! Jay's style is just a bit more unconventional THESE DAYS, because there aren't too many popular, well-known "today" comedians who work exclusively with clever "one-liners." So Jay's style is considered a "throwback" to earlier times when that style of comedy was more predominant. Steven Wright is by no means "ancient," (mid 1990s I think)...but many of the other comedians Jay brings to mind (Henny Youngman, Rodney Dangerfield) go back a ways.

Don't know who told Jay to cut his hair, etc., but I submit that his quirky "look" is part of his charm and of what makes his "old style" humor fresh.
    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant

he seems like a wonderfully nice guy, but his brand of humor doesn't really strike a chord with me.... it's too reminiscent of the old uncle at christmas throwing the old "chucklers". i really don't know how he made it into the house over others, especially dan naturman and the 18-year old vladimir kid. i understand that the retrogression of his style is seen by soem as a means of progression...but mong the humor that's prevalent today, it seems just a little too old school to make a comeback.

FORT Fan
    for the young folk who don't know stephen wright, check out this link
    http://www.wam.umd.edu/~stwright/rig...venWright.html

FORT Newbie

He is funny!

Jay London is one of the funniest--if not the funniest--comics in the house. The problem is that people don't understand his jokes. To be completely honest, it bugs me when people don't get Jay's jokes. When they have those blank looks on their faces, I'm thinking: "Hello!! Didn't you go to school? Didn't you study this??" Take some time to figure out his jokes and maybe then you'll appreciate him for what he's worth.

Note to PSi: Love the avatar. Very funny skit on SNL.

---------------
    "How do you smile?" - Jay London during a photo shoot.

Diva Di

Jay London's Departure

undefinedundefinedundefined

I am greatly disappointed Jay London was eliminated this evening. He possesses an extraordinary comedic style and obvious intelligence; however, what I find most engaging is his unprentetious, affible and gracious manner. He is a cut above the rest and one of a kind. I hope some day soon he will be rewarded for his talent, diligence and character.

FORT Newbie
    The power went out just before the kids show. I am so bummed to hear that Jay London got booted off. Why watch now when the real quality human with the most endearing humor won't be on. I think this show is rigged. Sad.

I am so dissappointed that Jay got eliminated. I find his brand of stand up refreshing. Sometimes I listen to other comics and they all seem to do pretty much the same thing. I hope that Jay goes on the much bigger and better things now that he got such great exposure.
    I also think Jay is a really nice guy but unfortunately I think that may have been a part of his downfall also. When they were all getting the costumes out of that trunk, and he said it himself, he didn't dive in and find something, he hung back and got what was left. (although I loved his costume personally)

I wish Jay a lot of luck in his future, I really think he deserves to make it.

I was gonna stop watching if Jay got eliminated but I think I may stay on board out of curiousity more than anything.

P.S. Shameless plug....Today's my 40th birthday

FORT Fan
    jay is good at what he does, but it does take a certain appreciation for that type of humor to choose him in a head-to-head matchup.
    i prefer stephen wright in the mid 80's, but he had a lot of really good material, and was the best of his kind at the time.
    the other comics don't get to watch the head-to-head, so i'm wondering what they think of gary winning again???? does it intimidate them since they expected him to lose?
    gary wasn't bad, and if you don't like the one-liner types, it was easy to see how he won.
    it took jay half his set to get the crowd going.
    i was impressed that gary did mostly new material and didn't just pull out old stuff and save the new material for when he knew the home audience would be watching and would not be impressed by seeing old material.

i'm thinking the top 2 are john and alonzo....alonzo has some great material, but his delivery seems off, like he's beginning a speech with a joke to break the ice, then moving on to a speech about how to avoid paying capital gains taxes.

+ Reply to Thread