+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Jay London, Contestant

Vertically Challenged LiLSprout's Avatar

I Love Jay London!

I keep seeing people bashing Jay, but not me. This man cracks me up! I do agree that some of his jokes you actually have to be paying attention to get them because he's not some loud flashy in your face comic. I think that's what I like most, he's just kind of rambling along and the stuff he comes up with is nothing short of genius. And I have a feeling about the way he is in the house...... I can't wait to see how it turns out for him & wish him all the best. I probably wouldn't watch the show if he wasn't there. He caught my attention during the auditions and I just had to see more.
    The man needs to get a website! I'll do it for free!
    LiL'Sprout
    Stalker for Hire!
    If you hear a noise outside your window..... don't worry....... it's just me.... could you put a step out there for me?

FORT Newbie
    The great Pacific Northwest-land of salmon, coffee and Tonya Harding
    I think Jay is the most interesting - he & Alonzo seem to be watching and waiting before making their moves....
    I am not bossy...my ideas are just better!

I absolutely adore Jay. He's my absolute fave this season. On a funny side note-- My (now ex) boyfriend used to be an agent for stand up comics back in the late 80's esrly 90's. We were still dating when ads for this season started-- from another room he heard the PetCo joke, comes running into the room, going "That's Jay! Jay London!".. all excited. I don't think he ever represented Jay, but just kinda knew him from the NY club scene. Unfortunately we broke up right before the series started airing, so I never got the chance for any inside scoop. Just thought that's a cute story I could share with ya!

I think Jay's act would be improved by one simple piece of advice -- Don't laugh at your own jokes. His act is based upon delivering intelligent one-liners. It's undermines the humor to laugh at his own jokes -- it's like those annoying laugh tracks on bad sitcoms.

The deadpan delivery system worked great for Steven Wright, Henny Youngman, and others.

And, it's always good to have quick responses when they audience doesn't get the joke. Jay has some of these already ("You'll get the joke in about two hours, sir."), but using snappy comebacks instead of laughing would do him a world of good.
    -- Flash

John Stamos For President Bob_Saget_Fan's Avatar
    What a funny man!

Vertically Challenged LiLSprout's Avatar

For Those Of You Who Keep Talking About The Man's Hair!

I have no idea when this was taken. I found it on a site dated 2002?
    I think he is halarious and it's not just the way he wears his hair or his clothes.
    LiL'Sprout
    Stalker for Hire!
    If you hear a noise outside your window..... don't worry....... it's just me.... could you put a step out there for me?

FORT Newbie

Lil Sprout's right

I agree with Lil Sprout. Jay London is the only reason I am still watching the show. I love comedy, but Jay is different and that is what makes him so great. I'm always looking for the oddball...the new and different. That is what really gets people notied. Jay and Jim Wiggins were my absolute favorites from the auditions. Mostly because they were unusual and both extremely funny in their own way. I was really upset when Jim didn't make it into the house, because I think he's a lot funnier than most of the other comics.

I like Jay, too- to me, he was the most potential- he reminds me of Robin Williams or Steven Wright- he's different and he's funny- and he's very very watchable - you just like the guy, he comes across as sweet and honest- he could really go far- I could see him doing movies if he developed his character more. There is just something about him- this guy has "star" written all over him.

Quote Originally Posted by zapata
    I like Jay, too- to me, he was the most potential- he reminds me of Robin Williams or Steven Wright- he's different and he's funny- and he's very very watchable - you just like the guy, he comes across as sweet and honest- he could really go far- I could see him doing movies if he developed his character more. There is just something about him- this guy has "star" written all over him.
    I've sung Jay's praises in several other threads on this forum, but Zapata you and Sprout echo my sentiments pretty well. There is just something about his gentle nature (at least the side of Jay we are shown) that makes him eminently likable, despite his rather unconventional appearance.

Someone on some thread said he should not "laugh" at his own jokes...I haven't really noticed that or thought it a problem...I think he has a cute, quirky little smile in-between jokes sometimes...but, again, haven't noticed the "laughing at his own jokes" thing. He's just someone you hope will do well--no matter what the outcome of this show.
    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant

I don't think there is anything wrong with laughing at your own jokes- plenty of stand-ups have done that- Roseanne comes to mind- she did pretty well, Joan Rivers laughed at all her jokes- I didn't even notice- it depends on your style, he can get away with it,.

+ Reply to Thread