+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Jay London, Contestant

Quote Originally Posted by heidi0813
    I know this is sort of a we Jay thread...but I just do not get it. I get his jokes, there's not a lot of thinking involved, but I just don't find them funny. Maybe we Bostonians have a different sense of humor, but I just don't get it. Would it be fun to go to a comedy club and watch Jay London do THAT act for an hour or more.

No "thank you."
    Also from Boston here. Also think Jay kinda bites the big one.

I don't find him funny at all. His jokes are tired and weak and his sets are painful to watch. I think there are many people who find him "innovative" simply because he has a different style from the other comics in the house, but I look at him and I see Stephen Wright with perhaps a little Emo Phillips tossed in for good measure. I seriously cannot fathom why America gave him the wildcard vote.
    Last edited by LaughAtlantis; 08-02-2004 at 02:02 PM.
    Joy
    Blogging away in my LaughAtlantis world...

jay is probably going to win the whole thing since he's so different and popular now. my placings

winner and last comic standing - jay london
    second- gary gulman
    third- john heffron
    fourth- alonzo bodden
    fifth- kathleen madigan
    sixth- tammy pescatelli
    american idol 1= The traditional pop star is found
    american idol 2= Talent over image
    american idol 3= America is on crack

George Huff was the last man standing, good enough for me!

I like Jay a lot, and I find most of his stuff incredibly funny, but I was floored that he got back in. His last two performances were very sub-par, mainly becasue he overdid the self-deprecating part of his routine and because his self-deprecation was always exactly the same (ie: "I'm sorry you have to witness this"; "you'll never see me again"). He's too damned funny to have to use those same lines over and over again so it seems like insecurity, and that kind of insecurity is painful rather than amusing. Hopefully, getting back in will give him enough of a confidence boost that he ditches his insecurity and gets back to the funny.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughAtlantis
    Also from Boston here. Also think Jay kinda bites the big one.

I don't find him funny at all. His jokes are tired and weak and his sets are painful to watch. I think there are many people who find him "innovative" simply because he has a different style from the other comics in the house, but I look at him and I see Stephen Wright with perhaps a little Emo Phillips tossed in for good measure. I seriously cannot fathom why America gave him the wildcard vote.
    Not innovative. He's actually kind of old school. That's not necessarily a bad thing. This isn't about how innovative he is, it's more about whether or not this is a type of comedy you like. A lot of people just HATE puns. And a lot of other people (or even some of the same) just HATE performers who interact with the audience. And a third group (or even some of the same people) just HATE the "Poor Me" type of comedy, even if its done in jest. Add those together and I'm sure there are plenty of legitimate reasons to hate him. But if NONE of those hatreds applies, you might like him.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I might like him more if he had the great material that Stephen Wright and Emo Phillips has. That's where Jay comes up really short. He has a few great lines, but unfortunately a lot of his stuff is kinda lame.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by PSi
    well it could be because they wanted to take out other, more annoying contestants, such as bonnie and todd.

also, anyone have any info on this guy, like where he's performing or a website or anything?

Yeah, he has an official website at jaylondonlive (you'll need to add the dot then the com to that). It's still under construction, but his schedule should be up soon, and there will be a feature where people can send him fan mail! As for his schedule, he's supposed to appear, along with Gary Gulman and Alonzo Bodden, at Caroline's NYC Aug 13~15 and at Tampa Improv Aug 19~22... there are a bunch of other dates too, but these I know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    Not innovative. He's actually kind of old school. That's not necessarily a bad thing. This isn't about how innovative he is, it's more about whether or not this is a type of comedy you like. A lot of people just HATE puns. And a lot of other people (or even some of the same) just HATE performers who interact with the audience. And a third group (or even some of the same people) just HATE the "Poor Me" type of comedy, even if its done in jest. Add those together and I'm sure there are plenty of legitimate reasons to hate him. But if NONE of those hatreds applies, you might like him.

Normally, I can at least see your side, Krom, even if I don't agree with you. This comment, however, doesn't make sense. If a comedian like London can fall into three categories of why people might not like him, how could he possibly win? Obviously, there's something people like about him, though it is beyond me, but your'e simply citing more reasons NOT to. Yet, he won the wild card...

FORT Newbie

London's Bridge Still Hasnt Fallen Down

I'll start by saying Im in Jay's corner. Still i think his last two shows have been off nites as far as the audience was concerned (not for me, however). The audience just wasn't feeling him.

As Krom has said repeatedly, he's an acquired taste. But then Krom is prolly like me: i like the offbeat comics that people don't get (or wanna get) like Steven Wright, Emo Phillips, Mitch Hedberg, Dimitri Martin, Rodman, Maria Bamford, Tig; or throw in Andy Kaufman (who some absolutely HATED!) or Andy Kindler (who useta bomb on purpose and didn't seem to care).

As a kinda laid-back, offbeat comic myself, it's kool with me if the audience is uncomfortable not sure to laff or wince or boo,even..LOL. One's standup style can be as distinct as our personalities.

I wouldn't get too seriously bent outta shape about it tho. If you like someone's act--nice. If not, that's okay too.

Personally, i've learned to be at peace with the idea that some have called me "not funny." But i like what Steve Martin had to say one day on NPR about that: "People may not get you but just keep performing because soon you'll find one person, then two--and before you know it, you'll have an entire audience made up of people who do get you. That's how i did it."
    Great advice. That works for me. And i recommend it to any comic who's struggling to find their voice on stage even though you may not be the "funniest."
    Jammer Bicks

"I started out to change the world, now--finally, i see; that it's more important that i keep the world from changing me."

Idol Fan
    I find the arguments here 'kinda' funny myself (tongue-in-cheek). Actually, it's crazy to argue personal taste. I love Jay's humor and his sweetness. I thought tonight he was wonderful and loved all his new material. What has me rolling my eyes is how many people who don't like him seem to fail to get that his self-deprecating pieces are part of his act, his persona for his act, in the first place! C'mon people, he's an entertainer. And in my opinion, a terrific comedian.

The only one who outdid him tonight was Alonzo, imo.

No, this isn't just about our liking him for his sweetness and integrity in failing to backstab other people. He happens to be very, very clever and funny and I am thrilled for him that he did so well tonight!

Funny how so many posts who put him down are people who love Todd - someone who makes me nauseous and who I don't find funny at all! Who'd a guessed?!

Great work, Jay!

After tonight, I hope we see Alonzo, Jay & John, in that order in the finals!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

P. S. JammerBicks - loved your post!
    Last edited by Bellenote; 08-04-2004 at 06:03 AM.

Diva Di

Tuesday Night's Show

undefinedundefinedAs usual, I find myself agreeing a lot with what Krom has to say and Bellenote as well.

If you've ever performed in a competition, you know going out first is poison. No one wants to be first and with good reason. Nevertheless, Jay went out went out there and did what he had to do Tuesday night. He was in top form and the audience was ready to eat what he dished out.

Now let's address "the nice guy" vrs the "funniest comic" issue. Whether it is agreed upon or not, this is, in part, a popularity contest. Actors, singers, comics, musicians owe a lot of their success to their image---how the public perceives them. Admit it, if we don't like a particular popular personality, we don't become fans no matter how talented they may be. Finding favor with the audience, especially to the degree Jay London has managed, is a testiment to his personality as well as his talent. Folks aren't going to vote for him if his material is poor any more then they would if his material was great but he had the personality of a viper.

Haven't we all been in situations, and for those like me this has happened many times, when all we wanted was to spit out one good line as a comeback for some unpleasant comment some equally unplesant individual sprang on us (usually in a public setting)? What do we often do when we find ourself the loser in a given situation? We try to say things to make others laugh so they are laughing with us instead of at us.

I believe Jay is popular because people relate to him. At times, most of us feel like an oddball person on the inside. If we're honest enough, most of us can identity with someone who wants to please the masses, wants to be accepted, but finds him or herself feeling like the outcast, a bit freakish, a bit unworthy. Whether this is really him or not (and I tend to believe it is organic to him), Jay London has put this vulernability most of us seem to share in front of us. In a way, he is our mirror. We can either relate and laugh at ourselves through him or not like it or not get it. When the audience voted for him, I think they were voting for the piece of themselves they saw in Jay. I know I did.

Frankly, I am not sure how this will end. Although I hope Jay wins, I am not sure that will be the case. I thought all of the men were very strong last night. While Kathleen was enjoyable, she didn't impress me. Tammy, on the other hand, is tiresome. I was especially impressed with Alonzo and John. (And, of course, Jay too!) Gary did a fine job as well.

Jay London may be an odd-looking, strange fellow with a quirky sense of humor to some, but I love it...package and all!

BREAK-A-LEG, JAY LONDON!!!

Many blessings and lots of laughs to all. :-D

Diva Di

+ Reply to Thread