+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Jay London, Contestant

Jay London Gig's

Quote Originally Posted by PSi
    jays' the best. is there a website for him or a way to find out where he's performing?
    I have a page on my Jay London website that can answer that question for you, click on the TOUR link.
    "Thank-You"

I know this is sort of a we Jay thread...but I just do not get it. I get his jokes, there's not a lot of thinking involved, but I just don't find them funny. Maybe we Bostonians have a different sense of humor, but I just don't get it. Would it be fun to go to a comedy club and watch Jay London do THAT act for an hour or more.

No "thank you."

Todd Glass should have won the wild card.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Pikatsso! Long time no see!

Jay's not my favourite, but I'm very pleased to see him return. The most worthy of the ousted comics.
    Hey, AJane!!! Thought I should stop monopolizing the FORT for a while.

I was really happy that Jay won...I just like him...I love when he "moves over here..." He seems so damn sweet and vulnerable, and I DO think he's funny.

BUT...I was THRILLED that Bonnie was kicked out first AGAIN--she actually has some really funny stuff and even a "kinda cute" delivery, and I swear she had a nose job, because she really looked a lot prettier...but then she'll say something so crude, abrasive or insulting that it makes you really dislike her...there's just something discomfiting about someone who comes off so self-deprecating and self-adulating at the same time. Someone said it best in an old posting...she is one of those "fringe" girls...the "girls don't like me because I'm so cool and am such a threat to them, but who cares...guys WANT me" kind...YECH!!!!!!
    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant

FORT Fan
    I was glad to see Jay win because he seems like a great guy. I don't think he's funny but, the competition wasn't great either. I've seen cory holcombe several times at the Improv, always uses the same joke. Interesting to see him sober though :o

The Girl With FORT-itude saltyj's Avatar
    I'm very glad Jay got the Wildcard. (What's creepy is that the eliminations went exactly how I predicted them in my mind right before the show...) I really really like his comedy. I repeat it to people all the time, but most people just don't understand what I'm talking about...I hope he wins. If it hadn't been Jay, I would have wanted Todd in. Thank goodness for Bonnie getting kicked out first. Yaaay.
    Viva La Vie Boheme!

Quote Originally Posted by Teppo
    I was glad to see Jay win because he seems like a great guy. I don't think he's funny but, the competition wasn't great either. I've seen cory holcombe several times at the Improv, always uses the same joke. Interesting to see him sober though :o

Is this supposed to be a competition about who seems like a great guy?
    Fine, he's a great guy. But if he's not funny (which he isn't) why should he win?

And what's all this about "most people just don't get his jokes"? That's bologna. Couldn't it be possible that they DO get them, but they just don't find them that funny? I was an English major. I understand a play on words when I hear one, but to me it's not comedy. It's clever, cute but not REALLY funny.

ISN'T COMEDY SUPPOSED TO BE FUNNY?

Todd Glass should have won the wildcard.

Quote Originally Posted by heidi0813
    I know this is sort of a we Jay thread...but I just do not get it. I get his jokes, there's not a lot of thinking involved, but I just don't find them funny. Maybe we Bostonians have a different sense of humor, but I just don't get it. Would it be fun to go to a comedy club and watch Jay London do THAT act for an hour or more.

No "thank you."

Todd Glass should have won the wild card.
    I don't think any contestant thread here has to be a "love" thread. I will say, since I like London, as I have said before, that his comedy is a type that I think either appeals to you totally or not at all (it's not about "getting it" as the person above also suggests in a later post, it's like how different foods appeal to different people). It's like... when you watch old tapes of Henny Youngmann going "take my wife, please"... well, some people will see it as ludicrous and like it and some will see it as ludicrous and yet totally hate it.

Basically his comedy has two main components:
    1.) Puns - I know from experience that people's reactions to puns vary wildly
    2.) Self-depreciation - Ditto. Also mix in a dash of audience participation, a la Don Rickles.
    Last edited by Krom; 07-31-2004 at 11:55 AM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

okay, KROM. I can buy that. So, I guess I'll just say, I don't like sushi and I don't like Jay London.

Jay does seem to be that rarest of birds--a comic completely lacking in bone-knifing sarcasm. It may just be part of his act, but if so, he's an outstanding actor and needs to set his sights a little higher than the outcome of this show.

While Jay's outward appearance is always good for a laugh, the self-deprecating shuffle while peering through that mass of hair gets really boring after you've already seen his act once. He does have some genuinely laugh-out-loud bits, but a string of one-liners does not make for a strong act. The best comedy has a strong story-telling structure & Jay seems like he doesn't have the attention span required to set up a punchline.

It's obvious that Jay got the pity-feel good vote. Todd Glass was the better choice. Out of that group, he's the only one whose comedy has national, not just niche, appeal.

FORT Fan
    i like jay just fine....yes, he seems like a nice guy....but i have to agree with people asking how many of his 'fans' posting he is a nice guy would actually pay $30 to watch the same one-liners we've already seen.
    back when stephen wright was doing the same type of act (had the petco hair, but not the caveman persona) he was funny because he had a ton of really good material. jay's fans should google stephen wright and enjoy, but they will come away less impressed with jay's limited material
    after the craptacular first season of lcs, how can we let this turn into another last nice guy standing???????

+ Reply to Thread