+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gary Gulman, Contestant

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpshaker
    Ah! Yer crazy! Gary's hysterical! Of course the jokes don't sound funny ... cuz you quoted them completely wrong!

Go Gary!
    Yeah...I don't think it's GARY whose delivery is off.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by hikari
    Gary reminds me of a much funnier, much (much) taller Richard Gere. Anyone else think so?
    How tall is Gary? He towers over Jay Mohr and I have never thought of him as short.

FORT Newbie
    The telling of the joke is more important than the joke itself?

Sure, he's charming, and he delivers well, but the core of the jokes are just unintelligent.

FORT Fan
    What is "intellegent" about the core of any joke?

Quote Originally Posted by Teppo
    How tall is Gary? He towers over Jay Mohr and I have never thought of him as short.
    I paid attention to Gary when he mentioned his height because he's as freakishly tall as my husband - 6'6".
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxsayssticks
    The telling of the joke is more important than the joke itself?
    Actually, yes. Delivery is everything. If you don't like Gary, then use Jay London as an example. A lot of his material is lame, but he's honed a delivery that makes it funny.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fan
    actually, i think gary's delivery is better than his material.
    his best bit, the pill, i have heard from at least one other comedian.
    the sugar cookie bit i have heard before, but not the oreo bit....which was kinda stupid.
    he's a nice guy, but kathleen will probably get into the final 3 since she didn't burn a lot of material in the house and saved her best stuff for the finals, and alonzo is a good writer and has some good material, and his fans probably won't do like heffron's fans and toss a sympathy vote to jay london....i'm guessing alonzo and kathleen will make it, and third spot will be between gary and john....and gary's biggest block of voters are voting for him because he's cute, so they won't be losing many sympathy votes to not-so-cute jay london.....heffron will lose more votes to people being nice to jay, i just hope he doesn't lose too many and come in 4th behind gary

Quote Originally Posted by jer2911
    ... but kathleen will probably get into the final 3 since she didn't burn a lot of material in the house and saved her best stuff for the finals
    Kathleen didn't use all that many jokes because she never went to the head-to-head. I don't think that's right. Just doesn't seem fair to me.

I DO think Gary is absolutely beautiful to look at, but I'm not just voting for him because of that ... really ... I mean that sincerely ... {I can tell you don't believe me} No, seriously, I just adore his delivery and his material. I think he's a funny guy and I would definitely pay to go see him at a club. I also believe he'd be very successful as a sitcom star.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Geez. I'm not 13 years old, I didn't toss a vote Gary's way because he's hot. :rolleyes I guess you can't be good-looking AND funny.

I'm old enough to remember Burt Reynolds being a HUGE star and sex symbol in the 70's, and making several comedic movies that apparently an awful lot of people thought were pretty damn funny (although I'm not a Smokey & the Bandit fan myself). Matthew McCougnahey is is gorgeous and has starred in a couple of successful comedies.

Is it not OK to be easy on the eyes and make us laugh, too?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Geez. I'm not 13 years old, I didn't toss a vote Gary's way because he's hot. :rolleyes I guess you can't be good-looking AND funny.

I'm old enough to remember Burt Reynolds being a HUGE star and sex symbol in the 70's, and making several comedic movies that apparently an awful lot of people thought were pretty damn funny (although I'm not a Smokey & the Bandit fan myself). Matthew McCougnahey is is gorgeous and has starred in a couple of successful comedies.

Yeah! What she said! {high five!}

Now, when's the next "We Gary" Fanclub meeting?
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Teppo
    What is "intellegent" about the core of any joke?
    If you actually have to think in order to get the laugh, if the laugh is memorable, if it actually took any measure of skill to write and deliver the joke... These are the reasons I haven't been impressed with Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Of course.

But you've gotta make them earn the laugh.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast