+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gary Gulman, Contestant

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by navycake
    Hmmm....

Would that be the Tonight Show with the very same talent scouts used by LCS? So, basically, you'd already auditioned for these mopes, been found worthy of getting on Leno... then we're all supposed to hold our breaths to find out whether or not they think you're also good enough for LCS?

See, getting on The Tonight Show used to be the "holy grail" for stand-up comics. It was a benchmark that said to the stand-up world, "This comic is special, and now worthy of national attention." But ever since Leno took over, all sorts of mediocre comics are making it onto the show.

I think LCS should be about helping separate the gems from the rubble, focusing some attention on talented NOVICES, and then promoting the best of them up to national status. Instead, it's being used as a venue to give comics who already are at a national level additional exposure and promotion. It's little more than a P.R. stunt disguised as a "talent competition."
    I agree with everything you said.
    I don't see why everyone thinks he's so good looking, a lil cute but not all that. Ah well..

Anyway, I don't think he's that funny.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipse
    He doesn't have his own material. So many of his jokes I have heard have been taken from other comics. He needs his own stuff.
    Which comics? The Gulman clips I can think of are:

The Pill ("You know which one I'm talking about")
    The Muffin Man bit
    The Cheerleaders
    A bit of something about self-adhesive notes...

I thought the first two were pretty funny (topic, delivery). Of the comics he seems less likely to repeat himself (based on the editing).

Ah, he's okay. He may be "the sleeping dragon." I'm still waiting to see who that is.
    "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense."
    Good luck to the Good Guys on the Inferno!

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith
    Which comics? The Gulman clips I can think of are:

The Pill ("You know which one I'm talking about")
    The Muffin Man bit
    The Cheerleaders
    A bit of something about self-adhesive notes...

I thought the first two were pretty funny (topic, delivery). Of the comics he seems less likely to repeat himself (based on the editing).
    I actually find him pretty amusing and I am sometimes a hard sell. Maybe there should be a rule that he has to be shirtless throughout the show. Maybe that will make him even more enjoyable. Has anyone seen his bod? Just a thought...

FORT Newbie
    I have seen Gary live when he was touring with Dane Cook ealier this year in Orlando. He is much funnier that he is being edited to be. He does a "cracker/cookie" bit that is FUUUUNE! My wife and I still quote parts of that set to this day (To me that is the sign of a good comic...one whose jokes stick in your head and everytime you repeat them you still smile..but more importantly you remeber the comic!....That is one of my goals in stand-up..to have others quote my jokes..then I know I have made a connection!)

Hope Gary is the next to go. IMO he's lower than Ant. Ant is a drama queen, but Gary is just boring and a waste of space. Reading while on national TV? Um, does this guy even want to be on TV?

FORT Regular
    As upposed to taking naps and snoring during the day on nation wide TV?

At the end of the day Dat won cause he was cute and had 3 good bits. Gary is way more than cute and also has at least 3 good bits. Any questions?
    And what would that sound like DAG?

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    I think these may have been taken in that photo booth they vote in.
    Another good one, Krom!!

Quote Originally Posted by navycake
    I think LCS should be about helping separate the gems from the rubble, focusing some attention on talented NOVICES, and then promoting the best of them up to national status. Instead, it's being used as a venue to give comics who already are at a national level additional exposure and promotion. It's little more than a P.R. stunt disguised as a "talent competition."
    Very eloquently stated, Navycake...I think that's what many of us viewers expected and were looking forward to last season. You ought to pitch the idea to some network execs! LOL

Then again, I'm not sure if Mordal was a "novice"...but he wasn't a household name before LCS1 to the best of my knowledge...and he definitely is now (at least in my house!). To be quite honest, I don't think I had heard of or seen any of the comics from last year's show before the program. I know some of them were known by others...but they were new to me. I would LOVE to see Dave and/or Ralphie (in particular) perform live. And Dat Phan (I believe) was a novice...and although he had some funny stuff, people (sadly myself included) rip on him all the time.

And I have seen several of the comics from this year's show on Comedy Central or other such venues, but certainly not ALL of them. And yet I am enjoying the show and discussions about it quite a bit so far.

So...??????

Gulman is most definitely a very handsome man. Some of his material is very funny (I personally loved the Cheerleader bit), and some "not so much." But I think his timing and delivery are excellent, and that he, like John Heffron, is a very charismatic guy with enormous potential.

I'm racking my brain trying to remember what he did at the laundromat...too lazy to go upstairs right now and check the TIVO recording...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast