Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you find Jay London's one-liners funny?

FORT Fan

Do you find Jay London's one-liners funny?

Because personally, I dont. There is absolutely no flow in his set. He has no opening and has no ending lines. He is just throwing out one-liners out there, like the comics Herman, whilte comparing to, say the least funny #21 Jim Wiggans, the way Jim throws up some of his one-liners after his setup imo is a lot more brilliant. So I dont think he is funny enough to get a stand O.

I personally didn't like it at all. No flow what so ever. I like a nice lead off and then the joke.

He is funny. Like, if he was an opening act at a club, I'd be like "I like this guy. He's different." But I don't think he should have gotten in the house either.

I think we've had this question about 10 times in various topics.

What I said then still applies. It's an old-school thing. Henny Youngman crossed with Steven Wright, with small touches of Don Rickles. Very un-modern comedy. Personally, I love it--since he does it really well.

thinks he's so smart MyNameIsKenny's Avatar
    Here, in a microcosm, is what I think about Jay:

Jay: I work at Bed Bath and Beyond.
    Me: Ha ha ha ha!
    Jay: I work in the Beyond department.
    Me: (dying) BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Jay: Someone asked me where the bathroom was, and I told him it was Beyond me.
    Me: (stone faced silence)
    Hot news just in -- Michael Jackson has a new album coming out. That's right, folks, it's called [pedophilia joke].

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    I think we've had this question about 10 times in various topics.

What I said then still applies. It's an old-school thing. Henny Youngman crossed with Steven Wright, with small touches of Don Rickles. Very un-modern comedy. Personally, I love it--since he does it really well.
    Well I suppose you might have guessed that I'd be with you on this one, Krom. Even if he never said word one, he has such an orphan-like quality about him that it would feel cruel to reject him. But I agree, he does the one-liner thing very well. I do hope that if he gets challenged during the show he will have some new stuff, though.

Quote Originally Posted by PIKATSSO
    I agree, he does the one-liner thing very well. I do hope that if he gets challenged during the show he will have some new stuff, though.
    If he's been collecting them for as long as Jay Mohr implied, I'm sure he's built up a nice large collection of them.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

some of em werer funny, some of em were stupid. Overall I think he did well enough to get in the house.

PSi
    Krom's right. it's an old school style that has been slowly fading. Some people like it, some people don't. that's how comedy is.
    i like him, though.

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    In a word, no. Mainly because I don't get most of them The one-liners I do get (or think I get) come off really really really corny to me.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast