Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you find Jay London's one-liners funny?

If I were in Italy Italian Idol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dvm
    In a word, no. Mainly because I don't get most of them The one-liners I do get (or think I get) come off really really really corny to me.

"I come from humble grounds. I was never spoiled, so I know how to appreciate things given to me"

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    If he's been collecting them for as long as Jay Mohr implied, I'm sure he's built up a nice large collection of them.
    I hope you're right, Krom. But the dilemma for these comics must be:

1. Do I use my best stuff at the audition to nail a recall...or

2. Do I save my best stuff for the competition if I am recalled...or

3. Do I keep my very best stuff for the finals to get into the house?

Obviously, if they are not one of the seasoned comics who already has been "invited" to participate, they're going to want to put their best foot forward at the auditions, so some of that material is likely to be seen by the TV audience at least twice...probably more...whereas the "invited' guys can save their best stuff for when they think they need it the most

Also, the sets, as we know, are edited so that we don't see all the same stuff during the different steps of competition--but then we don't necessarily see their bad stuff until later. It's all so manipulative, that I guess if they want us to like Jay London (or whoever), they'll show us some new stuff...but on the other hand, they can make us think he is a one-"line" pony by just showing us the parts of his routine we have already seen.

I know this "revelation" is hardly original, just something that's been floating around in my head, because it seems like so many of us on the FORT (myself included) are so dismayed when we have to hear a comedian performing the same ol', same ol' (a la Dat Phan)...

I guess I was thinking about how it could really hurt JL if they keep repeating that "4th guy in the evolutionary chain" thing, even though it is probably his best "intro" joke.

FORT Fogey
    I find his actual jokes to be rather lame. However, I believe it's his odd appearance that somehow makes his jokes funnier to people. In a field of boring jokesters (by that, I mean the other comics were not particularly unique)... he was at least original to look at, even if his one-liners were corny. Unless you really LOVE him, I have a feeling his act could get old quickly. JMO.

He is not one of my favorites. Rodney Dangerfield seems to be his father, as far as the joke genre goes. I don't think he is even close to being funny. As far as the evolution chain, he is Neanderthal to me. Not funny.

I agree with Krom. Some of the older, successful comics do one-liners. I like it better than a certain comic who got into the house using jokes that are all about the SAME thing. There's a certain wittiness and originality to London, and he has confidence so that makes me feel comfortable while watching him. I'm glad he's in the house and hopefully has enough material to make it far.
    "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense."
    Good luck to the Good Guys on the Inferno!

Quote Originally Posted by famita
    He is not one of my favorites. Rodney Dangerfield seems to be his father, as far as the joke genre goes. I don't think he is even close to being funny. As far as the evolution chain, he is Neanderthal to me. Not funny.
    Ooops...my bad! It was evolutionary CHART, not CHAIN as I inaccurately quoted below...my God...I made the guy into some kind of amoeba or something...

I think some of his jokes fall flat, but enough of them are good and there are so many of them that there are more laughs in his set than most people's. I like comics like him--I like surreal humor--and as the style goes he's pretty good. I don't mind a few duds as long as some make me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by famita
    I don't think Jay London is fit to clean Rodney's boots, but that's JMO.

His one-liners are lame (although I do like the 4th-man-from-the-left evolutionary chart joke) but his persona and delivery redeem him in my eyes. I have no problem with him being in the house at all, and I prefer him to the sleep-inducing comedy of Kathleen Madigan.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I definitely do not think Jay London is funny. Not his one-liners, not his delivery. I don't know about this venerable tradition of one-liner comedy. Sure, back in the day that style of comedy may have been around but there were still people who hated Rodney Dangerfield (like my dad). Just like how now, some people think Jay London is funny and some people would rather sprain both ankles then run to catch the bus rather than listen to the guy.

Maybe it's more like evolution. People got tired of one-liners and started ignoring people who did them (I know some people think/thought Rodney Dangerfield is funny, but where is he now? Guest starring in a bad Simpson's episode? And Henny Youngman? You can buy a joke book written by him on amazon.com. A JOKE BOOK.).

I think George Carlin is a shining example of an older comic who's still around today, one who appeals to young and old (he has a great album recorded at a college -- they loved him), and who isn't a one-liner kind of guy. I think George Carlin would pants Rodney Dangerfield if he got half the chance.

One-line comedians irritate me because they skip from one topic to the next so abruptly. When you talk to someone (or listen to someone) who talks about five completely different things in five short sentences (I was in the grocery store... Butterflies scare me... I don't understand cricket... etc.) don't you just want to kick 'em in the shins? Or at least slip them a Ritalin?

I like it when the comedian gets in front of the audience and just seems to naturally talk about funny stuff, like it's coming from off the top of their head. I know that this definitely isn't the case, but I like that illusion. And there's nothing faker (more fake?) than "here are some jokes I wrote. Let me tell them to you. What do you think about this one? And this one?"

-- jm

thinks he's so smart MyNameIsKenny's Avatar
    I know some people think/thought Rodney Dangerfield is funny, but where is he now? Guest starring in a bad Simpson's episode?
    Living fat and wealthy as one of the most respected and beloved comedians of all time?
    Hot news just in -- Michael Jackson has a new album coming out. That's right, folks, it's called [pedophilia joke].

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast