+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Mohr defends LCS

Quote Originally Posted by addikted
    I'm surprised to see so many people so passionate about the talent issue. I knew last year that the format of this show didn't lend itself to finding America's funniest comic. It was obvious when Dave Mordal became a casualty of the system, obvious when America voted for Dat Phan. This show is essentially Big Brother with comedy face-offs instead of HoH challenges.

As someone so astutely pointed out in another post, we supposedly found America's "funniest" comic last year ( )!! It really is the "hype," i.e. YOU WILL DECIDE. WHO WILL BE THE FUNNIEST?, that is to blame for most of the resentment (as pointed out far more eloquently by others in this thread--unfortunately far too many to comment on at this point--but so many VERY interesting, astute remarks!!).

I like the format of the show. There's plenty other venues to see pure standup comedy, so I just enjoy this show for what it is.
    [/QUOTE]

Well put!!!

Someone also very perceptively pointed out that the real winners of this show are the comics who (whether or not they even make the actual show at all and just get in on the auditions that are broadcast) get noticed and get people interested in seeing more of them!

I’ve sat on the sidelines long enough. I’m fine being a spectator – most of the time. I read almost all of the postings and watched religiously last year. The key show I missed and never went back to see the rerun of was one of last year’s semi’s. That may have affected my original opinion about last year’s shows.

Since I waited so long to take the plunge, this will take a minute, I appreciate your patience and wholly expect someone will feel compelled to flame me – because we are so emotionally attached. Even though it’s “only a TV show”.

Last year it was a great premise – search for the funniest person in America. Everyone knew (should have known?) that they meant new people that were not established. They could have done things differently last time, but given what we know now, I think they just handled the deception better. If not, I personally can’t believe Buddy Hackett and Phyllis Diller would have stood for their BS.

Looking back, viewing each of last year’s 10 house people individually you see how they could have been chosen for how they made HOUSE TV instead of just comedy. But by and large there wasn’t a lot of bickering over someone “not belonging”.

I believed it then, and it has been engrained now that Jay Mohr & Co perpetuated a great fraud on the public last year. Dat Phan funnier than Dave Mordal???? Yeah, sure, the audience made that vote. Dat Phan funniest person in America????? Yeah, all of America made that vote. Probably the same ones that voted for American Idol?

Okay, like belly buttons, everyone has an opinion. This is not about Dat bashing. That horse is so dead he’s flogging himself.

I wouldn’t go across the street to see Jay Mohr (but I watched the show). VH1 has him on a list of the 100 greatest comics? I don’t think he could make a hyena laugh. I think Tess was a waste of time too. Sean, thankfully, was dispatched soon enough. I dwell on this momentarily to illustrate the point, let us digress no longer.

Fast forward to LCS2. The rules are changed. Now someone can try out that has had a significant TV appearance. That way the producer’s pet gay blade – ANT – can try again. Besides silly things like that and even without the public statements and conduct of Drew Carey and Brett Butler you could sense the sequel was already a shadow of the original.

Debate about who anyone thinks is funny aside, almost everyone agrees a lot of funny people were left behind and a lot of questionable talent was pushed forward. The roster of names is interchangeable depending on who you talk to. But the sentiment is universal.

So, in the end, the producers bastardized the forum to promote their own talent stables and no doubt get the commission. NBC got the line up they thought they needed to make a Big Brother or Survivor Gone Bad series of episodes. We got the dirty end of the stick. Except! this time they got caught stuffing the ballot box right up front. Unforgivable. It reeks of 50s game show high jinks. Favorites aside, no one seems to think there is 10 funny people here! And yet schmucks like Mohr go around getting face time promoting this tragedy. (Why not? He no doubt has lots of time on his hands since he can’t get a real gig) The less informed sit at home not knowing any better.

And now that I’ve ranted long enough, the part that galls me the most? They still have the nerve to say it’s a search for the “funniest person in America” and that “you the public decide”.

Quote Originally Posted by disappointed
    Okay, like belly buttons, everyone has an opinion.
    My belly button has an opinion?!?

disappointed!!!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    It's official. I'm a masochist. I hate this thread. But I keep coming back. It's like the wreck I can't stop looking at as I drive by. It's like the scab I can't stop picking.

Disappointed, you won't get flamed, we aren't that kind of site. But you may have your opinions questioned or challenged...like I'm about to do.

Have you ever seen Jay Mohr's act live? By all accounts he's roll-on-the-floor funny when he isn't hampered by the network censors.

You mentioned that Mohr can't get a real gig, and couldn't make a hyena laugh. If so, he's built a great career by making people pretend to laugh at him.

Now, if you'll all excuse me, I need to take a break from this thread to go walk on tacks.

Personally I think Mohr is a horrible stand-up comedian but that's just me. I'm not too fond of Carlin either though alot of people love him.

This thread started out kind of fun and was just intelligent conversation, but now everyone seems overly passionate about everything that's gone on. I am a true Reality TV Addict, but I know that you can't expect everything to be as it appears. Now, the producers invited a bunch of established comics to the LA audition and I'm fine with that. I don't mind that most of the people who made the house came from that group that was invited. Those were some of the funniest people.

The whole debacle from last week is not that big of a deal, really. This is a talent competition, which is why Bonnie went home last night. You won't find many people, if any, who are going to say that they think everyone who makes it to the house is funny. Regardless of whether Dan got in and Ant didn't or whatever switches you want to make. That's obvious. Disappointed, you said Favorites aside, no one can say there's 10 funny people in the house. I don't think you can say that, favorites aside. Because comedy is subjective, my top 10, and the people I would put in the House, you might not find any of them funny. Everyone seems to think we've been duped, but I don't see how. Again, those who got Drew's, Brett's, Anthony's, and Tess's vote all went through, and most (not all, I guess, since Dan didn't get through) who got 3 of them went on. Yes, the producers put in 3 or 4 people they wanted to, but it's a talent competition, and if America decides those people aren't funny enough, they'll go home. Dan is not a super comic who deserves all this uproar about the producers voting too. I was madder last year when Dat beat Dave than I am about Dan not moving on. Starting last night, the average joes are the ones deciding who goes on and who doesn't. That's when these 10 choices have to hold up. So, I just don't get what this outcry is all about . . .

Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    Sorry Queeny, you must have missed my sarcasm, or my remarks of "its just a tv show" in AI.

I agree that everyone has an opinion, but remember, it is indeed just a TV show, not as important as say, the weather, or J.Lo's fourth wedding to a (female) stripper (she has to move to boston to get it all legal-like), or the cost to having a third head surgically removed, or even my sex life.
    WHAT JLO got married!

Quote Originally Posted by disappointed
    I’ve sat on the sidelines long enough. I’m fine being a spectator – most of the time. I read almost all of the postings and watched religiously last year. The key show I missed and never went back to see the rerun of was one of last year’s semi’s. That may have affected my original opinion about last year’s shows.

Since I waited so long to take the plunge, this will take a minute, I appreciate your patience and wholly expect someone will feel compelled to flame me – because we are so emotionally attached. Even though it’s “only a TV show”.

Last year it was a great premise – search for the funniest person in America. Everyone knew (should have known?) that they meant new people that were not established. They could have done things differently last time, but given what we know now, I think they just handled the deception better. If not, I personally can’t believe Buddy Hackett and Phyllis Diller would have stood for their BS.

Looking back, viewing each of last year’s 10 house people individually you see how they could have been chosen for how they made HOUSE TV instead of just comedy. But by and large there wasn’t a lot of bickering over someone “not belonging”.

I believed it then, and it has been engrained now that Jay Mohr & Co perpetuated a great fraud on the public last year. Dat Phan funnier than Dave Mordal???? Yeah, sure, the audience made that vote. Dat Phan funniest person in America????? Yeah, all of America made that vote. Probably the same ones that voted for American Idol?

Okay, like belly buttons, everyone has an opinion. This is not about Dat bashing. That horse is so dead he’s flogging himself.

I wouldn’t go across the street to see Jay Mohr (but I watched the show). VH1 has him on a list of the 100 greatest comics? I don’t think he could make a hyena laugh. I think Tess was a waste of time too. Sean, thankfully, was dispatched soon enough. I dwell on this momentarily to illustrate the point, let us digress no longer.

Fast forward to LCS2. The rules are changed. Now someone can try out that has had a significant TV appearance. That way the producer’s pet gay blade – ANT – can try again. Besides silly things like that and even without the public statements and conduct of Drew Carey and Brett Butler you could sense the sequel was already a shadow of the original.

Debate about who anyone thinks is funny aside, almost everyone agrees a lot of funny people were left behind and a lot of questionable talent was pushed forward. The roster of names is interchangeable depending on who you talk to. But the sentiment is universal.

So, in the end, the producers bastardized the forum to promote their own talent stables and no doubt get the commission. NBC got the line up they thought they needed to make a Big Brother or Survivor Gone Bad series of episodes. We got the dirty end of the stick. Except! this time they got caught stuffing the ballot box right up front. Unforgivable. It reeks of 50s game show high jinks. Favorites aside, no one seems to think there is 10 funny people here! And yet schmucks like Mohr go around getting face time promoting this tragedy. (Why not? He no doubt has lots of time on his hands since he can’t get a real gig) The less informed sit at home not knowing any better.

And now that I’ve ranted long enough, the part that galls me the most? They still have the nerve to say it’s a search for the “funniest person in America” and that “you the public decide”.
    A big standing O for the Disapointed .and I 'm so glad you came out of lurkville to play Too bad you had nothing to say . It's a joy to read all of these "grown up"debates rather than, I like him because he's a hottie, barf. I love the thought that goes into presenting a view.Some of You have made me laugh,get mad and rethink an opinion all in one breath. ITS All good! this is were the talent lies. Right here at FORT .

Quote Originally Posted by colby_d
    This thread started out kind of fun and was just intelligent conversation, but now everyone seems overly passionate about everything that's gone on. I am a true Reality TV Addict, but I know that you can't expect everything to be as it appears.
    I think we are at the point where most folks realize that everything is not as it appears. That doesn't mean we can't discuss the elements of the things which aren't as they appear. It's relevent, especially when it's raised on the show itself. And I think if done properly it certainly qualifies as "intelligent" conversation--in my opinion (and I really mean it's opinion--but I'm trying to suppport it with intelligent debate) more so than simply pointing out a fact to people that I think they already know--that we are watching TV and that TV is highly fictionalized, no matter what label they give the genre.

The whole debacle from last week is not that big of a deal, really. This is a talent competition, which is why Bonnie went home last night.
    I think it's at least POSSIBLE that's not the entire reason, but I recognize the fact that it's the most likely explanation. Bonnie herself, in the profile posted for her here, seemed to recognize that fact with more grace than I think many were willing to grant her.

You won't find many people, if any, who are going to say that they think everyone who makes it to the house is funny. Regardless of whether Dan got in and Ant didn't or whatever switches you want to make. That's obvious. Disappointed, you said Favorites aside, no one can say there's 10 funny people in the house.
    I agree with the thought, but I've certainly seen plenty of people here make the argument "why talk about the manipulation, it's just TV, I'm sure there will be 10 funny people in the house". If they mean this literally, it's fine with me, especially if they are willing to intelligently debate it, without rancor--which I think many are.

I don't think you can say that, favorites aside. Because comedy is subjective, my top 10, and the people I would put in the House, you might not find any of them funny. Everyone seems to think we've been duped, but I don't see how. Again, those who got Drew's, Brett's, Anthony's, and Tess's vote all went through, and most (not all, I guess, since Dan didn't get through) who got 3 of them went on.
    And I think for at least some here, this is where the "line" between "hey, it's just TV" and reality got crossed. Mohr specifically went on other shows and claimed that anyone who got a majority of celeb votes moved on. He never addressed Carey's claim that Dan had three votes, while saying something contradictory. Does this affect world peace? Nope. But certainly under the guise of talking about the show I think it's fair game. And it can be discussed or even decried, I think, without an implication that the person taking that position is somehow confusing it with the fate of the world. In the context of this forum, I'd argue, as long as the discussion is intelligent and not "personal", I'd hope so. And even if it were emotional, people can make emotional arguments intellectually, I think, if they have the sense to not be condecending, dismissive, and all that other bad stuff.

More tightly back on the original topic again, I think Mohr is a bigger loser in this than might be apparent. NBC might be fed up with him, although seemingly they are still "in" enough with Peter Engel and crew to pull Dave Mordal's Anti-Ant rant.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by navycake
    This whole thing should be called ComedyGate.
    I hired a contractor to install a fence around my yard, but they hung the gate badly and it sticks all the time. It's a real hassle trying to get them to fix their mess. I'm gonna start referring to this as "Gategate".

Thank you ... enjoy the veal ...

+ Reply to Thread