+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 101

Thread: Mohr defends LCS

  1. #71
    Queeny queeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    toronto
    Age
    50
    Posts
    334
    i'm talking to myself here........(note to self, lay off the meds.)

  2. #72
    Fool... but no pity. Krom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    21,565
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    it's a tv show
    It's not just a TV show when THEY are the ones who bring real world consequences and claims into it. I'm a person who notably doesn't care much about "plotting" inserted through editing if it helps the show--am bugged by the idea that they can represent someone as "America's choice", with all the manipulations which make that patently untrue.

    Besides, that "it's only TV" approach kind of automatically dismisses the worth of, and shuts down, all conversation here. Even staying within the bounds of what's said in that FAQ, it STOPS being merely "behind the scenes" stuff when it gets into the newspapers and other public forums--it becomes "reality", to coin a term. And in the case of LCS it was discussed, quite prominently, ON the show itself. It can't be irrelevent to our discussion of the show if IT'S PRESENTED ON THE SHOW.
    Last edited by Krom; 06-23-2004 at 11:28 AM.

    "You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

  3. #73
    Don't Panic senrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by queeny
    With respect, that's not the point. Every one has some thing to say and FORT is the place. RIGHT. If some want to rant or cheer this is the place. Its no different than AI,ASS, etc. We LOVVVVVE good scandal
    Sorry Queeny, you must have missed my sarcasm, or my remarks of "its just a tv show" in AI.

    I agree that everyone has an opinion, but remember, it is indeed just a TV show, not as important as say, the weather, or J.Lo's fourth wedding to a (female) stripper (she has to move to boston to get it all legal-like), or the cost to having a third head surgically removed, or even my sex life.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

  4. #74
    Don't Panic senrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    It's not just a TV show when THEY are the ones who bring real world consequences and claims into it. I'm a person who notably doesn't care much about "plotting" inserted through editing if it helps the show--am bugged by the idea that they can represent someone as "America's choice", with all the manipulations which make that patently untrue.

    Besides, that "it's only TV" approach kind of automatically dismisses the worth of, and shuts down, all conversation here. Even staying within the bounds of what's said in that FAQ, it STOPS being merely "behind the scenes" stuff when it gets into the newspapers and other public forums--it becomes "reality", to coin a term. And in the case of LCS it was discussed, quite prominently, ON the show itself. It can't be irrelevent to our discussion of the show if IT'S PRESENTED ON THE SHOW.
    Its reality but its not when it is reality, heavily edited, and concentrated into an hour of viewable TV. In short, to use a philosophical term, it is hyper-reality, reality at warp speed.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

  5. #75
    Fool... but no pity. Krom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    21,565
    I agree that everyone has an opinion, but remember, it is indeed just a TV show
    Yes, senrik, but the important fact to me is that we've CHOSEN to come and particpate in a forum about that show, and we are here talking about things actually shown on the show. To shut down conversation by dismissing things people say with "it's only a show" (and I'm referring to the general tendency, not specific people here) seems counter-productive to the idea of even being here.

    That's not to say that people shouldn't keep on an even keel emotionally when talking about it, or not take things personally, but often that viewpoint seems to be used for lesser things (here for example to express some opinion that it's not okay to talk about the scandals surrounding the show, when in fact they have actually been PART of the show--direct content).
    Last edited by Krom; 06-23-2004 at 11:52 AM.

    "You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

  6. #76
    Can They Do It?? mrdobolina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    The Miami of Canada
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    --am bugged by the idea that they can represent someone as "America's choice", with all the manipulations which make that patently untrue.
    Here's the thing though, Krom. The "America's Choice" or, in the case of LCS, "You choose, you decide" doesn't come in until the LAST SHOW. We all know that, anyone who watched LCS last year knows that. And if LCS really is the "search for America's funniest comic", well, how can there even BE an LCS 2, because we supposedly found that last year already.

    All of this "America's choice" on a TV show is BS anyway. Americans vote with their dollars. On American Idol this year, I believe it was William Hung who is making all the money. And he was sent packing immediately(and he's terrible). He was eliminated and shown only on their "watch these train wrecks" show. (right?? I don't watch AI at all, but I do know a little about this guy from the press)
    America spoke with their dollars and said they would rather watch the train wreck. Same thing is going to happen with LCS, hopefully. The real winners will be the ones who got exposure on the show, and people will start going and seeing their live shows. I know I have been looking up people that were eliminated already, trying to find out when they will be near me(no one ever comes to Denver for some reason?).

    Anyway, this debate is so last week.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

    It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

  7. #77
    Fool... but no pity. Krom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    21,565
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    Anyway, this debate is so last week.
    And yet I'm more than happy to have it again, if it's highly relevent to the show we are watching.

    Yes, it's just the last show. That's no news flash.

    The mere fact that other shows "do" the same doesn't make it right. The fact that it's on TV doesn't inherently make it right. To me, it being on TV just means we have to take it with a grain of salt, and not emotionally, but it hardly means we shouldn't talk about it. It's right there on the screen--we aren't talking about "behind the scenes" stuff like whether or not Nicole and Paris really get along, or whether Alison & Donny really only got together to appear on TV again. The judging, the hyping of Americas role, and yes... the scandals of LCS have all been right there. In our face as we watch it.

    This is even a topic ABOUT this particular subject (the ethical veracity of the show). What WOULD be a more appropriate place?

    "You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

  8. #78
    Don't Panic senrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    Yes, senrik, but the important fact to me is that we've CHOSEN to come and particpate in a forum about that show, and we are here talking about things actually shown on the show. To shut down conversation by dismissing things people say with "it's only a show" (and I'm referring to the general tendency, not specific people here) seems counter-productive to the idea of even being here.

    That's not to say that people shouldn't keep on an even keel emotionally when talking about it, or not take things personally, but often that viewpoint seems to be used for lesser things (here for example to express some opinion that it's not okay to talk about the scandals surrounding the show, when in fact they have actually been PART of the show--direct content).
    Krom,
    you know as well as I do about how this whole process on LCS works, how easily the "America chooses" thing can be faked. Is it really worth expending lots of emotional energy over?

    I'm just saying that people should keep their priorities in perspective, thats all.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

  9. #79
    Fool... but no pity. Krom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    21,565
    That's not that different from what I said. Don't invest emotionally. Great advice. But mass-dismissals of entire topics of conversation seem to be an equal emotional investment in telling people how to feel. Sure, the debate has been talked about on other shows, sure we know that reality TV isn't real. That's a given. But the process of how they present the show, how they market it, and most importantly and relevantly what they say ON the show itself about it's own process is pretty valid discussion, without entering the realm of the kind of "behind the scenes" stuff that breaks the fourth wall for viewers. LCS is the one breaking that wall--the content of the show itself is discussing the process. So I can't possibly see how it's importance can be minimized here by simple "reminders" to people that it's a TV show. Well, to me it's a TV show that's discussing it's own production as part of itself. The portion about them trying to boost legitamacy with references to America's mandate is a side-issue, but still important. It's not life or death, but I'm not sure it's changing minds to state that self-apparent fact to people, baldly, as a counter-argument to specific comments about the show. Is the idea that superficial comments should have more weight than more involved and thoughtful ones? Personally, that's the impression I always get when answered like that. I doubt it's usually INTENDED that way, which is why I'm trying to address it in a reasonable, factual, and structured way --and relate it as often as possible back to the show.

    "You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

  10. #80
    FORT Fan PIKATSSO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by queeny
    under FAQ, " Rules about reality TV"

    We also realize the shows we see are heavily edited, for both entertainment purposes and to give a "storyline" to the shows and each person on it. On this site, we enjoy the show for the entertainment value. We don't really care what really happened behind the scenes. Although interesting, it's not really that important.

    I disagree (respectfully of course),..... part of the fun IS finding out behind the scenes stuff.

    that's all , enough said
    Upon reading this rule I have to agree with Queeny 100%, as it occurred to me that it is INCREDIBLY IRONIC...doesn't one watch "Reality TV" because of the very fact that it is supposed to be REAL? And doesn't it necessarily follow that the "behind the scenes" stuff IS THE REALITY?????? (Ergo...stuff we would obviously be fascinated with and want to discuss?)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.