Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Bonnie

Bonnie's article

I didn't find it funny. In fact, I find it downright disturbing and self-destructive that female comedians would gang up on each other. Last year I had the same reaction to Teri calling out Cory.

In any case, I saw a bunch of funny female comics during the auditions, and none of them ended up in the house. Last year too--my favorite one didn't even make the Vegas 20 (Martha Kelly.)

[QUOTE=Krom]
    I thought that was pretty clear. It means that the person writing that article was trying to write a sensationalized piece, and you are blaming the subject without thinking about the role of the writer.
    Thank you for the translation, but I'm still not quite sure what you mean with regard to my comments? Did you think I was blaming the subject for allegedly getting it on one night with both genders when she was trying so hard not to get laid? Or did you think the writer wrote the piece out of sour grapes for Bonnie rejecting her after that seductive lap dance (by a "tall, southern girl") during their girl's night out at the strip joint?

When it comes right down to it, Krom, while I can't say she gained my respect from that article, I didn't think she was very funny at the Vegas show long before I read it. Whether she will prove to be funny at the house and in future episodes remains to be seen. Not everyone I know is a saint, Krom, and while I may not always like what they do, it does not necessarily follow that I do not like them.

Sure, and it's a valid viewpoint that Kerry was funnier, even if I personally disagree. But your earlier post basically said "Bonnie only got in because she slept with someone". That, and other points you've made, are taking the position that because you didn't find her funny that the only way that someone else could was if they were thinking with their genitals.
    I didn't mean to imply that anyone would find her funny if they slept with her...only that she'd have a lot better shot at getting into the house.

[QUOTE]
    This one's easy. Franklin was pretty much making FUN of a lot of the 'sistahs' type of comedy.
    And in doing so, her delivery was different how? I grant you, it was a different slant on the typical "sistah thang"...but that "if it looks like a duck" thing comes to mind...

And this is clearly a case where over the weeks, if you watched, you saw some pretty atypical comedy. Her funniest joke in the initial auditions was about someone SMILING at her, followed by her doing a fairly ludicrous and funny bit of physical comedy immitating it. Hardly a typical "sistah" joke.
    That episode has been subsequently deleted off my TIVO, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that was her only joke in the initial audition. It ranked right up there with Jessica's facial distortions to me (I remembered!). But again, to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by pudman13
    I didn't find it funny. In fact, I find it downright disturbing and self-destructive that female comedians would gang up on each other. Last year I had the same reaction to Teri calling out Cory.

In any case, I saw a bunch of funny female comics during the auditions, and none of them ended up in the house. Last year too--my favorite one didn't even make the Vegas 20 (Martha Kelly.)
    Thank you, Pudman13...Martha Kelly is the one I was trying to remember for the "Who would you like to see audition again" thread. She was a riot!

FORT Fogey
    I found the article about female comics being unfunny to be quite clever. Of course, the irony is in that she is a female comic herself, and cannot exclude herself from her own critiques. But that's the point right? The fact of the matter is that almost everything she said about women being unfunny can also be said about men.

The article about everyone wanting her, was just, well, weird.

FORT Regular
    sarah silverman = funny..she just happens to be hot too. those offended by crude language should check out her set

Quote Originally Posted by Morphiend
    sarah silverman = funny..she just happens to be hot too. those offended by crude language should check out her set
    I'm VERY far out on the limb as far as how much offensiveness I'm willing to tolerarte, but Silverman is too far even for me. She's into "ambush" comedy, in my opinion--the kind where it's about embarassing other people instead of just saying something offensive. You know... like the kind on certain radio talk shows...

But yes, she's very hot. It's hard to believe that Jimmy Kimmel gets that. Then again, she made him leave his wife and kids.

The more I think about the subject of "edgy" or "vulgar" humor, it occurs to me that it is not so much the subject matter or language that offends me, but more the comic's presentation, i.e. attitude and level of creativity.

I really am not into the nasty, mean and angry stuff. Karlin was funny--even quite clever and witty--back in the day...but now he is the most miserable human being (at least his stage persona) imaginable...I keep wondering if someone should contact Dr. Kervorkian (sp?) for him. And his subject matter has just degenerated into vicious attacks on...EVERYTHING...and Garbage Pail Kids grotesqueness.

And yet I positively adore Steven Lynch, and I don't think there is any even vaguely offensive subject matter--you name the perversion, he's written a song about it--that he's omitted. But he is positively a talented, creative GENIUS in my book...and his "delivery" is so deceptively benign as to be downright scandalous!

I like Rodney Carrington (have seen his show live--HYSTERICAL!!!) and Robert Schimmel, too...and neither of them could be considered "clean." But although even they (particularly Carrington) often get a little too gross and graphic for my taste, they just don't come off so angry or full of themselves as some of the other "not so squeaky-clean" comedians that have been mentioned on the FORT LCS Forum.
    Last edited by PIKATSSO; 06-22-2004 at 01:35 PM. Reason: wanted to add something to post and fix grammatical error

Does anyone know if Bonnie has her own website? I haven't been able to find one if she does. Thanks
    "Alcohol: the cause of and solution to all of life's problem's"

Quote Originally Posted by PIKATSSO
    I would much rather Chris Voth, Paul Varghese, Dan Ahdoot or Dan Naturman would have gotten into the house...but I guess the producers wanted someone in the house for the viewing audience to love to hate...
    I totally agree, those 4 should have been in there instead of Todd, Ant, Gary and one of the girls. After watching the show tonight when they were performing in the laundromat, only Corey and Alonzo were able to make the people laugh and it's because they were making jokes out of the situation, they were more spontaneous, they were more witty.

Well, Bonnie was smart enough to realize that she could beat Ant and Tammy, but not smart enough to challenge them. She had to know that she had absolutely no chance against Heffron. Maybe she just wanted to go home.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456