Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bonnie

PIKATSSO, it's a matter of filtering. Instead of a being a suburbanite, Bonnie McFarlane is a woman who's lived and hung out in cities for years--mostly in an atmosphere with men. We are also seeing her in that article through the filter of another urbanite who is trying to come off as sophisticated in that silly Metro rag. A "sophisticate" who is sitting with Ms. McFarlane in a strip joint while most of the action of that story is going on. Now, I don't know if you've ever been in a place like that, and I'm hardly a regular, but when I have been and I've seen women as customers there they frequently seem to be assuming a demeanor which isn't totally their natural personality--and that's also part of what that article may be giving a peek into.

Also, your comparison of her to Kerry Louise assumes that it's a case of them being equally funny, and that Bonnie was chosen because she sleeps around and/or fits some demographic. It's possible, I suppose, but I don't see much proof. There certainly wasn't any indication that she was one of the people Drew Carey was talking about--who didn't get celeb votes.

Now mind you, I also liked Marina Franklin--who's approach was the polar opposite of Bonnie McFarlane's. The thing these two women had in common for me was that they were both the antithesis of the crappy approach I loathe so much of female comics with identical delivery and material.

Likely, you are never going to like or agree with Bonnie McMarlane's material. And I know from experience that watching her in the house could totally change my perception of her (or not). I like people to have a native wit--stripped away from the structure of those formal stand-up jokes--which is why I hated Dat Phan so much and loved Dave Mordal. And it's not obvious yet who in this group does and who doesn't.

And the things you are talking about ("give me some FUNNY") are SO subjective I can't see how you can back it up. This isn't a case like Sue Costello, where she was SO washed up and godawful that it was like a vision we could all see before us. Heck, even Costello probably had people watching cheering her on, as hard as that is to believe.

The "blue" issue is such a non-issue I don't really know what to say. She knew it would be bleeped on TV--I don't think that even as her worst we can consider her enough of an idiot to not think so. That's a safety net. Even Buddy Hackett--who was famous for having very different decorums between family audiences and non-family audiences--cursed on TV on occasion if he knew for sure that it would be bleeped.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    I'm a little freaked that everyone took Bonnie's article so seriously. She's, um, a comedian. Am I the only one who heard the sarcastic, sneering tone of it?

Anyway, I think she's interesting, original, and funny (enough to be the only female comic so far to merit her own thread, apparently). I like her "inappropriateness", to paraphrase Brett Butler. I'll take Bonnie over Kerri Louise, that screaming Jessica chick and Kathleen Madigan any day.
    Well let's see...sarcastic and sneering...yep, I agree, that pretty much describes her and her article. Such biting sarcasm.

Interesting...YES! Original...uhhh...maybe to some. Funny...as I have said before...comedy is a highly subjective medium.

As I have also said, "edgy" seems to be very in...so I imagine you're not alone. As opinionated and conventional as I am sure I appear to be, I do have (somewhere...I will have to do some soul searching) a remnant of open-mindedness left in me...and I will give our bonnie lass the benefit of doubt and see what she brings to the table over the next few weeks...caviar or cornflakes? We'll have to watch and see...

FORT Fogey
    I'm a little freaked that everyone took Bonnie's article so seriously. She's, um, a comedian. Am I the only one who heard the sarcastic, sneering tone of it?

Anyway, I think she's interesting, original, and funny (enough to be the only female comic so far to merit her own thread, apparently). I like her "inappropriateness", to paraphrase Brett Butler. I'll take Bonnie over Kerri Louise, that screaming Jessica chick and Kathleen Madigan any day.

Quote Originally Posted by PIKATSSO
    Well let's see...sarcastic and sneering...yep, I agree, that pretty much describes her and her article. Such biting sarcasm.
    Somewhat more subtly sarcastic than your post.

(Sorry, Pitkasso, I'm not flaming you, I couldn't resist though.)
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

As I have also said, "edgy" seems to be very in...so I imagine you're not alone.
    It never went "out".

[QUOTE=Krom]
    PIKATSSO, it's a matter of filtering. Instead of a being a suburbanite, Bonnie McFarlane is a woman who's lived and hung out in cities for years--mostly in an atmosphere with men. We are also seeing her in that article through the filter of another urbanite who is trying to come off as sophisticated in that silly Metro rag. A "sophisticate" who is sitting with Ms. McFarlane in a strip joint while most of the action of that story is going on. Now, I don't know if you've ever been in a place like that, and I'm hardly a regular, but when I have been and I've seen women as customers there they frequently seem to be assuming a demeanor which isn't totally their natural personality--and that's also part of what that article may be giving a peek into.
    Krom, you have me cracking up so bad I can hardly type...just WHAT DOES ALL THIS MEAN????????

Also, your comparison of her to Kerry Louise assumes that it's a case of them being equally funny, and that Bonnie was chosen because she sleeps around and/or fits some demographic. It's possible, I suppose, but I don't see much proof. There certainly wasn't any indication that she was one of the people Drew Carey was talking about--who didn't get celeb votes.
    I would sincerely hope that my comparison of Bonnie to Kerry Louise would NOT assume that it's a case of them being equally funny, as I personally thought Kerri was okay, and didn't find Bonnie's Vegas set funny in any respect. Vulgar? Yes. Shocking? Yes, given she was not doing an HBO special at the time. Inappropriate? Not in the sense that she accomplished her goal of being vulgar and shocking and memorable!

I was simply agreeing with JD that Bonnie had more potential to stir things up in the house (and thus in the ratings) than did someone of a more demure demeanor (e.g. Kerri Louise).

Now mind you, I also liked Marina Franklin--who's approach was the polar opposite of Bonnie McFarlane's. The thing these two women had in common for me was that they were both the antithesis of the crappy approach I loathe so much of female comics with identical delivery and material.
    I'm not certain how you found Franklin's approach to be the "polar opposite" of McFarlane's--it's not as if Marina was wearing a choir outfit and telling knock-knock jokes, but I really don't understand how you found Franklin's set to be "the antithesis of the crappy approach...of so much of female comics with identical delivery and material." I could be wrong, but by mimicking how most "sister" comediennes perform, wasn't she, ironically, kind of doing their same act? Seemed like kind of identical delivery (if not material) to me... (Don't get me wrong, I personally LOVE "sistuh" delivery...just cracks me up, and I thought Retha Jones was royally robbed.)

Likely, you are never going to like or agree with Bonnie McMarlane's material. And I know from experience that watching her in the house could totally change my perception of her (or not). I like people to have a native wit--stripped away from the structure of those formal stand-up jokes--which is why I hated Dat Phan so much and loved Dave Mordal. And it's not obvious yet who in this group does and who doesn't.
    Well, I did agree with her on how that anorexia seed gets planted...

Actually I, too, would like to reserve my final perceptions regarding BM until I have seen the future episodes (as mentioned in a previous post). Who knows? I wasn't at all fond of Rich Vos during the auditions last year and yet found him to be quite endearing in a "mama's bad-boy" kinda way after seeing him in the bathtub...I mean, house. If I'm not on guard, she may even turn out to be my new crush...gotta love those "guy's girls."

I didn't personally see much (if any) native wit from BM...but we are in 100% agreement re Dave Mordal.

And the things you are talking about ("give me some FUNNY") are SO subjective I can't see how you can back it up.
    Like my boyfriend always tells me, I have to learn to add "to me" to the ends of my sentences.

The "blue" issue is such a non-issue I don't really know what to say. She knew it would be bleeped on TV--I don't think that even as her worst we can consider her enough of an idiot to not think so. That's a safety net.
    Ahhhh...we have reached yet another concession! I am in total agreement.

Special Note: I'm sorry, Eny, I am not merely trying to point out what I think is wrong with other people's perceptions of broadcasted jokes (or comedians). I am explaining/defending my own perceptions, and honestly do not intend it to be taken as baiting or slamming. I like Krom et.al. and respect his/their opinion(s)...just joined this forum to be able to express a few of my own.
    Last edited by PIKATSSO; 06-21-2004 at 12:35 PM.

Somewhat more subtly sarcastic than your post.

(Sorry, Pitkasso, I'm not flaming you, I couldn't resist though.)
    No offense taken, AJane...I thought it was pretty funny!
    Last edited by PIKATSSO; 06-21-2004 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    It never went "out".
    Thus the underscoring of "very," Krom.

Actually, AJane, I just reread the article (Bonnie's), and upon reconsideration generated by your gentle reminder that "She's, um, a comedian," I have to admit that her writing actually was rather witty, if not exactly genial (obviously not her intent), in a wicked kind of way. (See, I'm sweetenin' on her already!) I must have been at a "low sugar" point in my day upon my first reading, and not my typical razor-sharp, open-minded, clever self (well, what do you expect at 4 in the morning???) Is there a smiley for duly humbled?

I still think think the article is angst-ridden, but I will edit "misanthropic" to "misandristic."

I suppose the life of a female comic--not unlike the life of a stripper (of either gender)--is a rough one, which engenders a great deal of bitterness. I see now that she was simply doing what comics do best...turning whines into wine.
    Last edited by PIKATSSO; 06-21-2004 at 01:53 PM.

Krom, you have me cracking up so bad I can hardly type...just WHAT DOES ALL THIS MEAN????????
    I thought that was pretty clear. It means that the person writing that article was trying to write a sensationalized piece, and you are blaming the subject without thinking about the role of the writer.

I would sincerely hope that my comparison of Bonnie to Kerry Louise would NOT assume that it's a case of them being equally funny, as I personally thought Kerri was okay, and didn't find Bonnie's Vegas set funny in any respect.
    Sure, and it's a valid viewpoint that Kerry was funnier, even if I personally disagree. But your earlier post basically said "Bonnie only got in because she slept with someone". That, and other points you've made, are taking the position that because you didn't find her funny that the only way that someone else could was if they were thinking with their genitals. Well, frankly, she's not even THAT good looking. She's okay, but hardly a sex goddess.

I'm not certain how you found Franklin's approach to be the "polar opposite" of McFarlane's--it's not as if Marina was wearing a choir outfit and telling knock-knock jokes, but I really don't understand how you found Franklin's set to be "the antithesis of the crappy approach...of so much of female comics with identical delivery and material." I could be wrong, but by mimicking how most "sister" comediennes perform, wasn't she, ironically, kind of doing their same act? Seemed like kind of identical delivery (if not material) to me... (Don't get me wrong, I personally LOVE "sistuh" delivery...just cracks me up, and I thought Retha Jones was royally robbed.)
    This one's easy. Franklin was pretty much making FUN of a lot of the 'sistahs' type of comedy. And this is clearly a case where over the weeks, if you watched, you saw some pretty atypical comedy. Her funniest joke in the initial auditions was about someone SMILING at her, followed by her doing a fairly ludicrous and funny bit of physical comedy immitating it. Hardly a typical "sistah" joke.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast