Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bonnie

Apple obsessed goddess Tangerinejoy's Avatar
    I thought her comments about Kerri Louise were accurate. I wasn't offended by her C*comment, and I really could care less if she's been around the block. The comments on women not being funny was a load of... well, you know. Though she did admitt she wasn't funny >_>;

All things aside, I just dont like her.

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    Both those articles are very disturbing...what a "pretend" freak. I hate girls that think they are freaky and sexually liberating but really arent, just doing all that stuff for attention. And on top of it , she sure as hell aint funny.
    Like some one said , we know why she made it into the house.
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by chowderr
    Here is an article by Bonnie. Hope this works. It's my first link. I kind of liked her, but I don't see her making it to the top five. I can see her getting on the other's nerves really quickly.

That was so bad I need therapy now.

Maybe this is a gender thing (or maybe even a combination of gender and socioeconomic). Frankly, a lot of men like women like Bonnie--and I don't necessarily mean "slutty", I mean women who don't give a fig about normal "girl dynamics". You know... the women who ride motorcyles, punch people who piss them off, hang out with guys more than women, act tougher than they are, usually give a lot of lip service to being sexually open but frequently it's just talk, curse a lot, etc. It's a sort of "guy's girl" thing, and while I'm not defending it, but I don't think it has any inherent connection to being willing to sell yourself to get ahead. It's a bit artificial in some cases (although not all--sometimes I think it's the natural evolution for some tomboys), but it's usually pretty harmless.

As for that article in NY Metro... it's interesting in another way. It's certainly biased, because of the bi-curious writer of the article and her attraction to Bonnie. In fact, the message of the article is that Bonnie doesn't try very hard to get sex--it just seems to happen for her. I found the following quote illuminating:
    She shrugged. "Most people are trying to get laid. I'm always trying not to.
    Last edited by Krom; 06-21-2004 at 01:36 AM.

I know that for me, growing up around only men, I tend to be more comfortable around men than women. Bonnie works in a field that is dominated by men, so it seems natural that she would be more comfortable with them. I thought Bonnie was the funniest out of all the female comedians in the top 20, except for Marina, so her being in the house doesn't bother me. I think all of the comedians are basically doing what they do for attention, not just her.

Political correctness and comedy don't mix.

Every comic, (if they're doing it right), is bound to offend someone in the audience most every show. Especially in today's super-sensitive world.

It's the comic's job to read the audience prior to each performance. Even the first up can read them by watching how they react to Jay Mohr's opening, (and trust me, he probably did at least 7 to 10 mins of warm up that we never saw.)

From that, they can tell if it's okay to work "blue," i.e. d**k jokes, the C-word, yadda yadda. Doesn't mean their whole act should be blue, but if that's what your audience seems to want to hear, you'd better have a blue set ready to go as backup, or you could bomb big time.

Once, my wife and I were in Vegas and George Carlin was booked at Bally's. I'd always wanted to see him live, so we got tix and went. I was telling her he was this genius at cutting edge humor, tackling some of the more controversial issues of our time, thinking I was going to see some of his material from his Live at the Paramount video.

Wrong.

He came out and did most every dirty joke, fart joke, and sophmoric bit he's been doing his whole career. Funny, sure. But not the comedic genius I had been hyping to my wife.

Later, I realized where we were: Vegas. Carlin, being the pro he is, knew his audience, where I had forgotten. They were all gamblers and drinkers, and on vacation, and were not interested in his POV of how golf courses should all be turned into land to house the homeless, blah blah. This audience was probably full of golfers, their brains soaked in a quart of free greyhounds, and were mostly only capable of laughing at fart jokes and the famous 7 dirty words.

I"m not going to blame Bonnie or Alonzo or any other comic on the show for doing blue material in Vegas because that's the one venue where it's most apropos. They knew their audience. They both got into the finals. Nuff said.

NC
    Okay, kids! Who wants Navy Cake?

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by navycake
    I"m not going to blame Bonnie or Alonzo or any other comic on the show for doing blue material in Vegas because that's the one venue where it's most apropos. They knew their audience. They both got into the finals. Nuff said.

NC
    Interesting point. They did both get into the finals, but I think it was in spite of their blue material, not because of it. Vegas wasn't their audience, NBC producers were their audience.

The finals are a casting call, not a competition. LCS is a so-called reality show, not a game show. There is a cast of characters, created by NBC execs, and they have to find someone to fit that pre-conceived character. Look at last year's cast for example. Each comic was very distinct and individual. The cast of characters this year is different, but just as varied. Now we just get to see how it all plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    Interesting point. They did both get into the finals, but I think it was in spite of their blue material, not because of it. Vegas wasn't their audience, NBC producers were their audience.

The finals are a casting call, not a competition. LCS is a so-called reality show, not a game show. There is a cast of characters, created by NBC execs, and they have to find someone to fit that pre-conceived character. Look at last year's cast for example. Each comic was very distinct and individual. The cast of characters this year is different, but just as varied. Now we just get to see how it all plays out.
    I believe the finals were a casting couch in her case.

But seriously, I found your comments to be an accurate assessment of the situation from my vantage point as well, JD. "Edgy" is soooooo in these days that naturally Ms. Bonnie-and-Clyde-all-rolled-into-one is going to ensure more of an impact in the "sitdram" part of the show than an attractive, young, married-to-a-nice-guy mother of twin 2-year-olds, whose most vicious joke consisted of insulting a perky health-nut about being flat-chested, and in whose humor the closest we came to "blue" was the color of her pregnancy test strip or perhaps the face of the drowned victim she could not save while lifeguarding because she herself had just eaten.

Insofar as our bonnie miss having an edge as SquirrelGirl contends, I personally think she rather is on the edge of some kind of breakdown, judging from the angst-ridden, misanthropic article penned by Ms. McFarlane herself. As the not-so-old adage goes: Live Fast, Die Young. If there is any truth to this saying, than apparently Ms. McFarlane has been living on borrowed time for some years now.

Call me stuffy, uptight, prudish or even Ishmael for all I care...but over the years I have grown weary of "edgy" (with the somewhat peculiar exception of South Park). Just give me some FUNNY.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    In fact, the message of the article is that Bonnie doesn't try very hard to get sex--it just seems to happen for her.
    Yes, Krom, and there are even actually some men out there who believe that every Penthouse Forum letter documents some non-fictional, non-fantasy occurrence and that no centerfold is ever hirsute or sports a single zit anywhere on her person.

Quote:
    She shrugged. "Most people are trying to get laid. I'm always trying not to."

Now please don't misinterpret...I'm not claiming that our heroine wantsto get laid...only that there are easier ways to avoid it than getting stoned and hanging out in bars and strip clubs.

I'm a little freaked that everyone took Bonnie's article so seriously. She's, um, a comedian. Am I the only one who heard the sarcastic, sneering tone of it?

Anyway, I think she's interesting, original, and funny (enough to be the only female comic so far to merit her own thread, apparently). I like her "inappropriateness", to paraphrase Brett Butler. I'll take Bonnie over Kerri Louise, that screaming Jessica chick and Kathleen Madigan any day.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast