Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bonnie

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    A faux pas is usually a mistake, or done outside of an awareness of it's inappropriateness. She knew exactly what she was doing. Whether you approve of it or not, her intent was to shock. Now I'm not necessarily comparing her, but comics have been doing this since Lenny Bruce.
    Definition of faux pas
    faux` pas´ Pronunciation: fō` på´
    1. A false step; a mistake or wrong measure;

Related Words
    blooper, blunder, boner, boo-boo, botch, break, bungle, gaffe, howler, impropriety, indecorum, indiscretion, misjudgment, misstep, oversight, pratfall, screamer, solecism, stumble, stupidity

Impropriety
    (n.) The quality of being improper; unfitness or unsuitableness to character, time place, or circumstances; as, impropriety of behavior or manners.
    (n.) That which is improper; an unsuitable or improper act, or an inaccurate use of language.

Well, Krom, I agree 100% that she said it for shock value...I don't think I ever disputed that. (Although this somehow doesn't make her antic any more excusable or edifying to me.)

However, according to the above definition of faux pas and related words, I still find it a suitable description, though "impropriety" might have been the better choice. My point with you was/is that it was not a "double standard" thing, because it would have been shocking and inappropriate (at least in this context, though doubtless not at a regular comedy club) no matter WHO had used it--male or female.

[/QUOTE]I'm not sure I buy a "the sky is falling" version of reality. She's not the first person to ever be beeped on TV. Heck, we've survived actual displays of a female breast, and all that happened was that the entire country got uptight and the FCC went on a historic rampage of abuse of it's power. So we can survive a bleeped word, even if (gasp!) it was from the female half of the human race and not the male. [/QUOTE]

:deadhorse

Quote Originally Posted by chowderr
    Here is an article by Bonnie. Hope this works. It's my first link. I kind of liked her, but I don't see her making it to the top five. I can see her getting on the other's nerves really quickly.
    Thanks, Chowderr, I read her article...very interesting. I do think the girl has some serious issues...but then it sounds as if she's had a few more trips around the block than I. I certainly cannot claim to have her street smarts.

At any rate, I would be willing to bet that Miss Bonnie will be contributing generously to the college funds of the children of some psychoanalyst for quite some time.

Thanks for the link chowder, found it very interesting and disturbing all at the same time.

Since Joan Rivers made it big as a stand up in what I remember to be the early '80s I have not heard comics referrd to with their gender as an issue. I'm not in the business, so I don't know for sure, but I think she has got a serious chip on her shoulder about something that is not an issue.

Joan Rivers made it big as a standup in the 1960s. By the early 80's she was washed up. That's part of why Johnny Carson never seriously considered her as a replacement and she had to resort to FOX network (which was a big zero back then).

Brett Butler "made an issue" of her gender at points. Roseanne Barr did. Margaret Cho. Ellen Degeneris did, I suppose, in a more roundabout way.

And frankly I agree with at least parts of what she's saying in that article. It's not the major theme of her piece but she at least implies something. That the comedy of most female standups is so achingly and annoyingly similar that it takes one of the types of people on the list above to make you notice. That's why I was bored stiff by Kathleeen Madigan. She's straight out of this Elayne Boozler school of boring as cr*p female comedy.

Part of what she's saying (or at least HOW she's saying it) is sensational B.S. She's focusing on male genetalia in a way. "Women aren't funny, they are just some simulation of it based on how annoying/unbaggable men find them." Yeah, that's just a failed attempt at shocking people. But then again... it also seems to be sarcasm more than a legitimate belief.

Further proof: Her editor at this thing encapsulizes her article with the following description:
    Standup comic and writer Bonnie McFarlane insists it's only a metaphor!
    Last edited by Krom; 06-20-2004 at 11:19 AM.

Somewhere in the middle of the North Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by chowderr
    Here is an article by Bonnie. Hope this works. It's my first link. I kind of liked her, but I don't see her making it to the top five. I can see her getting on the other's nerves really quickly.
    That's the oddest article I've read in awhile. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by martin4au
    Thanks for the link chowder, found it very interesting and disturbing all at the same time.

Since Joan Rivers made it big as a stand up in what I remember to be the early '80s I have not heard comics referrd to with their gender as an issue. I'm not in the business, so I don't know for sure, but I think she has got a serious chip on her shoulder about something that is not an issue.
    Ahhh yes, Martin...disturbing...that was the word I was groping for...it (and she) was disturbing, and IMHO, disturbed. When I said she had some serious issues, I meant in the sense of having a small boulder on her shoulders, so again, I agree.

Article

Here's a link to another article mentioning Bonnie in NY Metro. It's basically about how she can have sex with anything living at any given moment. Meh.

Strange articles aside, I like her comedy. I had seen her on Conan or Letterman or something within the last year, and she killed me. The "I always take the stairs . . . . and, I'm anorexic" joke gets me every time. I hope she makes it far on the show -- I think she has an edge.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGirl
    Article

Here's a link to another article mentioning Bonnie in NY Metro. It's basically about how she can have sex with anything living at any given moment. Meh.
    SquirrelGirl...with that article link you have accomplished something few have ever been able to do...CAT HAS GOT MY TONGUE...I'm actually speechless...

Well, nothing keeps me quiet for TOO long...

It occurred to me that producers having the reputations they do, it is no longer a big mystery to me how Ms. Parker...uh...McFarlane made it into the house.

I think a lot of her humor is based on shock. I saw her on an episode of Tough Crowd a long while back and she was barely getting any laughs. So, at the end of the show she lifted up her shirt. It was about the only reaction she got all night.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast