Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bonnie

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I think she's bang on with regards to Kerri though.
    That white-out on the pregnancy test joke was probably the most pathetic comment of the series so far imo.
    Yeah, Kerri's jokes were derivative and disingenuous -- a paint-by-numbers comic that imitates other imitators. She didn't have any original observations. She certainly didn't seem funnier than her husband, who delivered his best joke in the pre-show film. Something about their twins -- one kid and another for parts.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by candor
    Yeah, Kerri's jokes were derivative and disingenuous -- a paint-by-numbers comic that imitates other imitators. She didn't have any original observations. She certainly didn't seem funnier than her husband, who delivered his best joke in the pre-show film. Something about their twins -- one kid and another for parts.
    I agree with you and Fluff.
    I had forgotten that identical twin joke...

Gotta Love that Scout scooberoo's Avatar
    I love that avatar Touque. I like Bonnie, and feel like the c-word wasn't a huge deal. First off, it was bleeped, and Alonzo did a bit of swearing, too. He didn't say what Bonnie did, but no one ever mentioned it.
    Who I'm rooting for: Survivor: Vanuatu - Scout Cloud Lee, Leann Slaby, Lea Masters, Eliza Orlins, Twila Tanner, and Lisa Keiffer.

Quote Originally Posted by scooberoo
    Alonzo did a bit of swearing, too. He didn't say what Bonnie did, but no one ever mentioned it.
    Classic double stadard.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    Classic double stadard.

I really don't think it had anything to do with a "double standard" Krom...nothing Bodden said was even remotely as crass as Bonnie's faux pas But give it a year or two...people won't blink when the "C" word is used on Sesame Street.

Anyway, she accomplished her goal of being memorable...I'll give her that!

Quote Originally Posted by PIKATSSO
    I really don't think it had anything to do with a "double standard" Krom...nothing Bodden said was even remotely as crass as Bonnie's faux pas But give it a year or two...people won't blink when the "C" word is used on Sesame Street.
    How is it not a double standard? Alonzo and Bonnie made similar references, Alonzo using the d-word and Bonnie using the c-word. Only difference is that editing made Alonzo's reference seem casual/funny, and Bonnie's reference look like serious drama/crossing the line.

Quote Originally Posted by addikted
    How is it not a double standard? Alonzo and Bonnie made similar references, Alonzo using the d-word and Bonnie using the c-word. Only difference is that editing made Alonzo's reference seem casual/funny, and Bonnie's reference look like serious drama/crossing the line.

It has to do with shock value, Addikted...the "D" word just doesn't generate the same response anymore...people have become pretty desensitized to it. Had Alonzo used the "C" word, the response would have been equally as shocking IMHO.

Gotta Love that Scout scooberoo's Avatar
    Yeah, I hear the "D word" on TV all the time, uncensored (and they ain't talkin' about private detectives). I have no clue why it's acceptable now.
    Who I'm rooting for: Survivor: Vanuatu - Scout Cloud Lee, Leann Slaby, Lea Masters, Eliza Orlins, Twila Tanner, and Lisa Keiffer.

Quote Originally Posted by PIKATSSO
    I really don't think it had anything to do with a "double standard" Krom...nothing Bodden said was even remotely as crass as Bonnie's faux pas
    A faux pas is usually a mistake, or done outside of an awareness of it's inappropriateness. She knew exactly what she was doing. Whether you approve of it or not, her intent was to shock. Now I'm not necessarily comparing her, but comics have been doing this since Lenny Bruce.
    But give it a year or two...people won't blink when the "C" word is used on Sesame Street.
    I'm not sure I buy a "the sky is falling" version of reality. She's not the first person to ever be beeped on TV. Heck, we've survived actual displays of a female breast, and all that happened was that the entire country got uptight and the FCC went on a historic rampage of abuse of it's power. So we can survive a bleeped word, even if (gasp!) it was from the female half of the human race and not the male.

Here is an article by Bonnie. Hope this works. It's my first link. I kind of liked her, but I don't see her making it to the top five. I can see her getting on the other's nerves really quickly.
    Last edited by chowderr; 06-20-2004 at 05:03 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast