+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What SHOULD LCS be like?

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpayroll
    But at this time last year, with LCS1, there were 3 or 4 standout comics, who were funny doing standup, that most of us agreed on.
    Very true, Chris. But remember, at this time last year one of those comics most of us agreed on was Dat Phan - myself included. Which proves that either we in the audience don't really know comedy as well as we think we do, or that we really don't have enough exposure (or is it exposer? ) to form accurate assessments yet.

Yes he was funny the first time. And then he started repeating himself, which was funny to all of his standup audiences, who had never seen him before. That was the only reason he beat Dave Mordal, because he was more expressive with his standup and made funny voices. He forced his comedy on the audiences, whereas Dave's standup makes you think about it and the more you thought about it, the more you laughed.

If I were to watch Dave's standup from last year, I would probably laugh alot, because it would be fresh again. Dat's standup I can mostly remember, so it wouldn't be funny to me.

Oh well, on to the house!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    Very true, Chris. But remember, at this time last year one of those comics most of us agreed on was Dat Phan - myself included. Which proves that either we in the audience don't really know comedy as well as we think we do, or that we really don't have enough exposure (or is it exposer? ) to form accurate assessments yet.
    I hardly think all of us agreed on Dat Phan. I remember very early on keying into his schumck-like tendencies, and I recall quite a bit of agreement here. And then the mother-jokes never stopped.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey
    AJane, I agree with you on all points.

Quote Originally Posted by WAYNER
    Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.
    Last edited by Dogbat; 07-04-2004 at 11:45 AM.

My vision for LCS III

I agree ditch the house...and the contrived competitions...

Give the viewers (and comedians) what they want-more comedy...don't bother with the crappy people who aren't entertaining...we could care less how many Buck Stars and costumed idiots you had to put up with the weed down the comedians...

Divide the country into four regions, and in each region divide those by two metropolitan areas (or double shows in NY, Chicago and LA).

Have the producers or the talent bookers from the tonight show narrow it down to 80 people who will compete...10 per show...8 shows...decided by the audience...5 minutes per comic...most of the sets aired in full for a 50 minute show...10 minutes of commercials...

From there 8 comics remain....2 in each region go head to head...7 minutes each...do two regions per show...48 minutes of material aired in full...two shows...or a double show...

Four comics remain...all go head to head with 10 minutes of comedy...some filler about the comics and America Votes on which of them is the funniest!!!!!

Wrap Up-show allow the Winner to have their own comedy showcase, show all the funniest bits and lines...the best of LCS III...

Addendum...two time losers...such as Ant...are ineligible in future years...

12 Shows total...and no funny business...only funny comics!!!!!

Keith S. :{)>
    Last edited by Blackbeard; 07-06-2004 at 08:45 PM.

FORT Fan
    very good ideas....i would love to see them change the format to dump the drama and actually let the celebrity judges decide up front, then leave it up to the viewers from there.
    many of the comedians that didn't make it (louis raimey, pablo francisco, etc) have had really good specials on comedy central and are much better than some of the people that are in the house.
    (isn't the agent for ant and gary gulman the same guy who is jay mohr's agent??? good thing jay mohr isn't the vice president or he'd have michael moore raiding his fridge)

Dr. of Awesöme
    To sum up this thread:

Nix Bob and Ross. Get new talent scouts to do the initial "sifting" for simply weeding out the bad out of the open auditions, preferrably ones without a bunch of connections (getting fresh material and comics onto the show)

Nix the massive amount of producer input when picking housemates. Let the celebrity talent scouts who have been in the biz doing the actual work (not the behind the scenes suit stuff that producers do) while keeping at least one, two at the MAX to ensure good group dynamics becuase when it comes down to it, yes, you're still casting a TV show. Use that expertise to make sure people will continue to watch it, but use the celebrities expertise to make sure its not rigged, thus making sure people will continue to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by nawrocki
    What SHOULD LCS be like?

Not rigged.
    Now what fun would that be?

We all had this discussion back with LCS1. LCS will do what LCS will do, and perhaps, just perhaps, they will finally listen to someone other than the producers before they are cancelled.

And that, my friends is my suggestions. Less producer tampering, more audience tampering.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard
    I agree ditch the house...and the contrived competitions...

Give the viewers (and comedians) what they want-more comedy...don't bother with the crappy people who aren't entertaining...we could care less how many Buck Stars and costumed idiots you had to put up with the weed down the comedians...

Divide the country into four regions, and in each region divide those by two metropolitan areas (or double shows in NY, Chicago and LA).

Have the producers or the talent bookers from the tonight show narrow it down to 80 people who will compete...10 per show...8 shows...decided by the audience...5 minutes per comic...most of the sets aired in full for a 50 minute show...10 minutes of commercials...

From there 8 comics remain....2 in each region go head to head...7 minutes each...do two regions per show...48 minutes of material aired in full...two shows...or a double show...

Four comics remain...all go head to head with 10 minutes of comedy...some filler about the comics and America Votes on which of them is the funniest!!!!!

Wrap Up-show allow the Winner to have their own comedy showcase, show all the funniest bits and lines...the best of LCS III...

Addendum...two time losers...such as Ant...are ineligible in future years...

12 Shows total...and no funny business...only funny comics!!!!!

Keith S. :{)>
    Lots of great ideas! I agree that the show would be better if it focused more on standup and less on the lame competitions and interactions in the house. Yes, there are some funny moments in the house, but there aren't many (and I can't think of any so far this season).

I think the show would be better if it just focused on standup and only showed the best moments from life in the house as little side-stories between standup routines. Don't show us people making grilled cheese sandwiches - show us something funny.

LCS is at its best early (pre-house) and late (when it's in the final five). The middle stages (what we've been watching lately) aren't very good because there's not much comedy. Just imitation Big Brother/Real World stuff - like watching people make sandwiches.

I would also emphasize that the producers should focus on selecting funny people for the show and less on "casting" for the house. The show will be better if these are truly the best comics. There will always be drama and conflict because there is so much at stake. I, however, would prefer comedy to drama and conflict. I'm already Tivo'ing Big Brother. I've seen The Real World. I want to laugh when I watch LCS. Whenever I want to see someone make a sandwich, I'll watch Big Brother.

Jay Mohr was so embarrassed that Dat won last season, but that was due to the way the show was organized. The "strategies" and drama in the house led to Dat making the finals, and Dat got a lot of sympathy votes for the way he was "mistreated" in the house, which led to his victory. If you turn the show into Big Brother, stuff like that will happen. Keep it real and about the comedy, man, and the best comic will win. And Jay won't have to make a bunch of excuses afterwards.

FORT Fan
    i'm telling ya,
    the weakest comic next season that gets ganged up on by the alliance the first week in the house should challenge the best comic in the alliance, then use that comic's best material in the head-to-head since they go first.
    that would completely shock the rest of the house and they'd leave him alone after that, free ride to the final 5 without having to use up good material so the home audience doesn't get tired of it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast