+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What SHOULD LCS be like?

LG.
    A major component if the LCS show is the interaction of the comics while living in the house. Vos and Mordal in the hottub together last year? Hide and Seek with Dat Phan? Mordal chasing rats out of the house with a broom? This show is fundamentally different than AI in that while AI contestants do live together in Hollywood, that isn't really part of the show, while a major portion of LCS is -- let's throw these people in a house together Big Brother style AND make them do silly tricks to try for exemptions.

I like the idea of having the producers pick the top 20 (all being comics they'd like to see in the house) and let the celebrity comic judges pick half of them to go into the house. Either that or just let the producers cast the damn show and don't make some pretense that the prelimary rounds are anything other than casting, a la Next Action Hero.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    LG. I think you and I agree quite a bit.

I wouldn't want it to simply be a comedy version of AI. :nono

Personally, I'm stunned at the level of frustration I'm seeing in the posts regarding this show. I wonder how much the "scandal" would bother people if the comics they like the most made it into the house anyway?

We all like different humor. We all find different comics funny for different reasons. Do I like everyone that made it into the house? No, I don't. Do I think that some folks got into the house because of who they know? Published reports indicate yes. But I think that the producers have a much better idea of who is appealing to the masses than we do. Because unless we've seen these performers in other venues, we've had at most 5 minutes of exposure to their comedy - much less then the folks making the decisions.

I'm just ready for them to get into the house and get on with it already.

Okay , the reason I think it can't be a straight AI-like competition is that the viewers won't stand for it?

"Huh?" you ask.

Here's why. Most of a comedian's repetoire is repetition--even the good ones. The best can shade things differently on different nights, but the base is the same. Jay Leno has a crew of 20 writers or so to who attempt to feed him new jokes everyday, but Joe Average comedian doesn't have that.

Already, with as much editing wiggle room as this show has, people already complain loudly about seeing jokes twice. With a live show for 8 or 10 weeks? Forget about it.

What might be attempted is "live on tape", with live voting upon airing, and a GOOD deal of notice for the comedian. In other words, the comedian is given several months notice that he's secured a spot on LCS, works up about an hour of material, and makes his or her OWN decision how to split things up with the assumption that he may be seen by the same audience as many times as 8-10 times. Also, to mix things up, maybe not every competition is stand-up. Maybe a week or two involve the comedians left at that stage being given a mock sitcom script, it actually being taped, and the finished product for each being shown and audience judged by phone voting. Yes, we can harp on the fact that this is supposed to be "purely" about stand-up... but we know better. Why not capitalize on that fact to mix things up?

Another thing: the house has to be ditched. Sure, there was some great drama there, but if this is changed to somewhat real time--one step in the competition per week (even if not "live"), you are asking people probably much older, and with much more involved lives, to live in a stupid group house for 2 months or more. Even if they are willing to forego comedy club jobs for that long (more on that later), it's still a lot to ask a real adult--as opposed to the young whateversomethings on shows like AI.

Back to the "comedy club" subject. This basically gets down to, if this is made semi-AI style, should it really insist on complete amatuers? Frankly, I'm not sure. I think it could work either way, as long as the stink of producer favoritism and corruption is removed. although to be honest... newbies just WON'T have enough material. They just won't. So... maybe it's got to be the working comedians.

And even with the advanced notice, the comic picking their own mini-set without editing, etc., viewers might still have to be primed for repeated material. Have a famous comedian go on the first episode and give a mock-professorial lecture about how a comedian grows or something.

I appreciate your well-expressed insights, Krom...and wholeheartedly agree with Wayner and LG. I think all three of you made very valid points and pretty soundly reflected my own feelings on the subject.

Also, although I am still sharply smarting from the fact that Dan Naturman, Chris Voth, Paul Varghese and Retha Jones have all been eliminated, I guess I have already switched my allegiance to John Heffron and Jay London, and frankly found myself liking just about everyone who DID get chosen (Yes...EVEN ANT), and--strangely--very sadly affected almost every time someone got cut...I had to keep reminding myself that they HAD to eliminate SOMEONE...

Another weird thing was that I started off not too impressed with Todd Glass, but his persistent silliness in the little "behind the scenes" clips actually was cracking me up...it's normally not my kind of humor...but he was soooo off the wall that I found myself inexplicably amused.

I think if we take the show for what it is it will turn out to be very funny and entertaining, despite the fact that it may have been funnier and more entertaining to us had our personal favorites been chosen.
    Last edited by PIKATSSO; 06-18-2004 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    The AI outtake portions are funny because they're bad...problem is, a comic who's NOT funny is just bad.
    *cough* BUCK STAR *cough*
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PIKATSSO
    I appreciate your well-expressed insights, Krom...and wholeheartedly agree with Wayner and LG. I think all three of you made very valid points and pretty soundly reflected my own feelings on the subject.
    Krom's insights are to my insights what a Rembrandt is to finger-painting. Krom, your comments rocked!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    Krom's insights are to my insights what a Rembrandt is to finger-painting. Krom, your comments rocked!

Wayner...I just can't get enough of you! Did we by chance miss you in the audition programs? Well...hopefully there'll be a Next Year...

FORT Newbie
    What SHOULD LCS be like?

Not rigged.

Quote Originally Posted by CashMoneySoviet
    LCS should just be about the fans, I think that the show shoulda been live like American Idol and the fans would watch the stand ups then call in after the show and the winners are presented the next night. Thats my vision of a perfect LCS lol

Hey CashMoneySoviet, how has it been going? I haven't seen you on The O.C. thread that you created. It got quite popular.

Anyways I agree with what you are saying, but that would be impossible, since they film the house scenes months in advance of the finals. Of course, if they set it up like a Big Brother type of scenario, where we could watch them live on the Internet, plus see the edited scenes a couple of days later on the regular show, then it would work.

But as we can see by the people that made it into the house, this line of thinking will never go over with the producers. They want it done their way and screw the fans. :phhht

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    LG. I think you and I agree quite a bit.

I wouldn't want it to simply be a comedy version of AI. :nono

Personally, I'm stunned at the level of frustration I'm seeing in the posts regarding this show. I wonder how much the "scandal" would bother people if the comics they like the most made it into the house anyway?

We all like different humor. We all find different comics funny for different reasons. Do I like everyone that made it into the house? No, I don't. Do I think that some folks got into the house because of who they know? Published reports indicate yes. But I think that the producers have a much better idea of who is appealing to the masses than we do. Because unless we've seen these performers in other venues, we've had at most 5 minutes of exposure to their comedy - much less then the folks making the decisions.

I'm just ready for them to get into the house and get on with it already.

Hi Wayner, of course we haven't seen them in the house yet, so we don't know how they will turn out. But at this time last year, with LCS1, there were 3 or 4 standout comics, who were funny doing standup, that most of us agreed on. This year it seems, that the majority of fans don't think that they best people made it into the house. Now maybe they will become super funny when they step thru the doors of the house, that is what I am hoping for. But if their personality in the house is as funny as their standup, then it is going to make for a long and boring season.

Well, we will just have to wait and see what happens, starting next week. I of course cannot wait and will make my comments as the season progress.

Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast