+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Show, Old Pros: Where have we seen these people before?

New Show, Old Pros: Where have we seen these people before?

In the first episode thread, Daddio said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    It even goes further than this. According to Sue Costello's IMDB file, she played a cop in the Laurence Fishburn movie "Once in the Life" in 2000, she appeared in the movie "Southie" in 1998 and of course starred in her own self-titled sitcom "Costello" in 1998.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...et/showid-2983

She also appeared as a guest panelist on Colin Quinns show "The Tough Crowd" as well as a guest appearance on NYPD Blue in 1993. The town of Watts, California even holds an annual "Sue Costello Day" every September 29th.

So how is it fair that an actress/comedianne with over a decade of movie and televsion credits, including a self-titled sitcom; is in the same competition as ameteurs - some who have barely done open mic nights?

What's next? JLO or Xtina as constestants on AI4?
    I thought this was meaty enough to split into it's own topic, especially after all of the talk last year about how Ralphie May and Rich Vos were pre-existing close buddies of Mohr.

Costello is far from the only "offender" this year.

Jim Norton is a personal friend of Jay Mohr (part of that same circle with Rich Vos, Colin Quinn, etc.--in fact he's another regular on Quinn's show), and is very well known. He appeared regularly with Mohr on Opie & Anthony's ill-fated radio show (they were on for years and got suddenly canned in one of these complaint-based "decency" raids that are becoming more and more prevalent these days). He's genuinely funny, but a real insider, Ralphie May/Rich Vos style.

Pablo Francisco is a former cast member of Mad TV, and has had several comedy albums.

Kathleen Madigan has been on Letterman (multiple times), Hollywood Squares, and other similar venues.

Will Durst is a friend of Dave Mordal's, and thus the assumption would be that he's unknown, as Mordal was. But even though he hasn't really been on broadcast TV much, he's actually a pretty well known political satirist--who writes for the NY Times and had his own show on PBS.

Tom Cotter has made it at least as far as the Tonight Show. So you know those Tonight Show judges at least knew who he was.

Virtually EVERY one of these folks (Durst being an exception I think) has previously been on a Comedy Central show called "Comedy Remix"--which admittedly seemed to just be broadcasting club performances, but still...

So while none of these people are raving successes, there's certainly every indication that they are hardly "new talent" (and frankly this year they didn't pretend that either, they way they spoke about the contest). Sue Costello is not the exception, she's the rule.

I'm not quite sure what the bitch is here. Quite frankly I haven't heard of a lot of these people. Who cares that they have had decades of practice, sitcoms, talk show gigs, etc. It's called "The Last Comic Standing" not "The Last Comic Who Has Never Got a Gig" show.

Also, the "new" guys just aren't as funny and wouldn't be as entertaining without the veterans interacting with them.

Why don't we try to figure out how the producers are going to get the person with the least amount of exposure but most commercial interest up against the personal best friend of Jay Mohr or a Sue Costello with all the experience, etc. and still manage to pull of a win (ala Dat Phan).

Side note: Dave Mordal wasn't as big as he could have been prior to LCS1 because he chose to limit his playing field.

FORT Fogey
    Lovely...so NBC obviously underestimated the joint resources of the FORT would be onto this within 24 hours of the first airing. I guess they just assumed nobody would remember seeing any of these "contestents" before during their numerous TV and film appearances???

Why not just call the show what it is - "Last Nepetist Standing" - or "Jay Mohr's How to single handedly pay all your comedy buds mortages this year show".

But to call it an open casting search for new and unknown talent???

I dont know Funnygirl...i suppose on a technicality you are right. I guess I always "assumed" this was a search for new and undiscovered talent - jewels in the rough. I didnt realize it was a showcase for has-beens and never was'es. But maybe NBC just wants us to think that.
    Last edited by Daddio; 06-09-2004 at 02:45 PM.

PSi
    It's a mix of veterans and unknowns. If it were all amateurs, then i doubt the show would be as funny as it was. Bitch all you want, but who were the funniest from last year- Vos, Mordal, and Ralphie.

Most of them that have been doing stand-up for 2 years are professionals....So, by that you're implying that everyone on American Idol are amateurs as well? i seriously doubt that as well. I see nothing wrong with it other than it shouldn't be vet heavy...

You know what, i don't really care, as long as the show makes me laugh then i'll be happy.

PSi
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    Why not just call the show what it is - "Last Nepetist Standing" - or "Jay Mohr's How to single handedly paid all your comedy buds mortages this year show".

But to call it an open casting search for new and unknown talent???

For every one Rich Vos and Ralphie May there's a Dave Mordal and Rob Cantrell.

For every Jim Norton there's one of that russian kid who was only doing standup for six months.

I don't have a particular bitch. I was just countering Daddio's point. Will Durst, for example, is already "big" in his own way, but certainly not undeserving.

Although perhaps it DOES take on a level of inappropriateness when you get to the level where some of these people are poker buddies and old pals of Mohr. Although again maybe not, since Jim Norton, for one, IS really funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    Although perhaps it DOES take on a level of inappropriateness when you get to the level where some of these people are poker buddies and old pals of Mohr. Although again maybe not, since Jim Norton, for one, IS really funny.
    It's still fun to watch no matter how "rigged" it may be. I don't like that they say "America decides".

Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl422
    It's still fun to watch no matter how "rigged" it may be. I don't like that they say "America decides".
    Oh sure they do. After they've narrowed it down to two possibilities, including a number of producer-mandated advancements (as per the Drew Carey/Brett Butler accusations), as well as an initial easing of the way for the Sue Costellos and Jim Nortons (who certainly weren't waiting out in the cold--they were specifically invited to compete).

I'm not sure it means the same thing as "rigged", but certainly there is some false adverting. At least this year, in the early auditions, they didn't try and pretend as hard that these people didn't already know each other.

Will Durst is pretty well-known. He even hosts a regular series on PBS about working; goes to various interesting jobs and talks to the people who do them. It's not stand-up comedy but he hosts and narrates it in a humorous way. He's a well known political satirist. He's a household name (in our house, at least).

Did anyone get to read the disclaimer at the end? It flashed by too fast, next time I'll tape it. Something about the participants having various levels of familiarity with the judges.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Will Durst is pretty well-known. He even hosts a regular series on PBS about working; goes to various interesting jobs and talks to the people who do them. It's not stand-up comedy but he hosts and narrates it in a humorous way. He's a well known political satirist. He's a household name (in our house, at least).

Did anyone get to read the disclaimer at the end? It flashed by too fast, next time I'll tape it. Something about the participants having various levels of familiarity with the judges.
    As I said before, Durst even writes for the NY Times.

That disclaimer was a real ass-coverer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast