+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Show, Old Pros: Where have we seen these people before?

Quote Originally Posted by eric11
    Most of these people that we know had connections are pretty funny though (with the exception of Ant.) We may complain of how Vos and ralphie were connected to Mohr, or even Jim Norton, but they do deserve to be on the show. Funny is Funny is Funny is Funny
    agreed....
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Did anyone mention that Todd Glass (Fred Flinstone meets Mel Gibson) already has a comedy central special, plus many Tough crowd appearances.

nothing has changed though, still many many ethnic comedians.

The Girl With FORT-itude saltyj's Avatar
    I don't honestly think it matters that some of the contestants are more well-known. It's interesting to see how the veterans and the newbies interact. Take Dat Phan. An unknown beat out the veterans of comedy like Rich, Ralphie, and Dave. I, personally, am very happy to see Pablo Francisco on the show. I love his comedy and I want to see how he'll stack up against these newbies. Some of them could very well end up winning the show in an upset like last season...
    Viva La Vie Boheme!

Quote Originally Posted by PSi
    Prior to the start of the contestant selection process, some talent scouts had verious levels of familiarity with some of the audtionioning applicants. NOt all performers were featured.

Contesant order fo apperance may have been changed for creative purposes. Juding was conducted at the time of taping.

Applicants were chosen to advance to the next round of audtions by the talent scouts in conjunction with the producers and NBC.
    Were the 7 spelling mistakes NBC's or yours?
    Just kidding - thanks for typing this up for us PSi.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

It's good to discover new talent, but it is not like america where they look for the best ameture. It is a search for "the funniest". It is obvious it would be career suicide for the actual funniest (Seinfeld, Carlin...) to go on this show, but who cares if they have been on comedy central or not. Good for them if they have been able to get a spot on Premium Blend.

I'm on side with Daddio for this. I think it should be brand-new, previously undiscovered talent, period. Do a Night at the Improv type of show for the others who are already "pros".
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey
    I agree with everyone that funny is funny is funny.

But if all you want is comedy from proffessional stand-up comedians, then NBC should drop the pretense and just put on a show and call it "Comedy Showcase" or something similar and advertise it for what it is.

Yes, professional journeymen comics are very funny. They should be, they better be, they all probably perform close to 300 routines a year, sometimes two or three shows a night. Multiply that by 5-7-10 years working the comedy shack curcuits and their gonna be funny, seasoned, professionals.

I can turn on Comedy Central, BET, Showtime etc and see hours and hours of these guys on shows that admit what they are.

I was led to believe that LCS was going to be something different, fresh, new; an amateur compitition to find a hidden undisovered talent from amongst the every day Jack & Jills of Main Street USA, the guy down the street, the woman who cuts your hair, the guy working in the butcher shop, the chain smoking grandmother, not a show stocked full of ringers.

That is my whole point cut and dried.
    Last edited by Daddio; 06-09-2004 at 05:00 PM.

FORT Fan
    Where ever did you get that idea?

Comedy is a craft that takes a lot practice and time to hone the skills. I don't know anyone who could go up in front of a crowd and do 5 minutes of material and make people laugh on a weekly basis. A show filled with rank amateurs would be awful to watch and career suicide for those with aspirations. I think you need a well balanced mix of newbies and veterans if you are going to pull this off and make it worthwhile to tune in every week.

I thought the point of these shows were to find the best undiscovered talent, I guess not.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Marysafan
    Where ever did you get that idea?

Comedy is a craft that takes a lot practice and time to hone the skills. I don't know anyone who could go up in front of a crowd and do 5 minutes of material and make people laugh on a weekly basis. A show filled with rank amateurs would be awful to watch and career suicide for those with aspirations.
    What you say is very true, but not every talented person has exclusively dedicated their lives and/or professions to their craft.

There are scores of exceptionally talented musicians, singers, dancers, comics; who arent pro's. Who dont have connections. Who dont have agents or business managers. They are people with families, careers, obligations etc. They are people that had to put thier own dreams on hold while they worked to pay for braces, chose to be at home to wipe away tears and give daily hugs and rides to soccer practice instead of living out of a suitecases and Motel 6's 90% of the year "Paying their dues".

They may not be full time professionals, but they are people with dreams.

Not being a journeyman professional doesnt mean they have any less of a natural or attained gift or talent. It just means that LIFE happened and put their dreams on the back burner for a while.

Some of the funniest grass roots humour is domestic, real-life humour, not yuppie, night club cliched "Whats the deal with..." flavor of the month, store bought jokes.

So they practice, they dream, the do open mic night at the local joint, and they hope and pray for a chance, just a fair chance, to reach for that brass ring. And I mistakingly thought that is what this show was supposed to be about.

I guess I am simply naive and sentimental.
    Last edited by Daddio; 06-09-2004 at 05:48 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast