+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Show, Old Pros: Where have we seen these people before?

FORT Fogey
    I guess I am just naive...i just always assume open competition and casting calls are for ameteurs...and that decisions regarding the future work garnered by industry pros and journeymen are handled in network conference rooms with producers, lawyers and agents and not on network TV in the guise of a "contest" to "discover" new talent to cultivate.
    Last edited by Daddio; 06-09-2004 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Will Durst is pretty well-known. He even hosts a regular series on PBS about working; goes to various interesting jobs and talks to the people who do them. It's not stand-up comedy but he hosts and narrates it in a humorous way. He's a well known political satirist. He's a household name (in our house, at least).

Did anyone get to read the disclaimer at the end? It flashed by too fast, next time I'll tape it. Something about the participants having various levels of familiarity with the judges.
    Yeah, someone find that!
    Anyway, my .02. If I wanted to see a series of open mike nights for total amateurs, I guess I'd go out in my home town and see it. I watch LCS to laugh my a** off and I did last night - man, that Russian kid was savage, and while I know and love Will Durst work - they are all going to have a run for there money.
    And don't I recall a few complaints about ol' Dat Phan not having enough experience from last year?

PSi
    They said it last year- they do have casting calls for the public, but some people's agents call the producers for a private audition.

but they may be all friends with mohr, but if you're not funny you're not funny *cough* buck star *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    I guess I am just naive...i just always assume open competition and casting calls are for ameteurs...and that decisions regarding the future work garnered by industry pros and journeymen are handled in network conference rooms with producers, lawyers and agents and not on network TV in the guise of a "contest" to "discover" new talent to cultivate.
    Nooo Daddio. There have been A-list actors who have admitted to going to open auditions for parts in certain flicks.

As far as the decision-making process, there's no entertainment when production can't manipulate the contest.

If you think about it, Dat really wasn't catapulted into fame stemming from his win last year. :rolleyes

Quote Originally Posted by duplessis3
    And don't I recall a few complaints about ol' Dat Phan not having enough experience from last year?
    Sure, from Ralphie May.

My complaint about Dat was that he sucked--that he had variations on one joke and pounded away on it over and over again. Also, that while he didn't decend quite to Buck-Star-ish levels of obliviousness over what lines were actually funny, that his substitute for an innate sense of what was funny (it should come from within) was methodical and scientific, and thus he had no ability "off-the-cuff".

Experience? Who cares. I mean as a practical thing it helps, but all of that talk about "paying dues" always sounds like an "us vs. them" thing.

PSi
    and here's the disclaimer (luckily i had it in my vcr)

Prior to the start of the contestant selection process, some talent scouts had verious levels of familiarity with some of the audtionioning applicants. NOt all performers were featured.

Contesant order fo apperance may have been changed for creative purposes. Juding was conducted at the time of taping.

Applicants were chosen to advance to the next round of audtions by the talent scouts in conjunction with the producers and NBC.

also in the begining, the tiny scout (who books people for leno) said that people who he booked on that show were calling him up to try out for this...it's not like they had to call these people up and beg them to try out. with the obvious success of vos and mordal and may, these b/c comics realize they can really cash in on this.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by duplessis3
    If I wanted to see a series of open mike nights for total amateurs, I guess I'd go out in my home town and see it. I watch LCS to laugh my a** off .
    I actually thought that some of the funniest moments last night came from the green ameteurs. They seem fresh and hungry and sincere. Sure they are not polished nor experienced and they need work on their acts - thus perfect candidates for a developement agreement and it would be nice to see their journey over the course of the series - a true Reality TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    I actually thought that some of the funniest moments last night came from the green ameteurs. They seem fresh and hungry and sincere. Sure they are not polished nor experienced and they need work on their acts - thus perfect candidates for a developement agreement and it would be nice to see their journey over the course of the series - a true Reality TV show.
    And there are some of those on the show - the Russian kid, as I mentioned before. The guy from Oklahoma...Its a good mix and I think we may be surprized.

Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl422
    It's still fun to watch no matter how "rigged" it may be. I don't like that they say "America decides".
    well, seeing how AI3 pulled an LCS... maybe what we are watching is the future of reality TV.

Gee, I knew i was ahead of my time...
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Most of these people that we know had connections are pretty funny though (with the exception of Ant.) We may complain of how Vos and ralphie were connected to Mohr, or even Jim Norton, but they do deserve to be on the show. Funny is Funny is Funny is Funny

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast