+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the Prize Really Worth it?

PSi

Is the Prize Really Worth it?

Hi. Long time reader, first time poster. Blah Blah Blah.
    Now i'm not sure if it's been really mentioned, but with the finals looming, i found myself asking-- is the ultimate prize really worth it.
    Yes, i know they get a special on comedy central, which will air between Just one of the Guys and Hairspray, but i'm talking about the Talent Contract.
    These are stand up comedians, what good is an NBC talent contract? Odds are NBC will just throw them in to that god-awful Whoopi or Good Morning Miami. Shouldn't the prize be stand-up related, like a headlining tour of Vegas or something? What good is it that you'll be in a hollywood studio for months on end shooting something you're not accustomed to (unless you're Dat Phan)
    Which leads me to this point...doesn't it make a little sense to build up Dat...to make him more marketable, to try to get the Asian market? I mean, how many Asians are there on prime time TV? It makes some sense (in my mind) that they made Dat look like the sympathetic one.

FORT Fan
    Fame and Money...
    i say it is....

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    IT is worth it because of, well, the money and a chance to further their carrears. Welcome to ye olde FORTe PSi!

Quote Originally Posted by coolman
    Fame and Money...
    i say it is....
    and the ultimate reason that most guys do things..... women.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

PSi
    Oooh, fame. It’s not like they don’t already have that from just being in the house. They will use that under their name as long as they’re in stand up…just look at all the troglodytes from the Real World. Most of them still are like “yeah, I was in RW season 2….” And they’re like 35 now.
    But does it really matter that you’ll be a supporting role on some mid-season replacement? Will anyone tune into the show to see their 4 minute cameo?
    But my point is- what does doing stand-up have to do with being in a sitcom? It just doesn’t add up. You could be a good actor and a horrible comedian and vice versa.
    And yes this is a bad example, but there’s a commercial on for it now…but it’s like the Surf Grils show, instead of winning those surfing prizes, they get to do an ad shoot for some crappy clothing line?
    I don’t think it makes sense. But that’s just me.

FORT Regular
    I guess it might depend on what any given comic's ultimate goal is. Many stand-up comedians have gone on to television and movies. Some do both. So if that's the winner's ultimate goal, then yes, the prize would be worth it, even if it turns out to be an appearance on a crappy sitcom. They'd at least get thier foot in the door, and sometimes that's half the battle. But if the ultimate goal is to get more exposure as a stand-up, then I agree with you. Something other than sit-com related would be better. Maybe an appearance on Leno every month for a year or something. As a side note, if I'm not mistaken, they're given a development deal (?) (or something like that) - I have no idea what that consists of. It could be a sit-com deal, but not necessarily. I don't remember ever hearing that it was necessarily a sit-com. I could be wrong on that, though.

i think no matter what just being on the show all together makes it worth it!...fame....contracts with other channels.....the possibilities are endless
    Missin Dave

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by PSi
    Now i'm not sure if it's been really mentioned, but with the finals looming, i found myself asking-- is the ultimate prize really worth it.
    Yes, i know they get a special on comedy central, which will air between Just one of the Guys and Hairspray, but i'm talking about the Talent Contract.
    These are stand up comedians, what good is an NBC talent contract? Odds are NBC will just throw them in to that god-awful Whoopi or Good Morning Miami. Shouldn't the prize be stand-up related, like a headlining tour of Vegas or something? What good is it that you'll be in a hollywood studio for months on end shooting something you're not accustomed to (unless you're Dat Phan)
    Which leads me to this point...doesn't it make a little sense to build up Dat...to make him more marketable, to try to get the Asian market? I mean, how many Asians are there on prime time TV? It makes some sense (in my mind) that they made Dat look like the sympathetic one.
    This isn't a diss to you or anything but I don't understand your last point. More marketable to the Asian market? When was the last time a TV network crater to the Asian market? I don't even think T.V. networks try to crater to the Asian market. It is very hard from Asian-American actors/actress to break into showbusiness. Except for Ming-Na's character in E.R. I don't recall another show that protrays Asians and Asian-Americans in a non-sterotypical way. So I don't understand your point that NBC might be making Dat the sympathetic person in the LCS group so he would win, and help NBC capture the Asian market, when networks clearly don't care about the Asian market. If they did there would be more lead Asian-American characters playing non-sterotypical roles on television.

PSi
    I understand what you're trying to say, but if you read any of the hundreds of recent articles out there, a lot of minorty groups are complaining about no exposure on network TV. Best expample- no blacks in Friends....in NYC come on.
    So, in the minds of NBC, woudln't it be easier if they could kill two birds with one stone? I used the asian market as an example...i could have used tess and blacks and it would be the same thing. I'm just saying, it's a way to tap into a minority market that hasn't, outside of UPN, been tapped itno. Does it matter if it's sterotypic? Look at the god-awful previews for Whoopi. Can you get any more stereotypic than that?
    I merely suggested that might be a reason why NBC portrayed him that way. If i were a network exec, i'd take a housewife-friendly Dat over someone like Rich or Ralphie, whom many dislike their characters.

Quote Originally Posted by PSi

These are stand up comedians, what good is an NBC talent contract? Odds are NBC will just throw them in to that god-awful Whoopi or Good Morning Miami.
    I think you're right...I've been thinking that myself. How can the "prize" actually give any of these people more exposure than the show already has??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast