+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Is the Prize Really Worth it?

  1. #11
    Don't Panic senrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by buzz1023
    This isn't a diss to you or anything but I don't understand your last point. More marketable to the Asian market? When was the last time a TV network crater to the Asian market? I don't even think T.V. networks try to crater to the Asian market. It is very hard from Asian-American actors/actress to break into showbusiness. Except for Ming-Na's character in E.R. I don't recall another show that protrays Asians and Asian-Americans in a non-sterotypical way. So I don't understand your point that NBC might be making Dat the sympathetic person in the LCS group so he would win, and help NBC capture the Asian market, when networks clearly don't care about the Asian market. If they did there would be more lead Asian-American characters playing non-sterotypical roles on television.
    Rubbish.
    saying that DAT would bring the Asian demographic is like saying Margaret Cho would.... and exactly HOW long did her series last? There are a lot of shows that fail, even shows where the main characters are 'non-white'. Anyone remeber 'the hughleys'? The problem is: there are many that would take the opportunity of DAT on TV as something important, Either as a direct impact on 'diversity on TV', or as a symptom of what's wrong with TV.

    The problem, at least in my mind, with these Ideas is that they perpetuate idiotic myths like : if you have an Asian guy as the star of a show, that all asians will watch him. The problem is this: Asians, like most other 'ethnic' groups, are not a monolithic group mind. They don't go just where 'their own people' are. To say they are, is a bit racist, at least in MY mind, because it is a statement that they are too dumb to have their own minds.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

  2. #12
    dvm
    dvm is offline
    Get off the hate train.
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3,017
    Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    Rubbish.
    saying that DAT would bring the Asian demographic is like saying Margaret Cho would.... and exactly HOW long did her series last? There are a lot of shows that fail, even shows where the main characters are 'non-white'. Anyone remeber 'the hughleys'? The problem is: there are many that would take the opportunity of DAT on TV as something important, Either as a direct impact on 'diversity on TV', or as a symptom of what's wrong with TV.

    The problem, at least in my mind, with these Ideas is that they perpetuate idiotic myths like : if you have an Asian guy as the star of a show, that all asians will watch him. The problem is this: Asians, like most other 'ethnic' groups, are not a monolithic group mind. They don't go just where 'their own people' are. To say they are, is a bit racist, at least in MY mind, because it is a statement that they are too dumb to have their own minds.
    You, my friend are a genius.

  3. #13
    Soccer Kicks Balls cali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    right behind you
    Age
    47
    Posts
    15,258
    off topicWell, being a white woman, I'm not sure I can comment fairly on this, but I'm going to comment anyway

    My husband is Hispanic and we will watch a show with a Hispanic in the lead or highly supporting role at least once. . I have to say we may not if they weren't in the show. Of course this doesn't mean we blindly watch shows week after week if we don't find them good.

    My point is I would wager there are a large number of minorities that would watch a show, at lest once simply because they want to see if they can identify with the lead person.

    on topic I have no idea if it's all worth it or not. I have laughed several times because some of the "older" comics gave Dat such a hard time for wanting to be on TV, but ... aren't they all on TV? Aren't they all going to win the same prize?

    Any publicity is good publicity if you just want your name known.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

  4. #14
    Don't Panic senrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by dvm
    You, my friend are a genius.
    lol and I never even studied marketing.... (just the psychology of the mass media).
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

  5. #15
    Don't Panic senrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by cali
    off topicWell, being a white woman, I'm not sure I can comment fairly on this, but I'm going to comment anyway

    My husband is Hispanic and we will watch a show with a Hispanic in the lead or highly supporting role at least once. . I have to say we may not if they weren't in the show. Of course this doesn't mean we blindly watch shows week after week if we don't find them good.

    My point is I would wager there are a large number of minorities that would watch a show, at lest once simply because they want to see if they can identify with the lead person.

    on topic I have no idea if it's all worth it or not. I have laughed several times because some of the "older" comics gave Dat such a hard time for wanting to be on TV, but ... aren't they all on TV? Aren't they all going to win the same prize?

    Any publicity is good publicity if you just want your name known.
    You are a white woman, fine. Does that mean you are going to watch a TV series that stars a white woman, just because of the white woman? To me the ethnic group doesn't really matter, but the logic holds up. Even so-called white people are not a monolithic entity that swallows up so-called 'white' programming.

    The fact that I am caucasian and a guy doesn't concern me one way or another, since human nature is human nature, and based on that, no one wants to be a member of the Borg.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

  6. #16
    Soccer Kicks Balls cali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    right behind you
    Age
    47
    Posts
    15,258
    no, because whites are on TV all over the damn place. Not so for minorities.

    I seriously don't think that by me saying that I believe some people DO watch shows (AT LEAST ONCE) only because of the lead actor and his/her nationality equates me to calling someone part of the Borg, but I do appreciate the Trekkie reference and understand where you are going with it.
    I just disagree.

    I asked my Brother in law and My sister in law (hubby's siblings) if they ever watched shows with a hispanic in the lead. Their answer? ALWAYS ONCE.
    Yes, they are but two people of one nationality, but I stand by my belief that it happens often.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

  7. #17
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    Rubbish.
    saying that DAT would bring the Asian demographic is like saying Margaret Cho would.... and exactly HOW long did her series last? There are a lot of shows that fail, even shows where the main characters are 'non-white'. Anyone remeber 'the hughleys'? The problem is: there are many that would take the opportunity of DAT on TV as something important, Either as a direct impact on 'diversity on TV', or as a symptom of what's wrong with TV.

    The problem, at least in my mind, with these Ideas is that they perpetuate idiotic myths like : if you have an Asian guy as the star of a show, that all asians will watch him. The problem is this: Asians, like most other 'ethnic' groups, are not a monolithic group mind. They don't go just where 'their own people' are. To say they are, is a bit racist, at least in MY mind, because it is a statement that they are too dumb to have their own minds.
    I didn't say that if Dat had his own show on NBC that EVERY Asian-American would watch it. But I understand how you might of thought that was my point. The orginal creater of the thread wrote that NBC might be favoring Dat to win because they want to capture the Asian demographics. I simply diagreed with him saying that NBC doesn't have/doesn't care about the Asian demographics otherwise there would be Asian-Americans in lead roles.

    From my understanding, when Margaret Cho's show first came out, quite a few Asian-Americans did check it out, but they were quicky turned off by it because of the bad premise, and the fact that her show was nothing like her comedy.

    The reality is that there are shows that target certain demographics. Whether those demographics will watch the show is a different story. Did you know that in the movie industry that there are white demographics, African-American demographics and Hispanic demographics, but no Asian demographics exisit. They are just grouped with the whites. I agree with you that just because a show has a certain race on a show that everyone of that race would not immediately start watching the show, but that fact remains that there are so few Asian-Americans on TV shows and movies that when one does appear, other Asians, in my opinion, will take notice and check it out. If the show is good, they will continue to watch it, not because there is a Asian character on the show, but because of the fact that they are watching a good show that they like that happened to have a Asian-American as one of its lead characters. This was true for the sport basketball when Yao Ming, the third and agrueable best Chinese basketball player, played in the NBA. A lot of Asian-Americans took noticed of him and became a fan of his. In turn they became basetball fans.

    Sorry for my long rant, maybe I'm just bitter by the fact that most of the time whenever I see a Asian-American actor/actress on television or in the movies, they either knew material arts, Chinese delievery biys, can't speak perfect english, and in general that the character is never fully developed as a real person and not just a sterotype.

  8. #18
    Don't Panic senrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by buzz1023
    I didn't say that if Dat had his own show on NBC that EVERY Asian-American would watch it. But I understand how you might of thought that was my point. The orginal creater of the thread wrote that NBC might be favoring Dat to win because they want to capture the Asian demographics. I simply disagreed with him saying that NBC doesn't have/doesn't care about the Asian demographics otherwise there would be Asian-Americans in lead roles.

    From my understanding, when Margaret Cho's show first came out, quite a few Asian-Americans did check it out, but they were quicky turned off by it because of the bad premise, and the fact that her show was nothing like her comedy.

    The reality is that there are shows that target certain demographics. Whether those demographics will watch the show is a different story. Did you know that in the movie industry that there are white demographics, African-American demographics and Hispanic demographics, but no Asian demographics exisit. They are just grouped with the whites. I agree with you that just because a show has a certain race on a show that everyone of that race would not immediately start watching the show, but that fact remains that there are so few Asian-Americans on TV shows and movies that when one does appear, other Asians, in my opinion, will take notice and check it out. If the show is good, they will continue to watch it, not because there is a Asian character on the show, but because of the fact that they are watching a good show that they like that happened to have a Asian-American as one of its lead characters. This was true for the sport basketball when Yao Ming, the third and agrueable best Chinese basketball player, played in the NBA. A lot of Asian-Americans took noticed of him and became a fan of his. In turn they became basetball fans.

    Sorry for my long rant, maybe I'm just bitter by the fact that most of the time whenever I see a Asian-American actor/actress on television or in the movies, they either knew material arts, Chinese delievery biys, can't speak perfect english, and in general that the character is never fully developed as a real person and not just a sterotype.
    yes, you are exactly right. and I wasn't argueing with you, just the bass akwards ways that media conglomerates put shows on the air, allegedly to push a demographic, but in reality, to turn people off due to bad writing. My ideal vehicle for an ethnicity (any, and that does include us caucasians) in a series is that which is well written, and shows the differences, without emphasizing it. this way it can be real enough to deal with, and compelling enough to watch more than once. Of course, with the quality of writing on TV nowadays.....

    and in defense of asians in sports, there are several on my hometown baseball team... Go M's.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.