+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dave Mordal fansite.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Cash, I love the look of the site - very nice! A couple things I noticed:

- In the Schedule section, you mention the Tough Crowd appearance is 11:30PM. You might want to include a time zone on that.

- On the Home page, the link text was black if visited and white if not. On the Biography page, the link text is red if visited and blue if not. They should be consistent. Personally, I think the black and white is more consistent with the look of the site than the red and blue.

- The Quotes page has the same content as the Home page, but the link text is red and blue again.

- The Media page has the same content at the Schedule page, but the link text is black and white.

- The Contact and Links pages are cut off shorter than the other pages.

- Every page says "News and Updates." It would be helpful to users of the site if each page was titled appropriately: "Home", "Schedule", etc.

Sorry if that seems too critical; I'm a programmer. Honestly I think it's got the makings of being a very cool site, Mike!

OK, let me tell you what bothers me about it.

You composed this in 1024x768 right? did you notice what it looks like in other sizes?

at 800x600 you have to scroll too much to read the text.

at 1280x1024 (what I use at home) the navigation background tiles onto the left.

you might want to consider formatting the graphics within tables so that you don't have that problem....

(I also poked around inside your HTML code)
    Also, is that your Final choice for text? Remember that the Font tag is really a IE proprietary extension, and that it is significantly more versatile to use h1, h2 etc tags which can then be defined using CSS.

The other reason to do things this way is that by using arial as a font, you limit the exact appeal of your text to those who have that Font (namely windows users), CSS allows you to set alternative tags, and specific font sizes, borders etc.... for some ideas regarding what you can do, check my blog site (see sig), where everything on the page is done with text alone.

HTML is funny because you need to design for anyone that hits the site. You have some of the basics down, but its time to think about what configuration your audience will have.

all in all though, a good beginning. Keep it up.

You might want to include meta Keyword tags whish will help search engines categorise your site properly.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    The site isn't completely finished yet, the red and blue was the standard, I just havent had the time to change it. I will edit the layouts to go with the page. The media and quotes/jokes/material pages aren't at all done. Thank you Wayner!

FORT Newbie
    Great site. One scary note. I went to the site and looked at Dave's hair in the picture and realized that today I subconsciously got the same haircut. I need to stop watching this show.

Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    OK, let me tell you what bothers me about it.

You composed this in 1024x768 right? did you notice what it looks like in other sizes?

at 800x600 you have to scroll too much to read the text.

at 1280x1024 (what I use at home) the navigation background tiles onto the left.

you might want to consider formatting the graphics within tables so that you don't have that problem....

(I also poked around inside your HTML code)
    Also, is that your Final choice for text? Remember that the Font tag is really a IE proprietary extension, and that it is significantly more versatile to use h1, h2 etc tags which can then be defined using CSS.

The other reason to do things this way is that by using arial as a font, you limit the exact appeal of your text to those who have that Font (namely windows users), CSS allows you to set alternative tags, and specific font sizes, borders etc.... for some ideas regarding what you can do, check my blog site (see sig), where everything on the page is done with text alone.

HTML is funny because you need to design for anyone that hits the site. You have some of the basics down, but its time to think about what configuration your audience will have.

all in all though, a good beginning. Keep it up.

You might want to include meta Keyword tags whish will help search engines categorise your site properly.
    I really don't have the time to learn CSS and, well, I don't know how to put the background onto a table and then text over it.

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    It's okay, Cash! You don't need to knock it out of the park first time out. I'm astounded with what you have accomplished considering your age! Gee, I am almost 40 and have a huge website of my own and I learn stuff every day!

I say just keep up the good work. I think it looks awesome.
    ~*~ Maji *~

Thanks, Maji! I read the whole HTML 4 for Dummies before doing this site.

In the week and a half that the site has been up, I have gotten nearly 300 hits. Not bad considering I've never broken 120 before this site.

i for one think that that is a lot of time to be spending on a website, and i'm sure dave truly appreciates it. i hardly update the graphics on my classroom, except for the text, and that in itself takes awhile. so kudos to you, especially for reading a book before doing it. who reads them books nowadays anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by CashMoneySoviet
    In the week and a half that the site has been up, I have gotten nearly 300 hits. Not bad considering I've never broken 120 before this site.
    [More and more people are discovering the conveniences of a bedside water carafe.

Quote Originally Posted by CashMoneySoviet
    I really don't have the time to learn CSS and, well, I don't know how to put the background onto a table and then text over it.
    allow me to give the crash course:
    css: in this case very simple
    (shift comma) style (Shift period) This goes inside your head element
    then you define what you want to do with each tag, for example:
    body{margin:0px;padding:0px;ba ckground:#507ade;color:#ffffff ;font-family:"Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-Serif;}
    a{color:#DE7008;} * Changes the color of the links
    a:hover{color:#E0AD12;} *changes the color when you hover over a link

h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6{padding:0px; margin:0px;}* standard formatting for all H tags)
    h1{padding:25px 0px 10px 5%;border-top:double 3px #BF5C00;border-bottom:solid 1px E89E47;color:#F5DEB3;backgroun d:#DE7008;font:bold 300% Verdana,Sans-Serif;letter-spacing:-2px;}
    h2{color:#9E5205;font-weight:bold;font-family:Verdana,Sans-Serif;letter-spacing:-1px;}
    h3{margin:10px 0px 0px 0px;color:#777777;font-size:105%;}
    h6{color:#B8A80D;font-size:140%;}

and so on. ... (Shift Comma) /style (Shift Period)

for a background .. add the following to your tr tags (had to remove the <> because it messed up this nice threads layout, and replace it with shift comma for "<" and shift period for ">"

(shift Comma)tr valign="top" background="whatever"(shift period)

html is really not that hard.
    Last edited by senrik; 08-01-2003 at 11:16 PM.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast