+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Episode Nine: Well, That Was Disappointing

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Final5
    Wayner,

Very good recap, but I would have liked to know more of your opinions on how they did..granted it was only 5 minutes
    Thanks Final5, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I think that perhaps I shouldn't have read anything from the spoilers thread last week before writing my recap. Like everyone, I was disappointed by last week's show. But I was so sick of reading the endless stream of people acting like they were comedy experts after last week's show that I was ready to hurl. Perhaps that is why I refrained from giving more of my opinion; there were already so many out there that I didn't really think anyone would care to hear yet another one. Now that time - or perhaps spending the last three days in a wilderness area - has calmed me down, here is my opinion of the performances last week; some of what you'll see has probably been stated a hundred times in this forum already, some of it hasn't. Some of you will agree with my opinions, some of you will think I'm insane.

Ralphie: I thought using new material showed he's not a one-trick pony, which was nice. Contrary to many of the left-leaning people in this forum, I thought his choice of material wasn't "pandering to a pro-war crowd", but was a bold, even risky, move. He ran the risk of alienating people that are anti-war and/or people who's politics lean to the left. Yes, I admit that my politics favor the right. I thought Ralphie took the format into account - he had a measley five minutes to do a routine; he picked a topic and went. He had me laughing so hard that I actually had to watch the tape to make sure I hadn't missed a joke. Could he have gotten more votes if he'd picked a "safer", less controversial topic? Probably. Do I have more respect for him because he took a chance? Absolutely.

Dat: Through this show, I've thought that Dat's sets on stage have been very funny. If I had one complaint it would be that I now know his mother's voice better than I know my own. I thought last Tuesday was Dat's weakest performance of the series. I laughed some, but not as hard as I had before. I thought a couple jokes had promise, but his writing just wasn't quite there. For example - tell me your mom mistook the sprinklers in your yard or in the park for landmines; I'm almost forty and I've never heard of a sprinkler on the floor in a supermarket. That made no sense at all. I think Dat has a ton of energy and charisma on stage, but that performance didn't impress me.

Tess: I think the five minute format really hurt Tess, and having spoken to her last Friday, I think she agrees. She actually looked up at the clock and said to herself something like "Forty seconds; I can't finish this joke." Her style isn't rapid-fire humor - it's more building a series of jokes around a common premise - last week it was stripping. Despite some stumbles (and every comic had at least one stumbe last week), she made me laugh a lot. She's the only comic that my wife was excited I was interviewing; my wife thinks Tess is hilarious.

Rich: I thought Rich got off to a slow start last week, but by the time he hit the jokes about the women he dates and his evil daughter, I was laughing hard. I'd love to see Rich perform live; I think the censors on network television inhibit us from really seeing Rich at his best.

Cory: Unlike a lot of people here, I wasn't surprised by Cory's performance last week; I've always thought she was pretty funny. Maybe it's because her humor hit a chord with me. While I don't have teenage kids yet, her stories about her daughter remind me a great deal of conversations I had with my parents when I was a teen. And if a comic connects with something you're familiar with, you think they're funny. Perhaps that's why I laughed so hard at Ralphie's bit; I spent six years in Iran as a child, and for four years I lived within 50 miles of the Iraqi border - I have a different point of reference on the war than most people, and I have little tolerance of spoiled protesters like he railed against.

Who will win? I don't know. Honestly I think a large portion of the series was edited to make America fall in love with Dat. I've watched a lot of reality TV, and I've never seen more heavy-handed, biased editing. I don't think that Dat is undeserving of the win, but I think based only on last week's performances he is. If I had to base my opinion solely on last week, I'd vote for Ralphie - which I did. I thought Rich, Tess, and Cory were a notch lower, and Dat's performance last week was the least impressive of the lot. Frankly, I don't think we saw the best out of any of them. I think we'd have been better served if last week had been a two hour show and each comic had been given at least ten minutes. And I think they'd almost all agree with me. If Dat doesn't win, I think it'll be a classic case of the old "Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory", because going into last week, I think he was the favorite. Sort of like the Rams losing to the Patriots in the Superbowl a few years back, except in this case, Dat's opponents actually have talent. (Yes, I'm a bitter Rams fan. )

BTW, if anni reads this; you aren't set up for PM or email so I couldn't answer you directly. Your question will be answered in the Sean Kent interview.
    Last edited by Wayner; 08-05-2003 at 02:29 PM.

FORT Fogey
    Wow Wayner, I think you're a great interviewer and I like your keen observation skills, but your assessment of Dat as funny is still puzzling to me. Somewhere I read where someone said he talked too fast on Tuesday's final, but IMO, that was part of the problem with all of his sets - I couldn't understand half of what he was saying. And the half that I could understand sounded like they could have come from any ethnic comedian.

I loved Rich's quote from his daughter upon leaving the restaurant when encouraged to thank him - "for FEEDING US??!!!??" Precious! Had me

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Melsevene
    Wow Wayner, I think you're a great interviewer and I like your keen observation skills, but your assessment of Dat as funny is still puzzling to me. Somewhere I read where someone said he talked too fast on Tuesday's final, but IMO, that was part of the problem with all of his sets - I couldn't understand half of what he was saying. And the half that I could understand sounded like they could have come from any ethnic comedian.

I loved Rich's quote from his daughter upon leaving the restaurant when encouraged to thank him - "for FEEDING US??!!!??" Precious! Had me

Yeah, that Rich line was perfectly delivered.

As for Dat, call me nutty (I've been called worse), but the fact that two separate audiences found him funnier than Dave Mordal or Geoff Brown tells me that I'm not alone. Do I think he has a huge collection of material? No. But as I said, I think he has great energy and charisma on stage, and think those two audiences thought so, too.

BTW, thanks for the compliments!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    Yeah, that Rich line was perfectly delivered.

As for Dat, call me nutty (I've been called worse), but the fact that two separate audiences found him funnier than Dave Mordal or Geoff Brown tells me that I'm not alone. Do I think he has a huge collection of material? No. But as I said, I think he has great energy and charisma on stage, and think those two audiences thought so, too.

BTW, thanks for the compliments!
    I'm still having a hard time believing the majority of any audience found Dat funnier than Dave.

And you're welcome - all of the compliments you receive are so well deserved!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567