+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Episode Nine: Well, That Was Disappointing

Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    You're from Baltimore; all my Democratic relatives are from Beltsville, so I figured I might lose you.

But if I was going to praise Ralphie for being gutsy, I figured I had walk the walk.
    Nah, it's cool, you don't know how many friends I have that are Republicans. It's good for debate, but around election time it can be tough to stay friends, especially this year, a Republican Governor was elected

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by zapata
    This audience was giving them standing ovations before they even started their sets, so it seems this was more of a "fan" crowd than a regular one.
    The number of standing ovations really watered down the idea of a standing ovation

FORT Newbie

Gotta agree with Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    I didn't know how you would be able to recap last night show,but you did it! Excellent recap! Like some other here have said, your recap was funnier than the show.

Wayner, I do agree with you that it took guts for Ralphie to come out with new material, and gutsy at that. Kudos to him, as I've mentioned before in the Spoiler thread, but that's not reason enough for me to think he was the best. There were 2 other comics that made me laugh more than Ralphie, and his political views had nothing to do with that.
    Ralphie may have been edgy and had new material; unfortunately, it really wasn't FUNNY, IMO. He certainly had a lot of energy (read: yelled a lot) but I didn't laugh out loud once. A very disappointing show, for pretty much all the comics. I was surprised that I actually liked Cory's set, tho; she was better than I expected. All in all, the finale was a big letdown. Of course, this is just my opinon...

Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    Genius? Can someone call my wife? I keep telling her this and she doesn't believe me.
    i know, my wife does the same thing.... it might be a wife thing to keep us husbands from getting a huge ego.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    and his political views had nothing to do with that.
    I was always taught 'Don't mess with Texas', and assumed it applied to Gov. Bush too.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by eltorro
    The number of standing ovations really watered down the idea of a standing ovation
    I agree. I seriously think one of the comics should have mentioned the way they got an ovation just for walking on stage. I was thinking, "Wow... Five hundred people in one room, and they're all easy."

I'm sure they'd be quick enough to come up with something.

Well, we did have that spoiler recap from someone who was AT the taping (sorry, I forgot who). They mentioned a lot of time being spent on taping "applause shots" and "audience shots." To me, this means TPTB at NBC wanted the ability to mislead us in couch-land as to the live audience's reactions. Except for shots where we could see the audience AND the comic in question, there's no way of knowing if the reactions seen on tv corresponded to reality. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by GooFiO
    I agree. I seriously think one of the comics should have mentioned the way they got an ovation just for walking on stage. I was thinking, "Wow... Five hundred people in one room, and they're all easy."

I'm sure they'd be quick enough to come up with something.
    ralphie did say "wow. a standing ovation for a fat man walking." it was just a warm crowd appreciating all of the comics for coming to entertain us. and goofio, i can't speak for the other audience members, but the two women sitting in front of me seemed easy. at least that is the message they kept trying to convey to rich vos during commercial breaks.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jonvoightscar
    ralphie did say "wow. a standing ovation for a fat man walking." it was just a warm crowd appreciating all of the comics for coming to entertain us. and goofio, i can't speak for the other audience members, but the two women sitting in front of me seemed easy. at least that is the message they kept trying to convey to rich vos during commercial breaks.
    I must have missed that line... I'm an idiot.

That kind of throws off my entire point of view... Wonder what else I missed... Oh well, it's a good thing I didn't vote.
    Last edited by GooFiO; 07-30-2003 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GooFiO
    I must have missed that line... I'm an idiot.

That kind of throws off my entire point of view... Wonder what else I missed... Oh well, it's a good thing I didn't vote.
    You still have time to...
    Missin Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast