+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Reality Show ballot stuffing: fair, unfair or just plain unavoidable?

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    People can use more than one email address. I used 14, old and new.

Yes, cali... but did it work on LCS? One vote, one person is best in my opinion, but how the heck do you actualy enforce it?

Quote Originally Posted by CashMoneySoviet
    People can use more than one email address. I used 14, old and new.
    LOl I HAVE about 14 email addresses.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

If you can stuff ballots in elections you can do on this.... unavoidable.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

I love the limited calls idea, as I would like to see AI adopt this policy. I think that ballot box stuffing can work against the winner. Say you love Dat, so you vote as many times as you can and he wins. Now, when he comes to your town are you going to see him for every performance, and buy several copies of any CDs or DVDs he puts out, and fill your wardrobe with Dat merchandise? (dvm, I know your answer, I'm talking about the average fan ) Probably not. This over-assumes his popularity and makes him look bad in the end. You can compare it to the Ruben/Clay voting wars. Clay is outselling Ruben, yet Ruben fans were more vigilant with their dialing fingers (an assumption, but either way he got more votes and won). My point is, unlimited voting does not give an accurate portrayal of the winner's popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by carrera
    I love the limited calls idea, as I would like to see AI adopt this policy. I think that ballot box stuffing can work against the winner. Say you love Dat, so you vote as many times as you can and he wins. Now, when he comes to your town are you going to see him for every performance, and buy several copies of any CDs or DVDs he puts out, and fill your wardrobe with Dat merchandise? (dvm, I know your answer, I'm talking about the average fan ) Probably not. This over-assumes his popularity and makes him look bad in the end. You can compare it to the Ruben/Clay voting wars. Clay is outselling Ruben, yet Ruben fans were more vigilant with their dialing fingers (an assumption, but either way he got more votes and won). My point is, unlimited voting does not give an accurate portrayal of the winner's popularity.
    Ok good point.

I guess this goes out to everyone. What would be the best way to do a popularity vote?

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    One person, one vote One person, three votes. Same end result. Though why people are splitting their votes is beyond me.

Put me down for a big on what Cali said.

BTW, I'll add that perhaps the reason that NBC didn't limit it to one vote per phone is so different people in a house could vote for different comics. And also so the vote totals would look huge; let's say 8 million people are watching this show. I'm guessing there will be at least 16 million votes announced next week.

FORT Newbie
    You guys do realize that NBC has the right to delete any votes that are bogus right?

While limiting votes is good, I do like that we can vote 3 times and split them. For my same reasons above, you might equally like 3 comedians, or give 2 to a person you'd pay to see and 1 to a person who you might only catch on TV. I don't know, it's not perfect, but it's still better than being able to cast 100s of votes.

I'm not a fan of going from computer to computer to log votes, though I thought they limited by email address, so unless you have a ton of email addresses, those extras will get thrown out. If you have a ton of email addresses, well, that just means more horny teens want you and you can get tons of free credit reports.

edited: oh yeah, the different people in different households thing, too. You are so smart! s-m-r-t!

It was unfair to limit us to six votes. If I have no life i should be able to vote as many times as i want. It is able to be unlimited votes until an automated dialer calls nonstop

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast