Bitmap THE SEARCH FOR THE FUNNIEST PERSON IN AMERICA

Current as of 07/30/03

RALPHIE MAY 2/1 Houston, TX
    TESS DRAKE 5/2 Sandusky, OH
    RICH VOS 4/1 Plainfield, NJ
    CORY KAHANEY 8/1 Manhattan, NY
    DAT PHAN 12/1

** Odds are for entertainment purposes only. No wagering allowed
    Odds created by John Avello, Director of Race & Sports Operations Bally's/Paris Las Vegas

Here are the new odds. Ralphie is slated to win- Rich comes from last place to third- and Dat falls back to last. Tess drops from 1st place to 2nd- looks like Ralphie may take it but I wouldn't be that surprised if a dark horse on this one wins- even though I agree that Ralphie will most likely win.

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    I like those odds!

I'd put a few bucks on Dat at 12-1, his set was weak but damn, I like 12-1 on him, he could win ... too bad no wagering.

FORT Newbie
    The fact Tess is 2nd favorite to win shows you just how bogus these odds are.

Say, "National Title" monteplace74's Avatar

Odds Smodds...

Let's hope those odds are correct and the outcome is already set...since all that matters is the first place contestant...

Tess being supposedly in second is idiocy, she would be at the bottom if I were making the odds

1) Ralphie
    2) Rick
    3) Cory
    4) Dat
    5) Tess

CHEAPER GAS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zapata
    Current as of 07/30/03

RALPHIE MAY 2/1 Houston, TX
    TESS DRAKE 5/2 Sandusky, OH
    RICH VOS 4/1 Plainfield, NJ
    CORY KAHANEY 8/1 Manhattan, NY
    DAT PHAN 12/1
    Wow, these odds are wack-a-doodle. Ralphie's odds make sense, as much for his "insider" status as his performance. Controvertial or not, he got noticed. Tess' odds make no sense--she should be the 12/1. Even assuming we "just didn't get it", she wasn't in command of herself. Vos' odds I can't comment on, because I seem to be in a minority in not liking his set and recognize that, thus being unable to properly project enough with him to guess how others might be seeing him. Cory's odds make an odd sense if you take her lame past into account and the drag factor, and the truth is that as much as we talk about perceptions and racism with obvious potential targets like Dat or Tess, "pushy female New Yorker" is actually NOT perceived well by middle America. Dat's odds are also a bit high--I don't think the rest of America will necessarily be as tired of him or disenchanted as many of us.

I don't think Tess being 2nd means it has no value. If you remember, she was first the week before. I think they may have polled people and Tess came out as a big favorite. When the act was not as strong- but certainly not terrible, they still assume the same people who really liked her may still vote for her, but they realize that her act not being a home run lessens her odds considerably. It's not like she was HORRIBLE. She was fine- and people who say she was their favorite may still vote for her. She had a big jump into it, there's no reason to believe all who really liked her are going to jump ship- I mean, her boat might not have been as fast as we thought, but it wasn't the Titanic either.

Quote Originally Posted by zapata
    She had a big jump into it, there's no reason to believe all who really liked her are going to jump ship- I mean, her boat might not have been as fast as we thought, but it wasn't the Titanic either.
    Insert Tess and/or Ralphie type "fat joke" about the lifeboat sinking when they jump into it...

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    "pushy female New Yorker" is actually NOT perceived well by middle America.
    Really? I would tell "middle America" where to go, but I am afraid I would get banned.

Quote Originally Posted by NYGal
    Really? I would tell "middle America" where to go, but I am afraid I would get banned.
    Unfortunately I think its true. I've known people on and off over the years from that region (well let's be fair, "middle America" is pretty damned vague--I admit it), and while they are frequently down on NYers (except briefly after 9/11), they seem especially hard on the women. I didn't say it makes any sense. And remember, these things are ALWAYS generalities, and thus kind of stupid just for that.

Then again, many people may be under the impression that "Sex & The City" is real. {ducking protest from SATC fans, in service of my joke...}
    Last edited by Krom; 07-30-2003 at 04:40 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast