+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LCS commercial... featuring the amazin' Dat Phan!

LCS commercial... featuring the amazin' Dat Phan!

Okay, topic good for a day at most. I'm bringing it up because of the endless stream of LCS commercials airing on NBC tonight.

Does Dat's prominent place in the latest LCS commercial mean anything, either positive or negative? Does it help him or hurt him? Does it say ANYTHING meaningful about NBC's position or who they want to win (note that it could be interpreted AGAINST Dat as easily as for him)

I think this may have been briefly covered elsewhere, but I don't know if it was in detail.

Note: This is not a Dat attack. Its a fact that Dat is prominent in the commercial. I'm curious if anything is behind it and willing to listen to any theory, positive or negative. Hopefully we can avoid retreading stuff from other topics, except where they've directly touched the topic of this commercial and/or NBC's motivations or positioning.
    Last edited by Krom; 07-28-2003 at 11:33 PM.

You know overexposure can be a bad thing sometimes. Still, GO DAT!! lol

BTW, Krom, I love your avatar!! It's great... well you know the rest

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    I just noticed that it was Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. I haven't been watching NBC at all tonight, just Cartoon Network and Comedy Central.

You know... seeing the commercial for the tenth time tonight, I noticed that not only do clips of Dat bookend the commercial, but he's ALSO in the montage of comics they flash. So he's got MORE than three times the exposure, for his good or ill (clips counting extra).

re: Avatar - Woof! (Wait... Triumph never goes woof, never mind...). Thanks folks.

Quote Originally Posted by CashMoneySoviet
    I just noticed that it was Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. I haven't been watching NBC at all tonight, just Cartoon Network and Comedy Central.
    Ahhh, that is one healthy dose of TV there.

I don't think it means they want him to win. I think it means they want ratings. The last three shows have been focused on the dat/coalition thing - so NBC knows this is what people are talking about around the so-called "water cooler" when the show is being discussed.- so featuring him is a way to get people to tune in. I don't think they care that much about who will win to try to influence THAT- they just want people to tune in. A development deal doesn't mean that much, really, many many people have them- a special on Comedy Central- they'll put anyone on- so it's not that important- if they like someone else and want to do a show with them, they will- another comic winning will not prevent that.

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    And here comes Adult Swim

As to the TV commercial thing, NBC doesn't really care who wins, wait they do, because they want the winner to have a succesful sitcom. Hmmm, this has me thinking "Everybody Loves Dat"

zapata, good argument--the part about utilizing the water-cooler talk target makes sense. That said, that doesn't exclude the possibility that someone who becomes either notorious or suddenly loved doesn't automatically summon dollar signs in network execs eyes--thus providing further motivation for putting them front and center.

Or not. Some network exec in some office somewhere may have a strategy based around one of the others pre-planned and wants to over-expose Dat.

Or exactly what you said to the inch and no further.

Or none of those.

I think NBC is doing this on purpose because they want him to win, I honestly think NBC favors Dat. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Dat and he is really hilarious on stage and I've have been rooting for him since the beginning, but I really think NBC is beeing kind of unfair to the others. Still, though, GO DAT!

Also, in the preview they show the part of Dat's which act which was obivously the funniest- when he comes out speaking with an asian accent then says he's just kidding. They even let him get to the punchline of the joke, in the preview! I really think they favor him, lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast