+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The good that came out of LCS...

The good that came out of LCS...

What good has come out of LCS?

For me, I have discovered a host of new comedians out there that I might never have heard of otherwise, and not just those in the final ten. Rich Franchese, Lang Parker, Martha Kelley - names I will look out for.

I have been to see live stand-up in my area three times since the show started, which I might not have done otherwise. So I've seen other people outside of the show who I'm eager to check out again.

I've started thinking about doing open mike nights. I've been wanting to do this for a long time and have been holding back for a plethora of reasons, but I'm finally actually writing down material. Go me.

And I found the FORT board, where people are having seemingly endless debate not only on the merits of the show but on comedy in general.

So if Jay Mohr's intent was to put stand-up under the spotlight and make it accessible to the American mainstream, he's done it. Essentially it doesn't matter who wins; the ultimate winner is stand-up itself.
    Last edited by LaughAtlantis; 07-28-2003 at 12:30 PM.
    Joy
    Blogging away in my LaughAtlantis world...

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    Well, I got a lot more into stand-up, I wasn't that into it before the show.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughAtlantis
    What good has come out of LCS?

For me, I have discovered a host of new comedians out there that I might never have heard of otherwise, and not just those in the final ten. Rich Franchese, Lang Parker, Martha Kelley - names I will look out for.

I have been to see live stand-up in my area three times since the show started, which I might not have done otherwise. So I've seen other people outside of the show who I'm eager to check out again.

I've started thinking about doing open mike nights. I've been wanting to do this for a long time and have been holding back for a plethora of reasons, but I'm finally actually writing down material. Go me.

And I found the FORT board, where people are having seemingly endless debate not only on the merits of the show but on comedy in general.

So if Jay Mohr's intent was to put stand-up under the spotlight and make it accessible to the American mainstream, he's done it. Essentially it doesn't matter who wins; the ultimate winner is stand-up itself.
    I've been thinking much in the same way. Living life more, having more fun (its hard to have fun after you get married, but you gotta try.

I'm considering an open mike night....

also looking to get my Motor cycle licence and a bike.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    its hard to have fun after you get married, but you gotta try.
    Yikes. I'm supposed to get married in nine weeks, but if that's the case, maybe I should I just rethink the whole thing.
    Joy
    Blogging away in my LaughAtlantis world...

Yikes. I'm supposed to get married in nine weeks, but if that's the case, maybe I should I just rethink the whole thing.
    Its an obstacle, not a restriction.
    I highly reccomend marriage. Its far better than a mental ward.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    Back to the original question: The good that came out of LCS-- I have never been so entertained at work. You guys at this forum are a bunch of hysterical cats. A lot of good laughs and intelligent discussion came out of all this!

Quote Originally Posted by dvm
    Back to the original question: The good that came out of LCS-- I have never been so entertained at work. You guys at this forum are a bunch of hysterical cats. A lot of good laughs and intelligent discussion came out of all this!
    certainly beats the alternative...... Like working in this asylum......

Yes, I think Jay Mohr's point was to put stand-up in the spotlight and he has. He did a good thing. Also, he could have featured himself alot more than he did, but he didn't, and I think he should be applauded for that.

Yeah, that's what he said his goal was, and I think he definitely
    succeeded!

Good luck at open mike night!!

I also wanted to say, that I work at a really boring, drone type corporate job. And LCS and the FORT have made the days go a little faster, so I can get back to my REAL life a little quicker.
    Plus just reading what some of you people say, I have to say this group has some of the quickest, razor sharp wit I think I have ever seen.
    In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
    Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast