+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bob Hope Dies at 100

Bob Hope Dies at 100

I'm sure that everybody knows that we have lost not just a great comedian but a great American. Bob Hope died late last night of complications of pneaumonia. He truly was an original and blazed a trail for many of the great comedians of our time.

I just wanted us all to take a moment to remember Bob Hope. The original Last Comic Standing.
    In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
    Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    Its sad, only 2 months after his birthday. Two great comics have passed away fairly recently, lest we forget Buddy Hacket?

Godspeed, Bob.

Mr. Hope,
    Thanks for the memories.

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    Thanks for the century of laughs. Wow, a century. That is a long time...

Bob Hope was a great comedian. He was a huge box office star in the forties- sort of like a Jim Carey today- but people seem to remember him from his NBC specials. Woody Allen credited Bob with part of the inspiration for his act. And if you look at Hope movies, you can see Woody is doing alot of Hope's mannerisms- the "coward" jokes, the off-beat punchlines. Some of Hope's 40's movies are really great and funny- he was a legend.

Bob hope. yeah i heard about this on my way to work, sad sad. So much for keeping hope alive. OK bad joke, but you know, I think he would appreciate it if his passing left a bit of mirth in people's heart.

Thanks Bob.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

This is sad news. He did so much to cheer the troops and help out some charities. You'll be missed, Bob!

His books are funny, too. In one of them that I thought was so funny, he was talking about going to see one of his movies and he said, "As soon as I came on, there was applause and whistling and cheers until the movie ended. What could I do.... I couldn't help myself."

I have a friend who lived down the street from him and he said every Halloween, Bob himself would put his autographed photo and his movies in kid's trick-or-treat bag. Seems like a funny guy.

Quote Originally Posted by zapata
    His books are funny, too. In one of them that I thought was so funny, he was talking about going to see one of his movies and he said, "As soon as I came on, there was applause and whistling and cheers until the movie ended. What could I do.... I couldn't help myself."

I have a friend who lived down the street from him and he said every Halloween, Bob himself would put his autographed photo and his movies in kid's trick-or-treat bag. Seems like a funny guy.
    To use his own humor: is that supposed to be a trick or a treat...
    He was funny that way, with his self depricating wit.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast