+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bob Hope Dies at 100

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Bob was terrific. A great entertainer, and a true patriot. He's gone but will never be forgotten.

NBC Now. Turn it on.

EDIT - Later - NBC pushed back all normal programming for 2 minutes and ran a mini-tribute at the prime 8PM hour. As I send this its over. Bob singing "Thanks for the memories" over various clips.

EDIT More - Instead of the normal crappy Monday sitcoms, CBS is showing a news special on Bob Hope. Way to trump his own network, eh? Way to go CBS. NBC wasn't willing to pre-empt Fear Factor.
    Last edited by Krom; 07-28-2003 at 08:05 PM.

Okay, it was really good 30 minutes for something CBS News obviously had toss together so quickly, especially vs. the 2 minutes NBC devoted (although I'm dead sure a "Hope" themed Dateline NBC is being prepared even as I type this). They even got recluse Woody Allen to give a quote (not a real winner -- "I can't imagine a world without a Bob Hope"), although they didn't get his face on camera.

I've got your hood! Allerleirauh's Avatar
    NBC wasn't willing to pre-empt Fear Factor.
    That's sad. I can't think of a show more deserving of pre-emption.
    "A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a f**ckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on." --- Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    Okay, it was really good 30 minutes for something CBS News obviously had toss together so quickly, especially vs. the 2 minutes NBC devoted (although I'm dead sure a "Hope" themed Dateline NBC is being prepared even as I type this). They even got recluse Woody Allen to give a quote (not a real winner -- "I can't imagine a world without a Bob Hope"), although they didn't get his face on camera.
    I'm a huge Woody fan and I was disappointed in that quote. More proof the genius is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    NBC Now. Turn it on.

EDIT - Later - NBC pushed back all normal programming for 2 minutes and ran a mini-tribute at the prime 8PM hour. As I send this its over. Bob singing "Thanks for the memories" over various clips.

EDIT More - Instead of the normal crappy Monday sitcoms, CBS is showing a news special on Bob Hope. Way to trump his own network, eh? Way to go CBS. NBC wasn't willing to pre-empt Fear Factor.
    They weren't willing to pre-empt a Fear factor Repeat, (even more insulting).

I think the answer is to consolidate the media even further. Who is with me?
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by zapata
    I'm a huge Woody fan and I was disappointed in that quote. More proof the genius is gone.
    Yeah, that took around a single neuron firing to come up with. Even if it wasn't a moment for a "haha" comment, he could have gone deeper. Then again, maybe that was a part of a larger statement, I'm willing to give him that, and it might not suck as much if it were true.

For example, The Miami Herald today reported that in 1993, Woody said this about Bob:
    "But if you look at `Monsieur Beaucaire,' for instance, he's very, very funny," Allen declared in the 1993 book "Woody Allen on Woody Allen." "There are a number of films where he's allowed to show his brilliant gift of delivery, his brilliant gift of comic speech. He had a very breezy attitude, he was a great man with a quip. Those one-liners and witticisms they're just like air, he does them so lightly."
    Now THAT's a tribute.

EDIT:
    Okay, I just checked: Here, Allen appears to repeat some of that verbage. The article implies this is from today.

[QUOTE=Krom]Yeah, that took around a single neuron firing to come up with. Even if it wasn't a moment for a "haha" comment, he could have gone deeper. Then again, maybe that was a part of a larger statement, I'm willing to give him that, and it might not suck as much if it were true.

For example, The Miami Herlad today reported that in 1993, Woody said this about Bob:

"But if you look at `Monsieur Beaucaire,' for instance, he's very, very funny," Allen declared in the 1993 book "Woody Allen on Woody Allen." "There are a number of films where he's allowed to show his brilliant gift of delivery, his brilliant gift of comic speech. He had a very breezy attitude, he was a great man with a quip. Those one-liners and witticisms they're just like air, he does them so lightly."

Now THAT's a tribute.

----------------

Allen's "Love and Death" is a loose remake of 'Monsieur Beaucaire'- several bits of that movie ended up in "Love and Death' although it is rarely credited and the plot also loosely follows it- 'Monsieur Beaucaire' is a great funny movie- you can see where the Allen persona grew from the standard "Hope" character- it's just that they both look so different, you don't realize they are doing the same thing- the cowardly nebbish nervous pratfaller who thinks he's a great lover but never gets the girl. Not to take anything from Woody- he was a comic genius- but he did take some inspiration from Hope who he always credits-

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    Today, ESPN's Sportscenter did a Bob Hope tribute. What he did for the world of sports. He funded the 1950 L.A. Rams and made golf very popupal...

Wow... He was 4 months old during the 1st world series. thats just crazy.

FORT Newbie
    Lymond delurking to say:

We've been talking a lot about reused material on this forum. My father was an airforce pilot and was attached to Bob Hope's USO tour for a year. He says that Hope did the exact same show on every single base. He knew all of the punch lines by heart. BUT he laughed every single night. Hope was just that good. He'll be missed.

OK going back into hiding again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast