+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Comics on the campaign trail

  1. #1
    Premium Member sheela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    spoiler-free zone
    Posts
    1,772

    Comics on the campaign trail

    This is just my opinion. Please don't hurt me. You're invited, however, to show me the error of my ways. (My husband falls for that one every time .)

    The comics are aware that they need the audience vote and are doing what they can to get it. I can't fault them for that. They had to do more than just be funny on stage, and I think they did.

    Dat: He made his campaign speech to the voting public under the guise of talking to Cory. I think it was a good idea that could have been executed better.

    The thing is, the comics know that only a portion of what they say will be seen on TV. So my guess is that Dat gave variations of his campaign speech several times in order to ensure that it made the cut. That may be what pissed everyone off.

    Vos and Dave: They put on several shows for our benefit. Heck, they certainly convinced me that they're funny. I'll pay the cover charge to see them live every chance I get.

    They also tried to sway our vote by pointing out that Dat wasn't funny. It may have sounded mean but it was a valid attempt to counteract Dat's campaign. And the fact is that if they had not inadvertently given Dat an opportunity to prove that he was funny in the head-to-heads, we may have dismissed Dat because we were repeatedly told that he wasn't funny.

    Ralphie: He was funny in the house. When he left the house, he took to posting his way into our hearts. I'm a cynic. I might have taken his posts at face value if he didn't have a horse in this race. As it is, I see Ralphie's posts as self-serving. But also as a legitimate and effective effort to win.

    Cory: She said during the sitcom-pitch-challenge that she is aware that people like people who are "nice." See how nice she is? She helped Dat with his sitcom pitch. She asked the Don to be less hurtful. She was part of the coalition while simultaneously conveying that her heart was in the right place.

    Tess: She played ball with the coalition and got to the final 5. At this point, I don't know what she's so mad at Dat about. Maybe we will find out what horrible thing Dat did to annoy her. Or not. She appears to have stayed in her Diva character throughout. There were probably softer moments that weren't aired.

    I wonder if the other comics also made sales-pitches to the voting public that we weren't shown. IMHO, all the comics have every right to court our votes in any way that they see fit. And as with many political candidates, they sometimes learn too late that negative campaigns can backfire.

    Apart from the quality of humor, what more could a comic do to sway your vote?

  2. #2
    FORT Fan zapata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by sheela

    Dat: He made his campaign speech to the voting public under the guise of talking to Cory. I think it was a good idea that could have been executed better.

    The thing is, the comics know that only a portion of what they say will be seen on TV. So my guess is that Dat gave variations of his campaign speech several times in order to ensure that it made the cut. That may be what pissed everyone off.

    Ralphie: He was funny in the house. When he left the house, he took to posting his way into our hearts. I'm a cynic. I might have taken his posts at face value if he didn't have a horse in this race. As it is, I see Ralphie's posts as self-serving. But also as a legitimate and effective effort to win.
    Dat's speech to the camera bothered me as well. But it also could have started as a reaction to people "being out to get him" and later morphed into a more calculated ploy he hit upon- I too though it a bit phony but at that point with everyone out for his "blood," it's understandable he would try to hit back. I thnk he saw himself trapped in a corner and this may be one way out.

    I don't think Ralphie's posts had any thought of it beings a means to give him an "edge" or "win." I think he knows there are not enough people reading them to actually swing a vote one way or another- I'm assuming millions will be voting- I think he just wanted to "express" himself- I think he feels a thankfulness to the hardcore "fans" and wanted to communicate- I don't think any of what he said was calculated, just emotional, and as emotional things when you say to friends, you may slant some things a certain way, not because you are calculating, just because you're "human." I think he's genuine.

  3. #3
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    42
    Dat's gonna win this thing (much to my own dismay) simply because he's A) getting a lot of airtime and B) That air-time is never negative (he's always the nice guy getting picked on, not the other way around). So then if he's remotely funny (which I'll admit he is) then he's got the votes in the bag.

  4. #4
    I have a dream too! Sepialove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    State of Serenity
    Age
    51
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by EECunning
    Dat's gonna win this thing (much to my own dismay) simply because he's:
    A) getting a lot of airtime and B) That air-time is never negative (he's always the nice guy getting picked on, not the other way around). So then if he's remotely funny (which I'll admit he is) then he's got the votes in the bag.
    I noticed that Dat is the ONLY comic whose act is featured PROMINENTLY in the commercials here for the Vegas episode. Everyone else just gets a visual.
    Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God

  5. #5
    Fool... but no pity. Krom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    21,565
    Well, as far as Ralphie's posts here goes... any effect they have positive or negative is really just a drop in the bucket in terms of everyone who WILL vote. Even the best website isn't really reaching that many people.

  6. #6
    Don't Panic senrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Sepialove
    I noticed that Dat is the ONLY comic whose act is featured PROMINENTLY in the commercials here for the Vegas episode. Everyone else just gets a visual.
    never foget the value of a liked person to sell something
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

  7. #7
    Don't Panic senrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    Well, as far as Ralphie's posts here goes... any effect they have positive or negative is really just a drop in the bucket in terms of everyone who WILL vote. Even the best website isn't really reaching that many people.
    a drop in the bucket or a poop in the bucket?
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

  8. #8
    Lost Person ConfusedONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Whittier, CA and North Chicago, IL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    667
    Call me naive, but I still honestly believe that the majority of the audience will still vote on merit rather than what they saw. All bets are off when the Vegas show airs in my opinion. At least I hope...

  9. #9
    dvm
    dvm is offline
    Get off the hate train.
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3,017
    Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    never foget the value of a liked person to sell something
    .... unless you were being sarcastic :mad:

  10. #10
    FORT Fan carrera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    375
    Liked person? I'd say Dat's strategy has backfired with many people here and several I have talked to.

    We could also argue the comics' recent standup dates as part of their strategy. Did all of them travel as much as they have been before the show aired? This could be another way to sway the audience. None have come here (Chicago) that I can recall, but if I had seen Vos or Cory, for example, live, he or she would have an edge with me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.