+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Point of It All

The Point of It All

I saw someone post in another thread about "the point" of this show. Ever since I read that it has honestly been bugging the heck out of me! What exactly IS the point of this show? I mean, there is an obvious point but did they really hit it?

Ralphie posted that he believes Dat Phan will take it all, his reasoning is that the editing made the rest of the house look like a bunch of those old men you see rocking in front of North Carolina barber shops. Talking about the good old days and these whipper snappers have no clue! This is so TRUE! Is it really fair to the rest of the house that in the end America will be judging them not ONLY on their stand up sets, but how they interacted in the house? (Yes Dat, you needed to be funny IN the house too).

I mean, these comedians were picked from hundreds,thousands? By PROFESSIONAL comedians. They talked about originality in the sets and how they flowed and made the jokes have points, etc. Well heck, I don't judge comedy that way, I just know what I think is funny! So why should I get to judge who is the funniest? In my opinion, it would be like asking America to pick the winners of the Amazing Race after all that sweat and hard work they did, only THEY know who worked the hardest, I know who cursed the most and who cracked the most jokes.

In the end, I think the house should have been filmed like Big Brother with live feeds so we got the WHOLE picture...OR...I think that America should have only been allowed to see the stand up sets (ie American Idol). Then we could judge by ONLY the art form and not the rest of the crap.

I could be high on my morning coffee but this is the question that runs through my mind and in the end I don't think the winner will be the most creative, accomplished, BEST comedian there...I think the winner will be the underdog.

~Ginger

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    The point is to find the best non-famous comic in the US... I think...

Interesting post. Live feeds would have been sooooooooooo cool.

The point of the show is combine "American Idol" with "Survivor", add a bunch of comics, throw it at the wall and see if it sticks. I think the point is to entertain, and that it has, that it has.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerLVNV
    I saw someone post in another thread about "the point" of this show. Ever since I read that it has honestly been bugging the heck out of me! What exactly IS the point of this show? I mean, there is an obvious point but did they really hit it?

Ralphie posted that he believes Dat Phan will take it all, his reasoning is that the editing made the rest of the house look like a bunch of those old men you see rocking in front of North Carolina barber shops. Talking about the good old days and these whipper snappers have no clue! This is so TRUE! Is it really fair to the rest of the house that in the end America will be judging them not ONLY on their stand up sets, but how they interacted in the house? (Yes Dat, you needed to be funny IN the house too).

I mean, these comedians were picked from hundreds,thousands? By PROFESSIONAL comedians. They talked about originality in the sets and how they flowed and made the jokes have points, etc. Well heck, I don't judge comedy that way, I just know what I think is funny! So why should I get to judge who is the funniest? In my opinion, it would be like asking America to pick the winners of the Amazing Race after all that sweat and hard work they did, only THEY know who worked the hardest, I know who cursed the most and who cracked the most jokes.

In the end, I think the house should have been filmed like Big Brother with live feeds so we got the WHOLE picture...OR...I think that America should have only been allowed to see the stand up sets (ie American Idol). Then we could judge by ONLY the art form and not the rest of the crap.

I could be high on my morning coffee but this is the question that runs through my mind and in the end I don't think the winner will be the most creative, accomplished, BEST comedian there...I think the winner will be the underdog.

~Ginger

Ok I will try to break this down.
    The point of Television programming is to sell advertising time. Thats it: end of story.

Of course the programming must be compelling enough for people to watch, otherwise people will flip the channel. Hense, we have such a thing as neilsen ratings (a statistic (sadistic) sampling of people who tell the media what they are watching. More people watcha show, the more advertising pays.

Reality shows are big right now. You can get a big audience, and the networks dont have to pay very much for them. less money out means more profit for the network.

So then how do you create a Reality show that won't get you sued, won't sound lame, and won't be the same as everyone else. Simple. Go comedy.

and there you have it. the whole point of LCS.... Profit for NBC.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

blingbling
    Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    Ok I will try to break this down.
    The point of Television programming is to sell advertising time. Thats it: end of story.

Of course the programming must be compelling enough for people to watch, otherwise people will flip the channel. Hense, we have such a thing as neilsen ratings (a statistic (sadistic) sampling of people who tell the media what they are watching. More people watcha show, the more advertising pays.

Reality shows are big right now. You can get a big audience, and the networks dont have to pay very much for them. less money out means more profit for the network.

So then how do you create a Reality show that won't get you sued, won't sound lame, and won't be the same as everyone else. Simple. Go comedy.

and there you have it. the whole point of LCS.... Profit for NBC.
    NBC making TV shows in order to get high ratings? Those filthy bastards! :stupid

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling
    NBC making TV shows in order to get high ratings? Those filthy bastards! :stupid
    LOL never said it was bad. Just remembering perpective in all of this
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

I understand the whole realitybandwagon thing..but "my" point was that the whole contest part doesn't make sense to me.

But I'm quite sure I'm the only one analyzing this show to death so badly that I would even think to ask these questions..
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerLVNV
    I understand the whole realitybandwagon thing..but "my" point was that the whole contest part doesn't make sense to me.

But I'm quite sure I'm the only one analyzing this show to death so badly that I would even think to ask these questions..
    I've asked the very same questions, but really the answer is always the same.

fame, money, recognition.
    (for the contestants). I've already discussed what the network gets out of it.

as for the audience, I'm afraid that I can't answer that, as everyone gets out of things what they will.

Yes "making money" would cover the point of this for everyone. Don't try to put more to it. No "to inspire people". No "to bring us a new generation of comics". Those might be side-effects, but not the point. Even for the comics themselves, money is way up there (since career advancement is often money-driven, unless fame itself is the reward they want).

I'll bet the A.I. and Fame topics have had the same question.

+ Reply to Thread