+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Dat Phan/Margaret Cho connection.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by aerportman
    There have been a number of posts talking about how Dat Phan steals from Margaret Cho. I just wanted to start a thread about this, because i think its an interesting topic.
    I think high percentage of posts related to this topic, and the fierce nature to which this is debated, speaks to racism in and of itself.

How come there isn't a similar thread that asks, "The Rich Vos/Andrew Dice Clay connection"?

or one that asks, "The Dave Mordal/George Carlin connection"

or how about "the Ralphie May/Chris Farley connection"

why? because everyone's instinct is, "what!? they are so much different!" White people are allowed individuality whereas people of color have to fight harder to establish it.

It's the same reason middle aged white men in the midwest had no problem renting Ryder trucks after oklahoma city, but middle easterners were asked to step off planes in the interest of National Security.

Sorry for the political detour

Actually, there should be a Rich Vos/Jim Norton thread. I've pointed this out several times. Vos and Norton are "buds" and have very similar schtick, including the fact that Norton has a long running thing where he says "I stink" (or "you stink" about others) and Vos has taken a version of that with "I suck".

Or maybe just a forum "Comics:-separated at birth"
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    Or maybe just a forum "Comics:-separated at birth"
    I think they have "bandwidth theft" polices about posting off-site photos, so here are links...

Separated at birth: Rich Vos and Original Trek Klingon

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    I think they have "bandwidth theft" polices about posting off-site photos, so here are links...

Separated at birth: Rich Vos and Original Trek Klingon
    A thanks goes out to those that are bandwidth deprived.... Like I am when at home.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by skwadim
    Sorry for the political detour

YOU SHOULD BE!!!

I kid.

FORT Fogey

How about Dat?

Quote Originally Posted by Allerleirauh
    Nonetheless, Dat Phan DOES steal from other comedians, and while I find him funny at times, I think that if Eddie Pepitone and Martha Kelley had be chosen instead of Sean Kent and Tere Joyce, Dat Phan would have been one of the first, if not the first, voted off.
    In the interest of saving space, I did not put down your entire post although I thought that you addressed each issue very well, and made valid and succinct points.

Your last paragraph is the one that really says what I want to say. The comics living in the house with Dat Phan have lost respect for him because in varying degrees, their comedy is original and funny. It has nothing to do (in my mind anyway) with race. In fact last week when he was onstage during his challenge, he stole someone else's old joke and it had NOTHING to do with "Asian," "accents," "math," "race," blah blah blah! It's all about being funny AND original!

I really liked Eddie Pepitone!
    Last edited by CaliGirl; 07-28-2003 at 07:39 PM.

Hey, for those who want to hear Rich Vos and Jim Norton interact, this Jim Norton fansite seems to have a really long clip (downloadable as a MP3 file inside a ZIP file) of the two of them on the now defunct "Opie & Anthony Show". It's fairly vile by almost ANY standards, so caution is advised. Its the clip called "flip_a_coin", about the ninth clip down on that page. There's also another Vos/Norton bit there called "peepbooth_memories", which I haven't heard yet, but will probably listen to next. These are REALLY long clips so it may take awhile. Norton and the dumbass DeeJays tend to do more talking than Vos (at least on the one I've heard), so be aware of that.

EDIT - Okay, the peepbooth_memories clip is a bit more Vos-ish than the other clip. Still vile vile non-family friendly stuff.
    Last edited by Krom; 07-28-2003 at 08:18 PM.

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    Listen to some of the short clips on Vos' site. I especially like ADD and Politically Incorrect. Those are histerical live.

FORT Newbie
    dat and margaret cho have no connection. the slightest bit of connection i see is the mom thing. however, margaret cho uses her mom in her acts andthen follows up with lesbian/gay jokes. dat on the other hand uses his mom in his acts, andthen follows up with racism jokes. as you can see, the only connection is the mom bit. but can you blame dat for using his mom a lot? i mean.. who has he been spending life on the streets with for years? most of the threads here are also based on racism.. what do u expect them to do? make fun of black people? then that would be TRUE racism.. what both margaret and dat are doing, i dont consider racist.

+ Reply to Thread