+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Dat Phan/Margaret Cho connection.

Quote Originally Posted by CashMoneySoviet
    Pfft, Im too young to know that! Not fair, Senrik!
    How do you KNOW you are too young..... Excuses young CMS.... There is a such thing as the internet. Lots of information on that thing.... maybe someday someone will capture all that info and make it all available.

The reference has to do with her work, and the immediate reaction from political factions, the fact that she was young. that she was a woman in college, and that she was asian.

I heard her speak in college, boring speaker... but the proof of her mind is in her work.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

I've got your hood! Allerleirauh's Avatar
    1. Can you name an asian comic besides Dat Phan or Margaret Cho?

Bobby Lee, Zenjiro, Danny Bhoy, Rex Navarrete, Shazia Mirza, Shappi Khorsandi, Omid Djalili, Shabana Rehman, Raybon Khan, Henry Cho, Sody Singh Kahlon, Shelley Chopra, Tony Singh, Dr. Ken Jeong, Jokoy, David Capstick, Inder Manocha, Jeff Mirza, Paul Sinha, Tamayo Otsuki, Phil Nee, and I'm spent.

2. Can you tell the difference between Dat Phan's Vietnamese Mom accent and Margaret Cho's Korean Mom accent - or do you think of both of their accents being simply "asian" accents. "Asian" being the non-existent language that only exists in the minds of people who can't tell the difference

Dat Phan's Vietnamese Mom accent is fast and sharp, with a good command of the English language, whereas Margaret Cho's Korean Mom accent is slower, like that with someone with less of a mastery of English, but better pronounciation. Both are different than the really, really stereotyped Asian accent that replaces 'L' sounds with 'R' sounds and vice-versa.

3. If two people did Jewish Mom or Italian Mom accents in their act, would we be making the same comparison? (I'm just going to answer that with a big fat no, btw).

No. Those are two heritages that have stereotypes that the vast majority of the American population are familiar with.

Nonetheless, Dat Phan DOES steal from other comedians, and while I find him funny at times, I think that if Eddie Pepitone and Martha Kelley had be chosen instead of Sean Kent and Tere Joyce, Dat Phan would have been one of the first, if not the first, voted off.

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    Born in 1959 in Athens, Ohio, Maya Lin catapulted into the public eye when, as a senior at Yale University, she submitted the winning design in a national competition for a Vietnam Veterans Memorial to be built in Washington, D.C. She was trained as an artist and architect, and her sculptures, parks, monuments, and architectural projects are linked by her ideal of making a place for individuals within the landscape. Lin, a Chinese-American, came from a cultivated and artistic home. Her father was the dean of fine arts at Ohio University; her mother is a professor of literature at Ohio University. “As the child of immigrants you have that sense of, Where are you? Where’s home? And trying to make a home,” remarks Lin. She draws inspiration for her sculpture and architecture from culturally diverse sources, including Japanese gardens, Hopewell Indian earthen mounds, and works by American earthworks artists of the 1960s and 1970s. Her most recognizable work, the "Vietnam Veterans Memorial," allows the names of those lost in combat to speak for themselves, connecting a tragedy that happened on foreign soil with the soil of America’s capital city, where it stands. Lin lives in New York and Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by CashMoneySoviet
    Born in 1959 in Athens, Ohio, Maya Lin catapulted into the public eye when, as a senior at Yale University, she submitted the winning design in a national competition for a Vietnam Veterans Memorial to be built in Washington, D.C. She was trained as an artist and architect, and her sculptures, parks, monuments, and architectural projects are linked by her ideal of making a place for individuals within the landscape. Lin, a Chinese-American, came from a cultivated and artistic home. Her father was the dean of fine arts at Ohio University; her mother is a professor of literature at Ohio University. “As the child of immigrants you have that sense of, Where are you? Where’s home? And trying to make a home,” remarks Lin. She draws inspiration for her sculpture and architecture from culturally diverse sources, including Japanese gardens, Hopewell Indian earthen mounds, and works by American earthworks artists of the 1960s and 1970s. Her most recognizable work, the "Vietnam Veterans Memorial," allows the names of those lost in combat to speak for themselves, connecting a tragedy that happened on foreign soil with the soil of America’s capital city, where it stands. Lin lives in New York and Colorado.

Bravo... Exactly the point. On the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial, there was such an uproar. "why her? how can she speak for American GI's lost in combat, in Asia? "

Her solution was more universal than culturally focused, but culture Informed the design.

Getting back to the Dat/Cho debate: culture informs the material, rather than dictating it, Hence the similarities.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

blingbling
    Quote Originally Posted by Allerleirauh
    1. Can you name an asian comic besides Dat Phan or Margaret Cho?

Bobby Lee, Zenjiro, Danny Bhoy, Rex Navarrete, Shazia Mirza, Shappi Khorsandi, Omid Djalili, Shabana Rehman, Raybon Khan, Henry Cho, Sody Singh Kahlon, Shelley Chopra, Tony Singh, Dr. Ken Jeong, Jokoy, David Capstick, Inder Manocha, Jeff Mirza, Paul Sinha, Tamayo Otsuki, Phil Nee, and I'm spent.
    f.
    I think I should have rephrased this question in the form "asian comic anyone has ever heard of"

Bobby Lee and Henry Cho are quite well known in the US. Most of the others are well-known in the UK. Not Margaret Cho well-known, but plenty of people have heard of them, nonetheless.

blingbling
    Well I've never heard of Bobby or Lee, so ur gonna have to do better than that. & Margeret cho was never that big a comic. Sure she had a sitcom that ran for a season on ABC, but many comics have.

We will limit this to people who have been on comedy centrals premium blend. Cuz any lower than that & in come a flood of hacks.

*staples hand to forehead*

Pardon me, but that's ridiculous. 'I haven't heard of that person, so he/she doesn't count.' The question asked if I'd heard of other Asian comics, so I listed the ones I had heard of. It didn't ask for famous Asian comics. Margaret Cho's success, by the way, goes beyond a sitcom. She's released CD's and videos and has a massive following. Also, for the record, Bobby Lee is one person, he's hilarious, and can be seen on Mad TV. I've also heard he's the inspiration for Dat Phan's new hairstyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Allerleirauh
    Also, for the record, Bobby Lee is one person, he's hilarious, and can be seen on Mad TV. I've also heard he's the inspiration for Dat Phan's new hairstyle.
    I have seen Bobby Lee in person when he performed at my school, that is a funny guy there. I also liked his impersonation of the N. Korean guy with the atomic bombs (not to great on current events), CLASSIC! DROP THE BOMB BOMB BOMB. about Dat getting a Bobby Lee cut, i think it is just a coincidence. I just got a similar cut, and I don't call it the "Dat Phan" LOL.

FORT Newbie
    I think the "attacks" on Dat and the comparison to Cho aren't necessarily race-driven. I mean, yeah--people tend to compare and contrast comics of the same ethnic background. But I think we tend to do that more when we think they're NOT FUNNY. Hey, I'll be the first guilty to admit it: I don't think Dat is funny, so I criticized him for being too ethnic (when what I really meant was, He could be a little more diversified in his material) and compared him to Cho.

But it really has little to do with race. I compare Dat to Cho because their acts ARE quite similar. The reason I criticize him most is because I don't think he's funny. So I compare him to a similar comic who I think is equally as un-funny. All a matter of opinion.....

But he's still funnier than Cho. Never got that girl.....

+ Reply to Thread