+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Dat Phan/Margaret Cho connection.

After just reading all 165 posts on the "Vegas Showdown" and the few here on the Dat Phan / Margaret Cho comparison. I had to throw my "two cents" into the ring.

I find the whole "PRO-DAT" vs. "ANTI-DAT" coalition, movement, (cult) *j/k*, to be hysterical. We have analyzed, broken down and investigated this poor man, like Dat has analyzed his routines.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot
    I have to comment again on the Cho-Dat comparisons, in relation to imitating their mothers.

The accents are different accents, Korean vs. Vietnamese, and the two mothers are presented as having virtually opposite personalities.

Where is the similarity? In my opinion it is only that they are both Asian. There isn't really much else besides that.
    I totally agree with you, Comedians pull their material from their own lives and reality. That includes childhood, school, workplace, yada yada yada, (oops, sorry Jerry!) . Anyway, as someone else had already pointed out, there will always be SOME overlapping when it comes to similarity.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliGirl
    Have you ever noticed that most asian comics talk about typical asian stuff like "math" or having strict parents? But that's okay because you talk about what you know. There is nothing wrong with it.

However, in Dat's case, he is using old material that has already been presented by other comics, including Margaret Cho, who did the "Mother schtick" not because she's Asian but because it was original and funny at the time.

Dat is not original, period. Last week he told an old joke that has been recycled so many times that it can't even be left out on the curb any more.
    Welllllllllllllllllllllll, not everyone has seen Margaret Cho's act, so if an audience is receptive, then you cant fault them for not knowing the material they've heard isnt that original. Every audience is different and its a crap shoot for a comedian. Im not condoning "stealing" jokes, however, let's not forget:

"Imitation IS the sincerest form of flattery"
    Last edited by Sepialove; 07-27-2003 at 07:54 PM.
    Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God

I might be wrong, but didn't Dat use a Margaret Cho joke a while ago? In Vegas, when the 10 were selected to go to the house, he used the joke: "I knew stand-up comedy was for me when I was the only Asian that failed math." I thought that was her joke

Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    Perhaps we didn't see any black or asian contestants on "Married By America" because they have better sense than the white folk that were silly enough to be on that show.

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    I dont remember a single Asian who hasn't used that joke at one time or another.

Quote Originally Posted by CashMoneySoviet
    I dont remember a single Asian who hasn't used that joke at one time or another.
    Oh, really? The only Asian comedian I've seen a lot from is Margaret Cho. I've seen others, but I've only seen short sets from them, and I don't remember hearing that joke. She's the only one I've heard do it besides Dat, so I assumed it was hers, but we all know what happens when you assume...

Quote Originally Posted by chrldr1818
    Oh, really? The only Asian comedian I've seen a lot from is Margaret Cho. I've seen others, but I've only seen short sets from them, and I don't remember hearing that joke. She's the only one I've heard do it besides Dat, so I assumed it was hers, but we all know what happens when you assume...
    Actually, I think Yoko Ono first said that joke during the making of the "White Album" while sitting on one of Paul's amps. The other Beatles didn't want her around after that.

Quote Originally Posted by aerportman
    There have been a number of posts talking about how Dat Phan steals from Margaret Cho. I just wanted to start a thread about this, because i think its an interesting topic.

Do you think Dat Phan stole anything? Or does this have to do more with the "token asian"/"asians all look the same" syndrome that may or may not have a hold in the minds of american society?

Here are a few interesting questions to ask yourself:

1. Can you name an asian comic besides Dat Phan or Margaret Cho?
    Yeah I remember a guy named wing.... he used to make a joke about wing being a chinese name meaning 'arm of bird'

2. Can you tell the difference between Dat Phan's Vietnamese Mom accent and Margaret Cho's Korean Mom accent - or do you think of both of their accents being simply "asian" accents. "Asian" being the non-existent language that only exists in the minds of people who can't tell the difference.
    Yes, and I go further. I can tell the difference between spoken cantonese and mandarin, Whether spoken by a Hongkee or a Malaysian. I am quite good at remembering accents. Just consider me Henry Higgins.
    3. If two people did Jewish Mom or Italian Mom accents in their act, would we be making the same comparison? (I'm just going to answer that with a big fat no, btw).
    I don't make that comparison. IF you know me better my criticism is a bit deeper.
    and just with the media in general. how much do you think race plays in reality TV in general? did you notice that in the "Married by America" tv show, NONE of the contestants were either black or asian?
    FWIW I never saw that show. Race relations being what they are in the US, although I don't think a lot of the issues are relevent to myself, I do think the discussion is quite valid and useful, if only as a self-check as to why a person does a certain thing.

anyhows, lets see if anyone replies.
    As you see, I have replied, although not exactly with the response you intended.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

I just want to say that I think this is a great thread and I thank you a for the great "conversation".
    It's nice to read through the differing opinions, and not have people feeling invalidated thus getting angry.
    Great discussion going on...

I have nothing to add on the topic though
    I think both Margeret and Dat are funny
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    Perhaps we didn't see any black or asian contestants on "Married By America" because they have better sense than the white folk that were silly enough to be on that show.
    Yay to that!!! A man with some sense in all this.... rather heavy fodder for a comedy reality show.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by aerportman
    i just wanted to say , that in starting the thread, i didn't mean to imply that anyone who compared dat phan to cho was a racist. but there are definitely people who do make the comparison just because they are asian, and that was more of the target of the thread.

i think i was maybe irked by some posts that seemed annoyed with having to hear about "asian" or (more offensively) "ethnic" acts. or too much "ethnic" material. like employers asking an african-american woman to not wear jewelry that is too "ethnic", etc... etc... where its more clear that the annoyance has a lot to do with simply wanting (whether intentionalyl or unintentionally) to hear about something different - or not understanding. i'm not sure. but there was a lot of posting / counter posting on other threads about this, so i thought i'd condense the issue into this one thread.

To be honest, there are some elements of Dat/Cho comparisons that are indeed based on racism.

My thought abt it is more along the lines of
    what do these two characters have in common.
    1. Grew up on strong/traditional asian cultures that highly praise academic acheivement.
    2. working in Comedy, not a particularly asian enclave in US society.
    3. Trying to fit their experiences (Asian/Asian Americans growing up in (largely) White America) and have others get RELEVENCE from it.

From what I see, Comics largly base their comedy on what they know.... Life Experience in short. In the case of DAT/Cho, its a similar experience, with some differences.

I recall something I heard about Maya Lin about her experiences in her career, and after reaching the hieght of fame, chose to go another path.... 1 Bonus point if you can tell me who she is, 5 if you can tell me her big acheivement :Hint, it's in Washington DC.

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    Pfft, Im too young to know that! Not fair, Senrik!

+ Reply to Thread