+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What kind of Comedy do you prefer?

Long live Bill Hicks. Well, OK, he's actually dead. The guy still finds ways to crack me up though, and he'll probably always be my favorite comedian. I've always liked Tom Rhodes a lot. Dennis Miller really gets me rollin' sometimes too.

Quote Originally Posted by dvm
    I prefer silly, borderlining corny, and physical humor. I don't know if you all realize this yet or not but I'm a HUGE fan of Dat for these reasons.

I thought Three's Company was genius, friggin' love Jim Carey, and LOVED Jackass... Steve-O is da MAN.

I also like a little racist humor, and no I'm not a racist. I get a kick out of hearing people sound off about tabu subjectmatter.
    Its funny, I was Watching Blazing Saddles last weekend. One of the things I noticed is that you just couldn't do a movie like that anymore. Too many jokes would 'offend' various ethnic groups Including Chinese, blacks and the Irish.

We are in a sad world where one is not allowed to celebrate the differences in people due to the fear of offending someone.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

FORT Newbie
    I love silly improv skits, like Whose Line is it Anyway type stuff. Colin Mochrie and Ryan Stiles are great together, and Wayne Brady is amazing at coming up with songs on the spot. Drew Carrey annoys the heck out of me though.

-Kel
    "The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans are suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you."
    Rita Mae Brown

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by dvm
    I also like a little racist humor, and no I'm not a racist. I get a kick out of hearing people sound off about tabu subjectmatter.
    One of the funniest bits I've seen is Dave Chapelle's "Black White Supremacist." Racism can be funny when it's the offended group poking fun. Can make you realize how ridiculous the whole race thing is.....

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    Quote Originally Posted by mac211
    One of the funniest bits I've seen is Dave Chapelle's "Black White Supremacist." Racism can be funny when it's the offended group poking fun. Can make you realize how ridiculous the whole race thing is.....
    Eloquently put

Like sarcasm, some ethnic stuff if fresh/new, political (occasionally), and observational. I guess that pretty much covers the spectrum. After about two minutes of his act, the whole audience id literally in need of oxygen...

Like I've said in another post, Brian Regan has to be the funniest comic on the planet and he works clean. His timing, attitude and material is top-notch.

As for others, older guys like Carlin, Pryor, Dangerfield and even Newhart led the way.

Then the next batch including Leary, some Murphy, Dice, Seinfeld, and a New York-New England fave "Dr Dirty" John Valby.

To some of the new guys like Stephen Lynch, Frank Caliendo, Pablo Francisco, Jim Norton.

Been around awhile guys like Stanhope, Schimmel, Jeff Ross, Jim Breuer, Rogan, Colin Quinn, David Cross, Lewis Black...

The list goes on and on...

Quote Originally Posted by RushVB
    Been around awhile guys like Stanhope, Schimmel, Jeff Ross, Jim Breuer, Rogan, Colin Quinn, David Cross, Lewis Black...
    Finally!!! Someone mentioned 1/2 of the GENIUS Mr. Show duo Bob Odenkirk and David Cross.

So Onion-y and delicious. Long Live Bob and David!!!!

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    I just checked the schedule for the big club in Denver; Regan is going to be there August 8-9. I think I know where I'm taking my wife on "date night" that week.

Okay, I've mentioned my love of sarcasm, but if done properly I also like both Parody and Irony (which can kind of be like sarcasm, but not exactly).

Parody can be mismanaged, of course. See 75% of SNL skits for examples. See the old SNL skit with Harry Shearer and Martin Short where they are competitive synchronized swimmers for one that actually works in a non-obvious way. I mean who would think to make fun of competitive olympic sports in the first place, muchless synchronized swimming?

Sometimes with this kind of comedy, it isn't even about big belly laughs, just a chuckle of amusement and recognition. It can be subtle, balancing tribute with mockery (if its broader, its more like farce, I guess). For example, there's a recent music video by a group called "Fountains of Wayne", where they basically pay tribute to The Cars with a song called "Stacy's Mom" (its on MTV.com--search for it if you care). I very much doubt anyone watching it will get any belly laughs, but if you were around and watching Cars videos in the 1980s you'll feel little bits of amusement at stuff in the video. Sometimes little crap like that is as important as "ho ho" stuff.
    Last edited by Krom; 07-26-2003 at 01:09 AM.

I don't know what type of humor I like because I believe its all in the delivery. I know who I like:

Sue Murphy (best comedian I've EVER seen live)
    David Spade
    Kevin James
    I cannot remember this guy's name and shame on me, but I saw a stand up special on Comedy Central with him, he is also on King of Queens, blonde and does a bit about "sweet tea" while visiting Atlanta..very funny guy.

I do NOT like British humor, I do not GET IT...My mother in law is from England and therefore my husband really enjoys that Benny Hill/guysdressinguplikewomen jokes/borderlineperverted references..maybe I have more to worry about than comedy?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast