+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What kind of Comedy do you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by ladytex
    I'm into dry wit, laid back humor. Slap-stick or physical comedy never really appealed to me.

I prefer dry humor. I really get a kick out of sarcasm. I also enjoy the really bizarre, off the wall comedians. The only example of that on LCS is Rob, I guess you could consider Tere to be bizarre, but I don't think she's funny. I don't like physical comedy that much, I prefer a laid back, low energy approach.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by chrldr1818

I prefer dry humor. I really get a kick out of sarcasm. I also enjoy the really bizarre, off the wall comedians. The only example of that on LCS is Rob, I guess you could consider Tere to be bizarre, but I don't think she's funny. I don't like physical comedy that much, I prefer a laid back, low energy approach.
    Ditto, I dig the dry, sarcastic stuff; prefer the laid-back much more than slapstick.....although I'm a little snobbish with the bizarre types. I love guys like Steven Wright because he comes off as a complete nut-job. A guy like Rob Cantrell comes off as a little too nice, too "boy-next-door." He probably just needs a little time to wash off the schoolteacher thing.....

I got a wide range, but Dennis Miller, Chris Rock, Colin Quinn and Adam Sandler (the latter two as hosts and performers, not stand-ups) are some of my favorites. Not much into the whole "physical comedy" thing. But my boy: RICHARD JENI. "Platypus Man" is the singular funniest comedy special I've ever seen, and his take on "Jaws 4: The Revenge" is hilarious stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    What kind of comedy I like? The funny kind.
    This seemingly basic answer to this question is actually brilliant!

You never know what is going to make you laugh. It's not like there is a formula out there but certain things just make different people laugh.

I for instance have always been a fan of comics that make me think...Dennis Miller comes to mind. It's like a mental excercise to keep up with him but he can be so funny, and so brilliant. I like the dry sarcasm of Dave Mordal or the observational humor of Seinfeld.

I never 'got' slapsick or sophomoric humor.

That being said, I think Special Ed on Crank Yankers is the funniest thing! I just crack up everytime I hear it. The whole "I've got mail" thing makes me die!! Why???? Search me?

Because it makes me laugh. Well said Senrik.

Mrs. P

Quote Originally Posted by Sirwanksalot
    Hey Krom

The funiest bit I saw in 2002 was Triumphs ripping of Star Wars geeks while they waited (wearing costumes) for the Movie to Premeire in NYC...

Like shooting fish in a barrel on that day :-)
    That was indeed a Triumph high point.

FORT Regular
    I know this is probably quite weird, but I think Jackie Chan was hillarious in nearly every movie he's made. His physical comedy feels almost like a modern Charlie Chaplin and it works every time. I know if you aren't a fan of the genre, it's tough to get into it, but I'd rather watch a funny Chan film than an hour of standup from nearly anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Misake
    I know this is probably quite weird, but I think Jackie Chan was hillarious in nearly every movie he's made. His physical comedy feels almost like a modern Charlie Chaplin and it works every time. I know if you aren't a fan of the genre, it's tough to get into it, but I'd rather watch a funny Chan film than an hour of standup from nearly anybody.
    And some people (myself included) like Three Stooges Flicks.
    Physical and stand-up cannot really be compared like that though, at least not in my head.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

FORT Regular
    Yeah, I agree that they are very different things. But to the original thread question, I prefer film or radio sets made by people like Mel Brooks or Jackie chan to stand-up any day.

I wish there were still good radio shows around. Drama, comedy, whatever.

Could use a Bob Barker PSA right about now...

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Pusser
    This seemingly basic answer to this question is actually brilliant!

You never know what is going to make you laugh. It's not like there is a formula out there but certain things just make different people laugh.

I for instance have always been a fan of comics that make me think...Dennis Miller comes to mind. It's like a mental excercise to keep up with him but he can be so funny, and so brilliant. I like the dry sarcasm of Dave Mordal or the observational humor of Seinfeld.

I never 'got' slapsick or sophomoric humor.

That being said, I think Special Ed on Crank Yankers is the funniest thing! I just crack up everytime I hear it. The whole "I've got mail" thing makes me die!! Why???? Search me?

Because it makes me laugh. Well said Senrik.

Mrs. P
    GOOD ANSWER!!
    You and I seem to have very similar tastes, from Miller to Mordal to... well, I can take Seinfeld or leave him, frankly, but I generally like observational stuff. I like *smart* humor, stuff that I wouldn't have thought of myself but that touches on some area of my intellect. Eddie Izzard strikes that in me all the time. That's what appeals.

I said somewhere else on this board (who knows where, it's all become so tangled) that Ralphie's humor is not the kind of stuff that I like. It just doesn't speak to me on a personal level, doesn't really relate to my everyday experience. But the man makes me LAUGH. I may walk away from Dave Mordal feeling like he was speaking to me because I was more his target audience, but ultimately, Ralphie makes me laugh too.

But Crank Yankers? I don't know, Mrs. P, I think you'd have to be crazy to like that sort of garbage.
    Joy
    Blogging away in my LaughAtlantis world...

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    I prefer silly, borderlining corny, and physical humor. I don't know if you all realize this yet or not but I'm a HUGE fan of Dat for these reasons.

I thought Three's Company was genius, friggin' love Jim Carey, and LOVED Jackass... Steve-O is da MAN.

I also like a little racist humor, and no I'm not a racist. I get a kick out of hearing people sound off about tabu subjectmatter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast