+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: High School Behavior

FORT Regular

High School Behavior

I'm new here. Read a bit of the forums and now want to make some observations.

If this show were just about the funniest stand-up comic, then why not do an AI type of show and make it just about performance?

Instead we're given a big brother type of look into these comics personalities and behaviors. So NBC doesn't just want us to laugh at the comics. They want us to like and dislike their characters too.

Which means this isn't about the funniest comic. This is about the comic that America likes the best.

Which means that Dat Phan has a point when he says that a good person should win.

Which leads me to wonder why all the comics have ganged up on Dat. There really isn't anything that has been shown to us that makes Dat a bad person to be around. Sure, he's a little different. He rehearses, talks to himself, meditates, exercises and makes charts and keeps notes on what he does.

A unique way of working, but nothing in what he does appears to hurt anyone else.

Yet the others in the house have all gone back to high school and have singled out the "different" kid. He's wierd, we don't understand him, so he has to go. Those charts are annoying. We don't want that kind around.

Even the hide and seek game; that kind of trick is hilarious when you play it on your friends. I laughed at it. And there is certainly nothing wrong with it when it is one of your own that you're doing it to. But it came off mean because they did it to someone they had singled out as not one of them.

There's some bullying going on here. Certainly nothing that is really harmful and Dat is strong enough to rise above it. But with a house full of so called "adults" should this type of thing be happening?

I understand that NBC has edited a lot. But we can only come to our conclusions based on the information given us. So my question is, Why is everyone ganging up on Dat?

FORT Regular
    well like you said it is because he is wierd. and it might not be obvious to us, but he might be really annoying with his wierdness. and i have nothing wrong with people makinf fun of the different if they are annoying as well. plus i think he might be just trying to act like the nice guy. we dont know any of these people(except for a coupple people here) so we cant really percieve how they act in person. so i think it is nieve(sp?) to just assume that he is nice and everyone else is mean jsut because of wut u see. there might be a lot more goign on.

FORT Regular
    Maikij, I agree with you on the punkish behaviour. I disagree with EvilMonkey's comment that it's ok to make fun of them if they annoy you.

So many people in my life are far more annoying and I don't go and berate them, kick their asses or mock them. I ignore them, and maybe bitch a little, like Dat, but far less intense.

I'd think that normally somebody with Ralphie's weight would have suffered enough abuse in high school to make them stand up for Dat, but as it was said, we don't know the full circumstances.

I had more to say, but realized I was actually beginning to actively post in a Forum. And, no offence, but I hate the concept of trying to reason with unknown 'peers' through messages.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Misake
    many people in my life are far more annoying and I don't go and berate them, kick their asses or mock them. I ignore them, and maybe bitch a little, like Dat, but far less intense.
    who said anythign about kicking ass? mock yes, i will do if it is excessive. and im emmbarrassed to admit that i dont know exactly wut berate means.

You know, I found this truly interesting. Not everyone, but the majority of those who votes for the comics are also in a way represtented by these comics. I'm not saying you guys chart other people's laugh and pull a hide and seek joke when you're past your 30ish, but the way you interact and percieve others... I hope that's understandable?

And the twos M's who posted above me, I agree with you both. I can't believe I made almost the same same statements, although less detailed, in another thread. Good to hear.

EvilMonkey, you made the statement that we don't know any of the comics except the ones here.

I have to disagree with that. We don't know the one's here either. Ralphie has been the most prolific poster of the comics that have visited, and how well do we know him? We don't.

Now to comment on the topic of the first post:

It really has bothered me too, how juvenille these people have acted. Yes, there are people you meet in your life that you don't like. Yes, hopefully "we" have the option of not living with them. But no matter, I would hope that I wouldn't treat people I didn't like the way it's been shown that the comics treat Dat and Sean. We will never know the full story, so we have to go with what we've been shown, we just have to take it all with a grain of salt.

I also agree that it would have been better to have an AI type showdown everyweek. They could be MADE to write new material about certain subjects... family, politics, religion, minorities, shildhood. That would really push them out of thier comfort zone... and well, it also might not be at all funny

I have trouble getting my husband to watch because their comics, and he doesn't give a crap about their personal lives. He wants to watch the last few minutes and that is all. And he DOES watch BB
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Great thread Maikij!

Glad to see some people still have humanity.

The other boards are spooky.

All the comics are outcast types( barring Rob), so there bullying of another becomes even more offensive.

FORT Regular
    What is the difference between physical and verbal abuse? My answer to that is -None-.

Look up berate if you feel like it.

I think it would be VERY difficult to have comics do an actual American Idol type show, for a couple of reasons.

In the early stages of AI, you have 10 contestants doing about a minute each of a song. A single minute of comedy can be the hardest thing in the world. There are some people who tell single jokes - setup and puchline - and a minute might be fine for them, but for anyone who tells a story that leads to a punchline, they're screwed. So a Ralphie or a Dave is automatically going to lose in those circumstances; they'll just be eliminated very early on because of their stle of comedy.

Also, asking people to write stuff about random topics presents a huge set of problems. Different people come up with their material in different ways; they develop their acts over different time periods and using diverse approaches to their material. Saying, "You have one week to come up with a minute of material about religion" is very difficult - also because you don't have the opportunity to try the stuff out on a crowd ahead of time. Comics hone their acts; they try stuff out and determine what works for them and what doesn't. Going onstage with material that they've never done before and showing that to a national audience... that's career suicide.
    Joy
    Blogging away in my LaughAtlantis world...

Oh, I agree, that an AI type program would be close to impossible, but what I was meaning to convey is I'd like more than 5 minutes of stand up.....

Also, it wouldn't have to be exactly like AI... they wouldn't have to have just 1 minute of time in the early rounds... just MORE STAND UP
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast