+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: High School Behavior

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Quote Originally Posted by Misake
    What is the difference between physical and verbal abuse? My answer to that is -None-.
    I'm 100% behind Misake on this one. Any form of abuse designed to injure a person in any way is just out and out abuse, pure and simple. There is no grey area in there. That's just my humble opinion, but I stand by it.

I can see it from both sides.
    The thing is abuse can start as verbal, and for a young child can be more damaging than physical abuse, but I also see where senrik is coming from. If you are a strong person and old enough to understand it is a heck of a lot easier to walk away from someone calling you stupid, than it is from someone punching you.

All in all, in my opinion, abuse is abuse, and it all sucks.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

FORT Regular
    (I was writing this when a couple people posted, I was responding to MajiH's welcome)

Yeah I know, and that really is what I hate.

Personally, I just dislike the concept of the current online community and any chance being drawn into it bothers me. I know and accept that a lot of people here hold a totally different opinion and enjoy places like these even forming friendships and whatnot.

But to me it's like a batch of letters to the editor. I don't know any of you, none of you know me, we're just stating opinions. I'm not out to convince or be convinced. If I want to discuss it, I'll go talk to a friend in person. I come here to get info and a concensus of the viewership, like a poll.

Basically, I really hate talking to people in any form other than face to face.

Quote Originally Posted by MajiH
    I'm 100% behind Misake on this one. Any form of abuse designed to injure a person in any way is just out and out abuse, pure and simple. There is no grey area in there. That's just my humble opinion, but I stand by it.
    and where, precisely does criticism end and abuse begin. I remember a Design course (architecture) I took where the teacher deliberately criticised students so hard, they would cry. Tried it with me too. but I refused to cry. in the end he thought I needed psychiatric help because I withstood all that abuse without breaking down.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Yeah I know, and that really is what I hate.

Personally, I just dislike the concept of the current online community and any chance being drawn into it bothers me. I know and accept that a lot of people here hold a totally different opinion and enjoy places like these even forming friendships and whatnot.

But to me it's like a batch of letters to the editor. I don't know any of you, none of you know me, we're just stating opinions. I'm not out to convince or be convinced. If I want to discuss it, I'll go talk to a friend in person. I come here to get info and a concensus of the viewership, like a poll.

Basically, I really hate talking to people in any form other than face to face.
    so in other words, by your admission, you are a Luddite.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

FORT Regular
    senrik, to me it begins wherever the victim declares it to be. As a person with a very thick skin emotionally and a fit person who studies a couple of martial arts forms, I'd rather get beaten on than have someone belittle my skills in front of peers.

An example that always comes to my mind comes from star trek. (Boohoo, I'm a trekkie, I still think this is a perfect example) In a court, the defendant claims that he'd never harm an unarmed man. The prosecution the berates him in every verbal way imaginable until the defendant reached his limit of tolerance and beat him to the ground. The procecutor gets up says 'Maybe you should revise that to you'd never hit an unarmed man unless you got angry.'

Now to me, the procecutor (An unfit man) was armed and firing unceasingly. The procecutor attacked with his only arsenal -verbal abuse- and the defendant retaliated with a -physical- attack.

Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    and where, precisely does criticism end and abuse begin. I remember a Design course (architecture) I took where the teacher deliberately criticised students so hard, they would cry. Tried it with me too. but I refused to cry. in the end he thought I needed psychiatric help because I withstood all that abuse without breaking down.
    We can go round and round on this. I am stating MY opinion. Nothing more. In my eyes, if the criticism was designed to INJURE you in some way, it was a form of abuse. Period. Abuse is abuse. You can sticky tack numerous forms of abuse in front of the word, and it's still abuse.

FORT Regular
    Senrik, not entirely, I work in IT -insert laugh-. I simply don't take any satisfaction from speaking to someone on the phone or by icq. Maybe virtual reality will be better, but I like to communicate with more than one sense.

Senrik, not entirely, I work in IT -insert laugh-. I simply don't take any satisfaction from speaking to someone on the phone or by icq. Maybe virtual reality will be better, but I like to communicate with more than one sense.
    Luddite is not an insult to me, and I'm an IT guy too. I just remember not to take anything on the internet too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    Luddite is not an insult to me, and I'm an IT guy too. I just remember not to take anything on the internet too seriously.
    Yeah, we don't take everything on the internet too seriously here at the FORT. Just everything we see on TV.

Please note the MANY winkie faces which denote this as a joke so I don't come back from my swim and the pool to find 800 posts telling me what an idiot I am. And, besides, I readily admit to being an idiot so it will come as no surprise to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast