+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The truth about the Dat/Dave showdown

The truth about the Dat/Dave showdown

Everyone seems to be talking about how Dave was much funnier than Dat so how could he have lost. Somebody even said that it was because of where Dat is from that affected the votes.

Jay Mohr was at another site and said something very important to keep in mind. The comics at the showdown do about 10 MINUTES of Stand-up and it is edited down to 2 and a half minutes. That means there is 7 and a half minutes of the stand-up acts of both we DID NOT SEE. The other comics said Dat was ON FIRE that night- he couldn't have been with what we saw, that set was a big stinker- so the best was kept from us (God, I hope) - I think it might be because Dat does the same act every time so they might be saving his good stuff for the final five when everyone votes so it will be the first time everyone hears it. That might also be why Ralphie’s act did not seem as good as it could have been. Ralphie himself said he got a standing ovation- since that seems a bit strange-perhaps they cut out the best parts to save for later as well. Since Dave was booted, they left his as it was. That's why it seems like Dave was funnier.

I guess the same might be said of Cory and Tere, but since the comics themselves did not seem to know which way the votes would go, they must have been about even. Although it’s bit scary to know that the best material from Tere’s act was culled and shown since she would obviously not be performing again. Rob, on the other hand, I could see being so "out there" his best would not be appropriate for NBC viewing, although the wide margin of Ralphie’s win sort of negates that.

It does get you to thinking, though. Why was Dat’s worst material only presented? Will he be doing his act next week in another challenge and they want to show his best material next week so we will be surprised when he loses? Or did he make it to Vegas and the editors are trying to save the best laughs for the final? Or I completely overstating everything and have way too much time on my hands and need to get a real life? And who is the surprise visitor to the house next week? Is it Buddy Hackett who faked his death and shows up to scare everybody? Or is it Joan Rivers who shows up to give her fellow comics some heartfelt advice- "If you win, for God’s sake, don’t do this to your face." Or is it Michael Jackson, who mistakenly thinks the "Last Comic Standing" bus is a from a Grade School, and follows it home?

Only time will tell, my fellow LCS maniacs.

Only reason I can see why they showed Dat's act edited the way it was is so that when he does do a whole set for the viewers it will be hilarious. As i've stated elswhere on this board he clearly got blown away by Dave on Tuesday.

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    I think that we all should go into the finals with an open mind. It could get really tough come decision time. I really think that the best is yet to come.

GOOOOOOOOOO DAT!!!

(Sorry had to throw in my plug )

Quote Originally Posted by dvm
    I really think that the best is yet to come.
    Totally agree. What's a reality show without a !shocking!twist!, right?

Lets take this a bit further. If Dat has 10 hilarious minutes he graphs and charts and uses over and over till he perfects it, and Mordal has... lets say an hour or so of stuff he spreads over multiple acts of varying quality... does it REALLY answer who is ultimately the better comic?

Nope.

One thing in favor of Dave (not in winning that standup, but in the long run) is that he basically only has to talk for something funny to come out. Dat has to plot and plan.

So while this may solve the "mystery" of why the audience voted as they did, it does little to give us any ultimate answer about their futures or total talent. Those arguments will continue to go on here and in bars through America for... lets say a week after the show is over and everyone gets bored.

This may be a minor flaw in the show formula, but hey, its reality TV not reality.

Dat should bring out the graphs and charts on stage, and for 10 minutes give a monotenous speech about the intricate planning and decisive detail he gives to each set. He should then drop his pants, run around screaming, and let the chips fall where they may.

Or maybe not.

Well if anything, everyone gets some good free exposure. I have a feeling that no matter who wins, someone else will be getting a better deal out of it. Think American Idol - the winner gets bound to all kinds of restrictive contracts while the others have a bit (but not much) more freedom. I don't know what the LCS contracts are like, but if the winner has a deal like AI's, the others will be much better off.

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    Quote Originally Posted by holiday
    He should then drop his pants, run around screaming, and let the chips fall where they may.

Or maybe not.
    That plan has a lot of potential for some MAJOR disappontment.

muahahaha

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    I also think that if Dat (or anyone) continues to do the same material over and over in the head to heads, NBC doesn't want us, the viewing audience, to see the same stuff over and over. Therefore, maybe they showed what some believe to be Dat's "worst" stuff because if they have to show Dat again, and he does the same stuff, it will be different to US. Make sense?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast