+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The truth about the Dat/Dave showdown

I think you hit the nail on the head zapata. NBC has to create conflict, to make a "better" show. And you do that with heavy editing. Think back to Big Brother 1, very little editing, and the show usually put you to sleep. Number 2, 3, and 4 are much better because of the "better" editing. I can't even remember at this moment who won Big Brother 1 =P

Anyhow, you just have to skim this board, this thread even, to see that NBC is doing a great job.

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Wow. Okay.

I'm not a huge Dat fan and Dave was my favorite. Let me preface this whole post by saying that, okay?

I just don't see how people can make such refined generalizations of Dat's comedic worth based on the very few minutes we have seen of him on television and what a select few other people have said about knowing him personally.

Really, it's about the comedy. I don't care if Dat wants to save the world, blah blah blah *retch*, but if he can't make me LAUGH, then he just isn't going anywhere with me. I really think that is what we should be focusing on.

Was I astonished he beat Dave? Yes, but speaking only from my personal taste. I think Dave is hands down the funnier person. It's just a damned shame that audience didn't think so, too.

The comic industry does not mean the whole world to me. Why should it? Some of you guys are making this comparable to the Bush/Gore election campaign in Florida. Obviously, wars will not start breaking out in the Middle East if Dat gets his own sitcom, niether do I think comedy will die because Dat performs horribly. So say if he steals the competition from those wonderful 9 comedians to begin with. It's not like he'll be representing every comedian in the nation. It'll be the most ironic joke in history when Dat Phan causes NBC to crash down in flames. The entertainment business are manipulate so I could care less what happens to NBC. Dave would probably think otherwise though, since he looks like the most prominent choice to sign a contract. Sorry Dave. LCS is a great show, but I don't think I'll be missing anyone on the set. Maybe if they had a personality... Oh well, new comic genuises will always arise.

Quote Originally Posted by MadCowDisease
    I'm not bitter. I'm just amazed that Dat has gotten this far against the truly talented. I don't think that's right at all. Neither does NBC.
    Me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCowDisease
    NBC left the voting up to the people because they figured they'd see if the viewer could pick out a comedian capable of creating a great sitcom. Now NBC is praying for a miracle because they know that Dat isn't the right comedian for the job, but nevertheless, Dat might win it anyway.
    I think the wisest thing NBC did was make the final show live. By giving the viewing public the opportunity to watch the show before seeing the finals, they get an idea of who these people are off-stage. The people voting have got a preconceived idea of who they want to win at that point, whereas in the elimination rounds it's just about that one performance, that one night. Here's a parallel: If you've been a huge Clay Aiken fan, how likely are you to switch and vote for Kimberley Locke toward the end of the competition just because Clay does a phenomenally bad job of singing Vincent? How likely do you think it is that a die-hard Ralphie fan is going to be swayed at the last minute by a solid performance by Geoff? Not very, because we as the audience have already decided who we want to win.

I think NBC is relatively confident, given what they've shown to the audience, that they've set Ralphie, Rich or Tess up to win. They both have great charisma and strong personalities, and that's what's going to sell a sitcom. Geoff may be fabulous, who knows, but he'd have to TOTALLY blow away the competition at this point to get peole to notice him. And frankly, Dat will now be seen as the person who ousted the funniest guy in the house, which makes him the bad guy. Given all of this, I don't think there's much of a chance that Dat can win.

At least, I hope not.
    Joy
    Blogging away in my LaughAtlantis world...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the final were all filmed before the audience got a glimpse of the actual show to prevent such bias votes.

If I were in Italy Italian Idol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the final were all filmed before the audience got a glimpse of the actual show to prevent such bias votes.

You stand corrected. The show next week on July 23rd is being taped in Las Vegas and being show on T.V. on the 29th. Next week will the the eliminationof yet another comic which has already been taped last winter. I hope this clears things up and if Ralphie is out there to correct ME if I'm off base, I would really appreciate it.
    "I come from humble grounds. I was never spoiled, so I know how to appreciate things given to me"

Quote Originally Posted by Italian Idol
    You stand corrected. The show next week on July 23rd is being taped in Las Vegas and being show on T.V. on the 29th. Next week will the the eliminationof yet another comic which has already been taped last winter. I hope this clears things up and if Ralphie is out there to correct ME if I'm off base, I would really appreciate it.
    That's the idea I got too. I think the "Vegas Tickets" thread has some info on this.

My thoughts.

Dat maticuosly (I know I miss-spelled that) his skits down to the second and re-hearses over and over. I know that some take note that his tounge does not roll off the funny lines like so many of the other peeps. Whats is interesting is this is exactly how the wild and crazy Steve Martin undertook his work and he went very far by planning very hard to be funny. Steve's skits on Johnny Carson we're some the tonights shows best and with his "The Amazing Flidini" considered by quite a few to be the funniest bit ever on the tonight show.

I am not saying in any way shape or form that Dat is the next Wild and crazy one, but the offstage persona also seems to fit Martin since I've never seen him adlib (for jokes) in interviews.

I also think that the Left Coast had something to do with Dat beating the White midwesterner. IMO It's within rationale that minorities may get a few points just for getting on stage. Not a free pass by any means, but if the crowd was a spectrum of Americans (by location) then Dat would have most probably lost.

IMO - The fairest crowds will be in Vegas with it's huge influx of Americans from all areas of the nation.

Sir wanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sirwanksalot
    My thoughts.

Dat maticuosly (I know I miss-spelled that) his skits down to the second and re-hearses over and over. I know that some take note that his tounge does not roll off the funny lines like so many of the other peeps. Whats is interesting is this is exactly how the wild and crazy Steve Martin undertook his work and he went very far by planning very hard to be funny. Steve's skits on Johnny Carson we're some the tonights shows best and with his "The Amazing Flidini" considered by quite a few to be the funniest bit ever on the tonight show.

I am not saying in any way shape or form that Dat is the next Wild and crazy one, but the offstage persona also seems to fit Martin since I've never seen him adlib (for jokes) in interviews.
    Dear Mr. Wanker

Comparing Dat to Steve Martin is simply awful. Steve Martin has never been funny. I remember being like 7 years old when I saw the Wild and funny thing (back when it was fresh) and I didn't think it was funny then. Did it ever become funny?
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    Dear Mr. Wanker

Comparing Dat to Steve Martin is simply awful. Steve Martin has never been funny. I remember being like 7 years old when I saw the Wild and funny thing (back when it was fresh) and I didn't think it was funny then. Did it ever become funny?
    If you're basing Steve Martin's funniness (is that a word? Oh well, it is now) on that one skit then you're missing out on a lot. Martin is brilliant.
    Men are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you can't help but smile as you see one tumble down the stairs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast