+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Mob Boss must go

The Mob Boss must go

The Mob Boss Must Go

In this episode, we finally see the unraveling and self-destructive nature of the coalition Not quite "Once Upon a Time in America," but it’s getting there. Dat keeps saying he wants to be a star on a show. Well, like it or not, he’s the star of this one. At least he has been for the last two episodes. Though I have a feeling just by the way they edited his stand-up challenge, he will be gone next week.

It starts off again with a discussion about Dat not being funny in the house. As Dave said, it’s not "Last Trustworthy Comedian Standing," but it’s also not "Last House Entertainer Standing" as Dave was very shortly about to find out. These comedians seem to be more concerned about wanting to make their housemates laugh than concerned about sharpening their stand-up acts. Cory in particular seems desperate not to be challenged. But in this episode, we get glimpses of what might make Dat so annoying. He followed Cory around the house wanting to talk to her. I can see where this could be annoying and it looks like it might not have been the first time. Cory again shows different sides of herself- it is like she is Darth Vader fighting the evil force inside her- should she go to the light or to the darkness? It was genuinely nice of her to get everyone together to see if they could not be so cruel in the voting. She does appear like an adult at times who is irked that she has to deal with a child- yet she is fiercely devoted to the coalition, even though now it is being realized that his coalition is not producing results at all. It is time to see that Rich Voss is not the one to take orders from, as for two weeks in a row, two comics they have liked are now gone and Corey had to face a challenge with Tere that she obviously did not want to do, with hopes that Tere would have chosen Dat instead. This is not working- the mob boss must go.

Tess again is funny in all her scenes- she is amazingly likeable- I’m not sure about the first show, but she has been consistent in her voting- she always votes for Dat- that in itself is commendable because she has put it plainly on the line that she is going to vote for him every single time he can be voted on- except when she couldn’t with the exemption. Dave and Rich think they are funny together- unfortunately, I found it played flat- the last segment with the two hosting a talk show was not to me particularly engaging.

Everyone likes Ralphie, at least the ones I watch the show with- but at times he appears honest and warm but then you get a shot of him talking to Dat telling him to vote for Geoff and you realize he is just as scheming as the others. Ralphie, though, is like Tess in the fact that the talks they have to the camera always come off very funny-Dave is funny but comes off a bit "nasty" as well as Rich- Cory and Dat are almost never funny- Geoff gets little time talking to the camera, although Geoff should get respect just for the fact that he was fully prepared to be challenged and knew he would be, but still voted for Dat. He seems to be very confident in his stand-up, though for what I saw of him in the beginning, he did not seem so strong on stage.

Dat’s personality was revealed more in this episode and he seems a bit strange. His whole speech about wanting a nice comic to win came across as not very convincing, especially since he knows he is the only honest comic in the house and everyone else is out to get him. At times I thought it was a play to the camera in hopes of getting people to like him instead of a real confession from the heart. I mean, truthfully, the only other real nice guy was Rob, and he is already gone so you have to wonder what he means by saying it all. Ralphie and Geoff could be contenders for "nice guys," but both have displayed enough "backstabbing" tendencies to rule them out.

Although Dat said he knew they would all vote for him, I don’t think he did. I think he was thinking Geoff, Ralphie and maybe Cory wouldn’t. Of course, Dat and Dave are the ones to go. We get treated to a bizarre pre-show preparing by Dat, who honestly appears weirder than ever. Talking to himself in strange voices, it appears the only sitcom he might be perfect for is one based on "Sybil." Now, we get to the meat of our dinner, the stand-off. I’ll be honest, this is the first time I’ve really paid attention to either of these on stage-

Dave starts off with funny bits but nothing unique. It seems it takes him a bit to set up the jokes. The outfit also makes him look like a "homeless person." The jokes, though, are clever and funny. His delivery though has no confidence in his material, he doesn’t put it across. Ralphie May, who did not seem to have many punchlines in his routine, could take this material and really slam it home just because of the force of his personality on stage. Dave is laid back and seems unsure of himself. His timing is also off. But it’s good, although made up of the usual topics.

Now it is time for Dat. I don’t know if it is the editing because the comics themselves have said how he lit up the room, but this is truly disappointing. I think this is the weakest stand-up I’ve seen on the show so far. Rob, who is also inexperienced and unfocused, was much funnier. I felt embarrassed just watching it. Did they leave the funny bits out? I don’t know, but what I saw was not funny at all. The last joke seemed to be the only joke I heard- people have said Dat copies Margaret Cho, but if so, he copies the formula and none of the funny. Cho has big pay-offs, she is truly one of our great modern comics today- this was a train wreck. But he had energy- lots of it- is that what they were voting on and not the act? I don’t know, but from what is shown, Dave is ten times funnier than Dat- I don’t get it. Although Dave once again shows why he deserves to lose by getting a dig in at Dat no matter what. Doesn’t he know by now that doesn’t work?

I’ve liked Dat up until this point, but after seeing his act, I don’t think he deserves to be on the show. I always believed that it did not matter if he was funny in the house if he was funny on stage, but he does not seem to be funny on stage- not to me- and that double homicide cannot go unpunished.

Ralphie’s last scene for me was a highlight. He was bitching about the coalition, and finally, we see some honest backbone from him. Hopefully, by next week, he will have realized he should stop following and start leading. THE MOB BOSS MUST GO!

thinks he's so smart MyNameIsKenny's Avatar
    Tess again is funny in all her scenes- she is amazingly likeable-
    I don't get this at all.

Corey had to face a challenge with Tere that she obviously did not want to do
    I don't get this at all.

And I happen to like Rich.

Other than that, I agree with everything else you've said.
    Hot news just in -- Michael Jackson has a new album coming out. That's right, folks, it's called [pedophilia joke].

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    Sheesh Zapata! Get it off your damn chest, Honey!
    Very insightful! Thanks for putting the time into all of that!

I don't mean that Rich the comic should go, but the persona of Rich the "mob boss" should go. Rich the comic is still a bit of a mystery to me because most of his scenes, not all, have dealt with him directing the coalition, and him playing up that role. But that has now had diastrous results, I'd rather see scenes of Rich being a comic instead of Rich assuming the role of "Don." That role now has backfired on him a bit. I want to see the real Rich, and I don't think we've really seen that yet. With Rob and Dave now gone, it's no longer funny.

I'm interested to see what it is about Rich that makes them all fear him. It's considered ballsy to take on Ralphie and Rich... Ralphie I can see because we've seen him perform more, but what is it about Rich that makes him the Don? His many years of experience? Scary tattoos? The hat, my God, the hat?! I'm starting to like the guy, but what did he do to make everyone kiss his ring?

I think it's the 20 years experience, though I maybe wrong- Rich also was very confident last night about if he had been chosen from Dat- i don't know-i don't remember his act from the start- I've yet to see a real KILLER ACT, and since surely one of them must have it- I mean, out of so many who tried- it's possible that Rich or Tess will bring it to the table. Though Dave was very polished and structured- but he didn't nail it though he could have- I guess we'll see.

"The Don" thing gives him a funny personality... its funny because he looks like he'd be that kind of person.

I actually find The Don and The Coalition to be pretty entertaining, except last night when everything backfired and Dave was sent home. I like Dave's style and his delivery, he's definately one of my favorite stand up comedians. I don't think The Coalition will be the same without Dave, they might decide to vote on their own instead of taking orders from The Don, we'll have to wait and see

Quote Originally Posted by chrldr1818
    I actually find The Don and The Coalition to be pretty entertaining, except last night when everything backfired and Dave was sent home. I like Dave's style and his delivery, he's definately one of my favorite stand up comedians. I don't think The Coalition will be the same without Dave, they might decide to vote on their own instead of taking orders from The Don, we'll have to wait and see
    Well at this point, there may not be much use for a coalition anyway, seeing that next week is the final elimination.

It will be interesting, however to see how the crap hits the fan (as long as the fan isn't me)
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

If I were in Italy Italian Idol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zapata
    I don't mean that Rich the comic should go, but the persona of Rich the "mob boss" should go. Rich the comic is still a bit of a mystery to me because most of his scenes, not all, have dealt with him directing the coalition, and him playing up that role. But that has now had diastrous results, I'd rather see scenes of Rich being a comic instead of Rich assuming the role of "Don." That role now has backfired on him a bit. I want to see the real Rich, and I don't think we've really seen that yet. With Rob and Dave now gone, it's no longer funny.
    You're just mad because you're not Italian.

You have to appreciate what 20 years of stand up will do to a guy who is locked up in a house with 9 other people.
    "I come from humble grounds. I was never spoiled, so I know how to appreciate things given to me"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast