+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What IS the ultimate goal for a stand-up?

The ultimate goal for a comic? Like with most anyone else--to make money and live well.

Sometimes the comedians careers take a weird turn. Imagine being on a list like the one shown on this Agency website:

http://www.delafont.com/comedians.htm

Oh, the comedian says, I'm on the De La Font Black Comedians list... wow!

Snicker. I know he makes $50,000 or 100,000 a pop for it, but I STILL find it funny that Jay Leno advertises for speaking engagements this way. He's on the De La Font website under "Speakers-Political". Snort. http://www.delafont.com/comedians/Jay-Leno.htm for Mr. Leno...

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    The ultimate goal for a comic? Like with most anyone else--to make money and live well.
    It seems like it's more than that for the folks on this show - it's making money butting staying true to stand-up. Is that realistic? Don't you sort of HAVE to branch out at some point if you want to achieve widespread success? Or does that not matter to these guys? And, if it doesn't, why be on the show?

Can one actually make a good living doing stand-up and only stand-up for a lifetime?
    Joy
    Blogging away in my LaughAtlantis world...

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    I totally agree. What is the big deal with wanting to have a sitcom? Most people who have sitcoms want to break into movies, so what? Everyone wants to have money and be able to live their life the way they want. A person in a sitcom has much more stability than just doing standup. The people who have some problem with people wanting money probably never been dirt broke and struggling to pay the bills. It really sucks, and if money may not buy happiness, but it buys a roof over your head, and food on your table, which I'm sure not many people can be happy without.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughAtlantis
    It seems like it's more than that for the folks on this show - it's making money butting staying true to stand-up. Is that realistic? Don't you sort of HAVE to branch out at some point if you want to achieve widespread success? Or does that not matter to these guys? And, if it doesn't, why be on the show?

Can one actually make a good living doing stand-up and only stand-up for a lifetime?
    Pretty much thats all George Carlin has done.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by LaughAtlantis

Good living, yes. Crazy Hollywood money, no.

As a comic myself, I'd like to think my goals are to reach some sort of level "beyond" standup (TV show, movies, books, etc.), but ultimately, all of that would really just be a way to be able to sell out theaters and record comedy albums and HBO specials. Essentially, a sitcom would be my "stepping stone" to doing more standup.

That's me though. Other comics' mileage may vary.

The ultimate goal?
    something tells me the answer is one word: Boo-tay.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

I have a couple of friends who want to be comedians who say that their ultimate goal is to have a special on Comedy Central.

If thats a big comedian goal then good for the LCS contestants.

Joining an unauthoried Elvis fan club.

Also, an unauthorized one.

FORT Regular
    i think that they all ganged up on Dat about him wanting to be a sitcom star is that taht was ALL he wanted to do. he didnt care about stand up(to them of course, i dont know the guy so i have no idea).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast