+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When is a joke a joke.

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Hmmmm. I, for one, laughed. I thought it was funny. I really think we might be over analyzing this whole hide and seek thing. (Really? Say it ain't so, Maji!)

Comics poke fun at themselves and others daily. If you were to sit down and pick things apart with every joke, looking for the action behind it, the thought that went into it, the result of what came out of it....etc, well, you'd have no damned time to laugh.

Comedy is SUBJECTIVE. What is funny to one person is not funny to another. Really, that is all that needs to be said about this subject.

Don't spend too much time looking at the details. Enjoy the joke or don't.

I completely agree MajiH!
    I think one of the reasons that I enjoy the show so much is that I don't really analyze the things the comics do. I thought the Hide & Seek thing was hilarious, but comedy is very subjective, so it probably wasn't funny to quite a few people. I took the prank as just a lighthearted joke, maybe they did it to be mean, or maybe they did it because they were bored and needed some entertainment for the night. Either way I was the whole time. IMO, the prank wasn't out of line, I didn't think it was too serious.

FORT Fogey
    All I know is that at first I thought it was funny. But as time went by, it got less and less funny and it became very uncomfortable.

When Dat walked back in there and the others were practically pissing themselves because they found it so amusing, that's when the joke died.

I have never seen Dat being less than pleasant to the others, and I admire him for being meticulous and studying his craft, always striving to improve his act. What is wrong with that? Nothing as far as I can see, but apparently it stirs up feelings of resentment and hostility in the others.

I don't know if the other comics resent Dat, or if Dat has ever been less than pleasant to anyone in the house. An hour a week isn't a fair representation of everyone in the house and everything that happened. A lot went on that we didn't see. I would assume that the comics pick on Dat for a reason, but maybe they just do it because he's an easy target

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrldr1818
    I don't know if the other comics resent Dat, or if Dat has ever been less than pleasant to anyone in the house. An hour a week isn't a fair representation of everyone in the house and everything that happened. A lot went on that we didn't see. I would assume that the comics pick on Dat for a reason, but maybe they just do it because he's an easy target
    To me, jokes are not funny when cruelty is at the heart of them.

Quote Originally Posted by chrldr1818
    I would assume that the comics pick on Dat for a reason, but maybe they just do it because he's an easy target
    From what I have heard, yes, there was a reason. I won't pass anything on here since it is not my place, but the comics did have reason to be a bit peeved with Dat.

Could it be because of the alleged joke theft?
    Indeed.

thinks he's so smart MyNameIsKenny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    Could it be because of the alleged joke theft?
    That couldn't be it, 'cause at that point they still hadn't seen Dat's act yet.
    Hot news just in -- Michael Jackson has a new album coming out. That's right, folks, it's called [pedophilia joke].

No, Jordan. More on a personal nature. Although that was not mentioned to me so I don't know if it was part of it, as well.

I agree with you, Italian Idol. People are taking these jokes too seriously. Well, to me, the hide and seek game was funny. Dat was kinda, uhh, to put in a nice word, he was just gullible. Because, I mean, who would hide for almost an hour under a curtain when you were hot and sweating ? I found it very funny when it turned out, that Ralphie was just reading his book the whole time. Does ANYONE agree with me?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast