+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something I don't get

FORT Newbie

Something I don't get

Whats up everybody, just found this forum. I've been reading through and there are a few things that I don't think people take into account. As was established in an earlier thread these comics have not seen each others sets. I have only seen several of them outside the show(Vos on Tough Crowd, some of the others on Premium Blend) so all I have to go on is there behavior in the house. And the fact of the matter is Rich and Dave have been making funny observations the whole time and making the other comedians laugh. That is why they are regarded as powerhouses. Ralphie has also done a little of the same thing and the comedians have seen Tess on her extra interview. Comedians like Tere, Dat, and to a lesser extent Geoff haven't been funny IN THE HOUSE. This is no reflection on their standup, but if your not consistently making the other comics laugh then your viewed as weak. That is the reason everyone is teaming up on Dat. I agree that Dat was very humorous in the non house rounds. But when the cameras on him in the house, all he's doing is saying, "I hope those eastcoasters don't team up on me." When the camera is on Rich, Dave, Ralphie, or even Tess they are saying something at least amusing or making light of the situation. If these people weren't in the house the show wouldn't be funny. So until Dat starts making the other comics laugh, the comedians have no reason to think he will be funny.
    Thoughts? Comments?

I think Dave,Tess, Rich and Ralphie are trying to make an entertaining show, Whereas Dat, Tere and maybe Geoff to a lesser extent are there to play/win the contest. I hope Dave and Rich don't usually take a bath together, but they are at all times trying to be funny.

I think some of the comedians were in the same prelim rounds, therefore did get to hear a bit of eachother.

I am just guessing at that though... I don't remember who made it on the same night Dat did.

Also, everyone seems to think Ralphie is so funny, and that it was crazy/brave/respectful of Rob to call him out... why would all of them feel that way if they didn't know how Ralphie was? He has not done well in the "communicating with the public" contest dealio's.

I don't know... I'm rambling... sorry and Welcome to the FORT
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

The 20 semi-finalists all performed on the same night to get us to the ten finalists.
    I'm not sure whether they were able to hear a whole lot of each other's sets, they might just be going on what they've heard since they've been in the house.

I know Vos has been on the tv a few times, so some of them might have caught his act then.

Dat just seems like an intense kind of guy, I wonder if he has to be onstage to really be "on", whereas with many of the others it's just more natural for them to make funny comments.

to the site DrMack
    Last edited by fluff; 07-13-2003 at 09:42 PM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by DrMack
    Comedians like Tere, Dat, and to a lesser extent Geoff haven't been funny IN THE HOUSE. This is no reflection on their standup, but if your not consistently making the other comics laugh then your viewed as weak. That is the reason everyone is teaming up on Dat.
    I think you're right, DrMack! The coalition sees the others as being weak if they are not being silly and joking all the time like they do. Even Dave is seen in the previews telling Dat that he hasn't heard him saying anything funny while they have been at the house. Those that don't fit in with their group will be targeted, imo.

Welcome to the FORT, DrMack!

FORT Regular
    Also, everyone seems to think Ralphie is so funny, and that it was crazy/brave/respectful of Rob to call him out... why would all of them feel that way if they didn't know how Ralphie was? He has not done well in the "communicating with the public" contest dealio's.

Come on I have done great in the challenges...second getting people to give you money, and I did it with jokes. On begging people I also tied for second with two people, on the pitch... I stunk, plain and simple I didn't prepare anything.

But I would never say that I didn't do well, I just didn't win. I'll tell you something one of the challenges coming up I personally refused to do, cause it had nothing to do with comedy.

Ralphie May

Welllllll ... I suspect (and Ralphie can probably verify this) that comics are more intensely aware of other comics in the field than we might suspect.

Both as 'the competition' and in studying or being students of another's work. Part of it goes back to the whole comic subculture we don't know much about.

I notice that many of the comedians can so easily call another for stealing a bit ("Oh, Margaret Cho did that years ago.") and what was the thing Joe Rogan complained about in the auditions?

I'm guessing they are students of past masters.

And especially for the east coast/west coast folks, they absolutely know that Vos, Dave and Ralphie are 'oldsters' and thus forces to be reckoned with.

And I think there is a lot to be said for the assumption that Dat is a 'poser' because his goal really isn't to be a comedian, but to use the comedy as a springboard to something else.

I'm rambling. Am I making any sense?

um... DrMack

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Bumpkin, Rogan pointed out that Ant's act in the semi-finals contained a joke that was in the movie Boiler Room I think it was the joke about boxing being invented by a gay guy because it involves two guys in silk shorts fighting over a purse and a belt.

As for making sense? Are we supposed to do that?

*runs to read Official FORT Writers Guidelines*

And Ralphie, I'll be interested to see what it is that you refuse to do. I have to admit, with some many things they could make you do that are comedy related, I don't blame you for refusing one that had nothing to do with comedy.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    The 20 semi-finalists all performed on the same night to get us to the ten finalists.
    I'm not sure whether they were able to hear a whole lot of each other's sets, they might just be going on what they've heard since they've been in the house.

I know Vos has been on the tv a few times, so some of them might have caught his act then.

Dat just seems like an intense kind of guy, I wonder if he has to be onstage to really be "on", whereas with many of the others it's just more natural for them to make funny comments.

to the site DrMack
    We the contestants never got to see each other's acts. Before the show though I had worked with a lot of the comics. But on the show no we couldn't see each other until the head to head.

Ralphie May

Aha, thanks Ralphie, I wondered about that.
    It's hard to tell from the show whether they would have a comic waiting in the wings while another was doing his/her set, or whether you'd all be out back awaiting your turn.

Thanks for clearing that up
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast