+ Reply to Thread

Thread: are you all watching the same show?

FORT Newbie

are you all watching the same show?

hello all- Just stopped in to see what others thought and I'm really suprised!
    Last week (when Sean was voted off), I was shocked by the way the comics acted toward him, on the bus especially, and even more suprised that NBC let them all into the audience- which obviously sways audience reaction. Also, isn't the first comedian usually the "warm up"? It seems to me that the one going first is always at a disadvantage- maybe they should have flipped a coin-guess we'll see how it plays out.
    Also unfair, they seemed to edit down Sean's time, while they showed the other three rountines straight through, from "hello" to "thanks".
    It was obvious that personalities clashed from the beginning, as they do, and that we never get to see the whole story. Contrary to one posting I read- they certainly can edit personalities by editing reactions, pov's, explanations- I have had personal experience with this. Nevertheless, on the bus a gang menatllity insued and I was too embarassed to even watch some of those middle-aged comedians, who should have known better. It was like grade school when, to be thought cool by the bullies, all of the kids joined the few, whether or not it was justified. I thought Sean Kent handled it pretty well by not taking it to another level.
    It illustrated the very reason they didn't like him- he remained his own person throughout- and people who resort to teasing hate people like Sean. Rich is just such an illiterate and vacuous idiot, I was suprised to see the others choose to follow his lead. What was Ralpie May's beef? "punk ass bitch" ? why? Tess seems to be the only one left with her own mind. Any of the comedians left (excluding Rob Cantrell) would sell each other out without a second thought. Dat is the most desperate appearing of them all.
    Then, onto this past week when they voted off Teri. That Cory is a bitter old hag- and her routine was not funnier than Teri's! But I suppose it is all a matter of taste. When it comes to comedy, talent is in the eye of the beholder. I personally think that comedy routines based on dialects have been done to death! You have to offer more than an imitation of how other's speak- but I guess if it works....
    I do know that two of the most original and nicest comedians have been drummed out so far, and I'm only watching now to see the rest turn on each other and get what they deserve. Poor Rob.... I worry for him!

Girlwatching here are some of my thoughts:

I totally agree about the bus ride to the first challenge. They were flat out Jr.High School mean to Sean. But I do think Sean must not have fit in very well because we only saw him argue with 2 people on the show, it seems as if most of the comics wanted him out. But I do not agree that that is any reason not to show common courtesy to another person.

As far as Tere leaving, I think 2 of the votes were random and then the group of Rich, Dave, Corey and Ralphie chose to vote for her.

I Think the person who got the most votes should go first, that is the disadvantage of getting the most challenges.

As far as Corey and Tere's sets went I was shocked as far as the voting, I thought it would have been much closer.

I don't think they showed all of anyone's set. First I'm sure that crowd did not come in for 10 minutes of comedy. I noticed that Tere came out with her purse, when she was done it was on the floor and we did not ever see her put it down. I do think we saw much more of Dave's then Sean's, but that is possible he didn't go over that well and they showed his highlights.

thinks he's so smart MyNameIsKenny's Avatar
    True, Sean may have been made to look bad by the editing, but the fact is that he did manage to turn the entire house against him. And considering that initally everyone was on his side during the whole smoking thing, that's a feat. I think you're giving Sean too much credit here. You're making guesses by what you THINK was edited out.

Remember that Rich, the "vacuous idiot," was the one who initially tried to make peace with Sean.

I do know that two of the most original and nicest comedians have been voted out
    You forgot "least funny." Seriously, editing aside, did you really laugh harder for Sean than for Dave?
    Last edited by MyNameIsKenny; 07-04-2003 at 10:36 AM.
    Hot news just in -- Michael Jackson has a new album coming out. That's right, folks, it's called [pedophilia joke].

Well, Sean's routine did not sound original or creative to me. He had some funny lines, but for the most part, he wasn't really that funny. Tere was more creative than Cory in presenting her material, but she wasn't funnier than Cory, imo. We all won't agree on who is funnier than who because as you said, it's all a matter of taste.

The ride to the challenge when some of them were picking on Sean was kind of childish, but you have to understand that they ARE comedians. Some will find a way to make jokes out of the situations they encounter. Like someone said, Comedy ain't pretty!

BTW, welcome to the FORT, girl!

FORT Fogey
    I doubt they send the comics out there cold. Jay Mohr probably warms the audience up first. I watched the auditions as well as the challenges, and I couldn't figure out how Sean and Tere beat some the others to the house...so it spells justice to me that they are out!

Transplanted Texas Gal!! ahlene's Avatar

Re: are you all watching the same show?

Originally posted by girl watching
    hello all- Just stopped in to see what others thought and I'm really suprised!
    Last week (when Sean was voted off), I was shocked by the way the comics acted toward him, on the bus especially, and even more suprised that NBC let them all into the audience- which obviously sways audience reaction. Also, isn't the first comedian usually the "warm up"? It seems to me that the one going first is always at a disadvantage- maybe they should have flipped a coin-guess we'll see how it plays out.
    Also unfair, they seemed to edit down Sean's time, while they showed the other three rountines straight through, from "hello" to "thanks".
    It was obvious that personalities clashed from the beginning, as they do, and that we never get to see the whole story. Contrary to one posting I read- they certainly can edit personalities by editing reactions, pov's, explanations- I have had personal experience with this. Nevertheless, on the bus a gang menatllity insued and I was too embarassed to even watch some of those middle-aged comedians, who should have known better. It was like grade school when, to be thought cool by the bullies, all of the kids joined the few, whether or not it was justified. I thought Sean Kent handled it pretty well by not taking it to another level.
    It illustrated the very reason they didn't like him- he remained his own person throughout- and people who resort to teasing hate people like Sean. Rich is just such an illiterate and vacuous idiot, I was suprised to see the others choose to follow his lead. What was Ralpie May's beef? "punk ass bitch" ? why? Tess seems to be the only one left with her own mind. Any of the comedians left (excluding Rob Cantrell) would sell each other out without a second thought. Dat is the most desperate appearing of them all.
    Then, onto this past week when they voted off Teri. That Cory is a bitter old hag- and her routine was not funnier than Teri's! But I suppose it is all a matter of taste. When it comes to comedy, talent is in the eye of the beholder. I personally think that comedy routines based on dialects have been done to death! You have to offer more than an imitation of how other's speak- but I guess if it works....
    I do know that two of the most original and nicest comedians have been drummed out so far, and I'm only watching now to see the rest turn on each other and get what they deserve. Poor Rob.... I worry for him!
    I agree with you about the mob rule thing. I worry about Dat. It seems they are out to get him now because he is not part of their group. Of course we all know they only show us what they want us to see. I think Rob keeps a very low profile and he does not really stand out or is not radically different so right now they are leaving him alone. Altho I think they will try to get rid of him after Dat. If you noticed the two people who have gotten the boot so far are both west coast. Not that that means anything especially since they are showing ON the west coast right? But the leaders in this pack are from the east coast correct?

Anyhow I agree with a lot of what you said and I have to comment on the time thing for Dave and Sean. I thought it seemed like they showed a lot more of Dave's routine than they did of Sean's so I timed it (smile) Dave got about 10 seconds longer. Now if that made a difference I can't tell.

I personally liked the comedy part of this show BEFORE they went into the house. I do not like conflict (altho I know that is exactly the reason a lot of people tune into these types of programs). For me I love the funny parts and not the nasty parts. Oh well ... JMHO :-)

HAPPY 4TH TO ALL

Quote Originally Posted by touque
    I watched the auditions as well as the challenges, and I couldn't figure out how Sean and Tere beat some the others to the house...so it spells justice to me that they are out!

Might I add some thoughts of my own? Thanks!

The busride-I believe there was some dialogue about the busride even before they showed it...first off, Sean wouldnt even shake Dave's hand when Dave offered it after he was challenged. Then they were talking about how Sean was all uptight prior to getting on the bus, and that Dave was all loosey goosey because that is his nature. Then when they were on the bus, Sean just sat there and pouted, and pouted...the others were trying to include him in the conversation, but couldnt get through the pout barrier....that is when the Sean ribbing began. Again, I am going from memory.

I agree that Cory did not seem that much funnier than Tere in their face off. However, the 3rd time I heard "Right On..Cha cha cha" I almost turned the channel! Tere was humorous, but not rolling on the floor funny. Cory's humor is just more appealing to the masses.

So far, in 2 head to head matchups, the person who received the most votes has gone first. I was thinking the same thing...that whoever goes first is at a disadvantage, but at least they have been consistent so far. Its true...the person receiving the most votes SHOULD go first, as they are the comic who is being voted out, thus not in a position of power.

There is obviously a lot we did not see in relation to Sean and Ralphie. Ralphie did seem quite pissed at Sean when he voted.

As far as the 2 "nicest" comics being booted so far, I would have to say that that could very well be the reason they are out. Comedy is not "nice". Usually, it is fun at someones expense...whether it be the comedian, people in the comedian's life, people from the comedian's ethnicity, or the audience. Probably the funniest comic I ever saw live was Bob Zany. The guy comes out and just improvs the whole time....insulting and making fun of the audience. Nice? Definetly not. Funny?? I almost pissed my pants! I even laughed when he was making fun of me and my friends(we were in the front row!)
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by girl watching
    Contrary to one posting I read- they certainly can edit personalities by editing reactions, pov's, explanations- I have had personal experience with this.

Rich is just such an illiterate and vacuous idiot, I was suprised to see the others choose to follow his lead.

Any of the comedians left (excluding Rob Cantrell) would sell each other out without a second thought. Dat is the most desperate appearing of them all.

But I suppose it is all a matter of taste. When it comes to comedy, talent is in the eye of the beholder. I personally think that comedy routines based on dialects have been done to death! You have to offer more than an imitation of how other's speak- but I guess if it works....
    Welcome to the FORT, GW!

I think you made some great points. I think that a show like this brings out differing points of view for the very reason you stated; comedy is subjective, and what is funny to me might not be funny to you.

I always find it interesting how different folks here on the site interpret the personalities we see on TV. While you thought Sean was a nice guy and Cory is a hag, I think Sean was a jerk and Cory is a pretty reasonable person. And we both saw the same show. My guess is that you don't like Cory because she made the crack about Sean's hat and she might have been more diplomatic when she asked for help cleaning up. Personally, if I'm doing all the work and someone else is sitting on their rear, I'm likely to get annoyed with them as well. But I can't for the life of me figure out what you saw that made you like Sean so much. I mean, it is possible he's a very good comic and a very nice guy, but what I saw on the show was:

a) he hit Vos with a serve, then laughed about it rather than showing any concern for him at all. Not cool in my book.

b) he refused to shake Dave's hand when it was offered to him. Why? The editing leads us to believe it was because Dave told him he didn't think he was funny. A gentleman - a nice guy - shakes hands.

c) he said he chose to face Dave over Ralphie because Ralphie could cook. I'm sorry, but I don't buy that for a second. He chose Dave because he thought he could beat Dave and thought Ralphie was "a likeable fat guy" that she couldn't beat. I don't blame him for chosing the guy he thought he could beat - but the reason he gave wasn't genuine.

d) I didn't find his humor to be original at all. It's been pointed out here that the egg joke he told was a David Brenner joke told on the Tonight Show over 20 years ago. And yourself pointed out that comedy routines based on dialects have been done to death - as have jokes about Southerners.

So, from what I saw (and yes, I know there is editing to consider), okay, but not the greatest material, and more importantly, not the best sport in the world. Where did I miss all the nice guy stuff? And what made you think Sean was original? What have the others done that make you think they'd sell each other out? Heck, we haven't seen enough of Geoff to know what he'd do.

I'd love to get the chance to interview the contestants as we do here on the FORT with the TAR contestants, but NBC hasn't answered my requests.
    Last edited by Wayner; 07-08-2003 at 07:18 PM.

+ Reply to Thread