+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of comedy makes a winner?

What kind of comedy makes a winner?

I thought both Cory and Tere did solid sets last night - not great, nothing that blew me away, but solid. What sold the audience on Cory, I think, is that her humor and her look are more accessible to people. Someone like Tere gets up there and the audience expects them to be bizarre and over the top, which Tere is to a certain extent, but not necessarily in a good way. The chachacha thing was just annoying; it's gimmicky and silly, but not particularly funny. But Cory got up there and did material about married life and family life, things that most everyone can relate to.

Last week, Sean made fun of the South a bit, which isn't particularly new or original material. Personally, I found it interesting that he ragged on the South so much yet wore that darn cowboy hat. If you're going to insult the South, why not dispense with the hat? Dave did stuff about his father and the camper - childhood experiences that you can sort of relate to. And his delivery was very much in character with who he seems to be - he relates to the audience because he's just a regular guy like everyone else.

This show seems to be being judged by typical comedy club patrons, those (generally) being in their early twenties to early forties, largely white, largely straight. I think Ralphie's "I'm a white guy but I'll convince you I have the soul of a black man" act is going to wear thin. I think Tess's "I'm a big sexy black woman who is going to simultaneously joke with and insult the skinny women in the crowd" is going to get old quickly. And I think Rob's eclectic random humor may grate on an older audience.

All of the people in that house are funny comics in their own right. But in the end, it's a matter of who can really entertain and win over the audience that is judging them.

Thoughts?
    Joy
    Blogging away in my LaughAtlantis world...

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    Absolutely agree with, LaughAtlantis. How do we know if the audience is a sampling of the American public?

I don't think I found Cory particularly funnier than Tere, Tere was just far more annoying and I think if I had been in the audience I'd have voted for Cory.

Tere's makes her look part of her act in a "look at me, I'm wacky" kind of way, which for me gets old quick.
    The "I give myself permission to fail" line was so old too.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Transplanted Texas Gal!! ahlene's Avatar
    Fluff I agree with you about Cory not being that much funnier than Tere. At least not 80% funnier for sure. Altho I didn't care for Tere that much in the first place (Cory either actually) and I think that gal from Minnesota (can't remember her name) but I think she was funnier than either Cory or Tere and she didn't make it to the house. I honestly think the only reason Tere made it to the house because she "looked so different" ... JMHO
    Tons of Free Screen Shots for Survivor Allstars
    http://www.bafletcher.com
    Stop by and visit our forum also
    Usually over 200 shots per episode

Originally posted by ahlene
    Fluff I agree with you about Cory not being that much funnier than Tere. At least not 80% funnier for sure.
    I think Cory was a lot funnier than Tere. Eventhough Tere had the best set she's had on the show she still wasn't funny, IMO. I just don't like Tere's kind of humor. When Cory got 80% of the votes, that's not saying her set was 80% funnier than Tere's it's just that 80% of the people in the audience thought she was funnier and/or a better comedian than Tere, so they voted for her.

Transplanted Texas Gal!! ahlene's Avatar
    Oh thank you for explaining the 80% thing to me :-)
    Tons of Free Screen Shots for Survivor Allstars
    http://www.bafletcher.com
    Stop by and visit our forum also
    Usually over 200 shots per episode

FORT Fogey
    Well, I think it's going to be the person who can make the audience roll in the aisles laughing. We've noticed Dave getting solid laughter and Cory getting some good laughs. But I think the one person capable of making the audience roar is Ralphie. He did it before, with a partial standing O even, and if he can do that when it counts, he's going to win, I think.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Originally posted by fluff
    I don't think I found Cory particularly funnier than Tere, Tere was just far more annoying and I think if I had been in the audience I'd have voted for Cory.

Tere's makes her look part of her act in a "look at me, I'm wacky" kind of way, which for me gets old quick.
    The "I give myself permission to fail" line was so old too.
    Agreed, Fluff. Was anyone esle reminded of the Stuart Smalley character from SNL "Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dogginit, people like me."

And LaughAtlantis - awesome post - you made some excellent points!

Originally posted by touque
    Well, I think it's going to be the person who can make the audience roll in the aisles laughing. We've noticed Dave getting solid laughter and Cory getting some good laughs. But I think the one person capable of making the audience roar is Ralphie. He did it before, with a partial standing O even, and if he can do that when it counts, he's going to win, I think.
    I agree, but again, comedy is subjective. What makes you laugh out loud, might not make me laugh that much.

Ralphie is definitley a crowd-pleaser, and I laughed at his jokes onstage. Same with Dave and Rich. But Dat had me more than the others, and that's why he's my favorite. Of course, we need to see more of everyone's acts because so far, I'm only going by what I've seen on the auditions and the few face-offs.

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by Wolf

Ralphie is definitley a crowd-pleaser, and I laughed at his jokes onstage. Same with Dave and Rich. But Dat had me more than the others, and that's why he's my favorite. Of course, we need to see more of everyone's acts because so far, I'm only going by what I've seen on the auditions and the few face-offs.
    Yes, Dat is another comic that really had the audience going. I guess what I was trying to say is, judging by the auditions, Ralphie got the best responses from the audiences, both the first one and the Vegas one. Dave made me laugh harder than Ralphie did; but I was judging it based on how they seemed to be affecting the live audience.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast